The majority of Americans believe English is the official language of the United States. However, The United States has no official language at all. This mistake is commonly based upon English being the most popular language spoken in North America. Making English official has recently become a popular topic, and more people every day join a curiosity of why it is not the official language. English should be the official language of the United States to give the people what they want, to recognize the historic role, and to limit controversy.
English should be the only language used in the, because the majority of business and government is conducted in English. English is the language is the most spoken in the United States, because there is no official language. The diversity of English is also known as American English. English is originated in England which is a West Germanic language. English is also inherited from British colonization.
Changing the national language to english in America would be considered an act against races because choosing one language out of all the 311 languages spoken in America would eliminate 310 of them and how would you even begin to choose? It is easy to say making the english the primary language is a good idea because the majority of people speak it but there is also the 17.9% of America's population that does not speak english. That leaves 82.1% of America’s population speaking fluent english, or enough to get by. Although it is just less than 20% of the worlds population that does not speak fluent english, it is estimated to cost close to $200,000,000 per year to make a specific language America’s primary language. The decision now is whether or not to spend $200,000,000 per year on so little of the population (Hayakawa, 564).
English becoming the official language would hinder assimilation for immigrants. Being an outsider in the world is terrifying enough; immigrants should not be demanded to learn English if they do not want to. According to Chairman Mauro E. Mujica, 97% our nation speaks English. There is only a remaining 3% that do not speak English. We do not need an official language to enforce the majority of the population to speak English.
For many, if not most colonists, there was no such thing as "American," at least not in the sense of being a nationality, no more so than one's nationality could be Georgian or Mississippian or Montanan and not American today. Whether or not the colonists were in close proximity with the English throne was of no concern. It might take longer for the colonists to receive their mail and newspapers, but they were still citizens. One major ideological similarity between the colonists and the European English was the e... ... middle of paper ... ...in Europe. The Americans had even adopted an extreme belief that they could, and should, reject the rule of the King, and any other monarch.
Nathan Tabor, being another proposer and the author of “Speaking English Preserves Our National Heritage”, believes that our country has become a multicultural ground for several ethnicities with different backgrounds. Throughout his essay, he strongly emphasizes that all citizens should adapt to a common culture by accepting the English language as the official gateway to success in the American society. With the reliance on these perspectives, every citizen of the United States should accept the English language, which supports the American cultural traditions, ensures the idea of the American Dream, and preserves our union. As previously mentioned, Charles Krauthammer says that Canada, being founded on bilingualism, has no other choice but to engage with this divisibility in its path. America, on the other hand, was founded by founding fathers who believed the United States was “blessed with a single common language” (Let’s Make It Official 707).
If a country doesn’t have an official language is usually due to distinct historical or cultural reasons. As I began reading articles on this topic, I was amazed that the great country I live in doesn’t have an official language. I begin to wonder why this is the case. Many countries have an official language in which all the official business, daily activities and other formal activities are conducted. There are even thirty (30) states that have succeeded through their own statutes to declare English as an official language of their particular state (www.us-english.org).
Although English has been the common language of America for over two hundred years, it has never become the official language. Therefore, question like "Does America need an official language?" has been raised and argued in recent decades. Both sides hold very strong arguments on this controversial issue. In the articles "English Should Be Official" by Bradley S. O' Leary and "Language Cements Nationhood" by Ron Saunders, two authors uphold to make English the nation's official language, while the articles "English Shouldn't Be Official" by Victor Kamber, and "Does America Need an "Official" Language" by Tuben G. Rumbaut and Alejandro Portes are opposed to this resolution.
The idea at the time was, kids would learn in their native language and simply pick up English gradually. Those ideas were radicalized in the 1970’s however, the premise moved away from gradual learning of English; to English wasn’t really necessary. In 1981 Bilingual education came under assault from newly elected president Reagan proposed moving to the English Only system. The idea wasn’t viewed as Anti-Hispanic at the time, or as some kind of racist proposal. Reagan was adored by a majority of th... ... middle of paper ... ...and since 1908 printed exclusively in English by the United States Government.
American Sign Language is considered a foreign language by 40 states around the United States. American Sign Language is not considered a foreign language, because a foreign language is defined by “any language used in a country other than one’s own; a language that is studied mostly for cultural insight”. By definition American Sign Language does not fit that description because, it is only used in America. American Sign Language is also not qualified as a foreign language because people say that a language must have literature for proper study when American Sign Language does not, also people have argued that American Sign Language lacks the same element of culture as other foreign language courses. But in other cases American Sign Language can be considered a foreign language in many ways just as it cannot be considered a foreign language.