Originally the Queen’s College of Saint Margaret and Saint Bernard in the University of Cambridge. Founded 1448 by Margaret of Anjou (wife of Henry VI).
Refounded 1465 by Elizabeth Woodville (wife of Edward IV).
Sister College -– Pembroke College Oxford. Men and Women – Undergraduates 490 Postgraduates 450.
Queens’ College is deceptively large with a range of old and new buildings dating back to the 15th century, with seven courts, two gardens and a grove. It is part of the group that make up the Cambridge ‘Backs’; colleges situated in the most beautiful part of the city, by the River Cam, backing on to Queen’s Road (named after Queen Victoria, not the college). The river dissects the site, with the original medieval buildings to the east; affectionately know as ‘dark site’, and the later fabric to the west ‘light side’. Queens’ is only a 5-minute walk away from the city centre to the north, and the University Library to the west.
The admissions policy is to encourage anyone who can meet the high academic standard expected regardless of background or financial limitations. The college is home to 450 postgraduates and 490 undergraduates in a gender divide that favours men by 16%. Students from state schools are in the majority by 6%.
Mathematical Bridge myth
The much photographed Mathematical Bridge, usually with punts gently drifting underneath, links the two sides. This iconic timber bridge, along with King’s College Chapel, has come to symbolise all that is romantic about Cambridge University. It was first built in 1749, by James Essex the Younger; to a design by William Etheridge and not as legend has it, by Isaac Newton, although the bridge has been rebuilt to the same design twice. Hearsay states the structure was origina...
... middle of paper ...
...away sections resulting in extensive underpinning.
Friars’ Court was constructed in 1886 to cope with the influx of students and was designed by W.M. Fawcett, in a red brick stone trim Revival Gothic style to echo First Court. The Fisher building on the west side is an arching curve that adopts a neo-Tudor red brick style. This accommodation block was designed by G.C. Drinkwater in 1936 and sits in front of an open meadow.
Modern architecture is well represented on the west side, with the clean lines of Cripps Court designed by Powell and Moya, concrete and pillar structures built in stages between 1974 and 1980. Lyon Court was completed in 1989 as phase three of the Cripps development.
Famous former students include the much-loved comedian and writer Stephen Fry, the internationally renowned radio astronomer John E. Baldwin and Lucy Caldwell novelist and playwright.