preview

Nursing Case Study: Summary Of A Urinary Patient

Summary of patient condition My patient name is Francis A. Johnson. She is a 52-year-old woman, who is under my care at a nursing home currently. She has been diagnosed with a urinary infection and this test was conducted from a urine sample. It is also documented in her medical file that she’s allergic to shell fish and iodine. Mrs. Johnson suffered a spinal cord injury 10 years ago. She has lost proper function in her hip and both legs muscles, including bladder and bowel as the result of an injury to the sacral nerves; previous to the infection. She didn’t say how the injury occurred, however this kind of injury can be a result of motor vehicle accident, falls, trauma, birth defects, degeneration and osteoporosis. Johnson requires an intermittent…show more content…
The bacteria tested positive for being a facultative anaerobe, because the entire tube appeared cloudy. The bacteria grown everywhere in the test tube, meaning that my unknown bacteria can produce ATP in the presence of oxygen and it can also switch to fermentation in the absence of oxygen. A negative result would show a stub line after incubation, because the bacteria did not move. They can only move if they have flagella. A feather out or cloudy appearance of the test tube identifies a positive mobility result. After conducting the gram stain test, we still needed to confirm that the bacterium was truly a gram negative or gram-positive bacterium. The MacConkey media was used to grow gram-negative bacteria and inhibit the growth of gram- positive. The bile salts and crystalviolet ingredients are selective against gram-positive bacteria; it can also be used to differentiate between gram-negative bacteria. The MacConkey media allowed Providencia stuartii to grow in the test plate. I also did a lawn on the MSA plate, but the bacteria did not grow because MSA is selective against gram-negative. There is 5% salt in MSA limited the growth of gram- negative and Coliforms, such as E-coli. The second test that was done is the oxidase. This test was done to detect whether or not the organism is aerobic or not. To perform this test, I took a sterile…show more content…
Taking a loop full of the bacteria and transferring it into the test broth was how the test was done. It was incubated at human body temperature. My bacteria result was negative because it did not change color from red to yellow. A positive-test shows a color change from red to yellow, because the bacteria ferment the sugar into acid, changing the color to yellow and the pH of acidic (pH 6-1). So I started up with an alkaline solution that was not metabolically changed by the bacteria into an acid solution. Gas can also be produced as a positive result. Another test that was done was the triple sugar iron test. A loop full of the bacteria was transferred from the TSA plate to the broth; a spiral streak was carefully done to prevent poking the broth. A positive result changes to a dark color and a negative test did not. This result shows that my bacteria do not ferment the sugars glucose, lactose and sucrose. Bacteria that can ferment these three sugars have the ability to produce hydrogen sulfide gas. The Gelatin test was to determine whether or not the organism has the enzyme gelatinase that hydrolyzes gelatin. A gelatin broth was obtained and was stabbed with the unknown bacteria. The media remained solid, meaning that the gelatinase enzyme was not present. Bacteria with this enzyme break down gelatin, making the solution liquefy. The last metabolic test that was done is the citrate. The test result was positive, the citrate Simmon tube

More about Nursing Case Study: Summary Of A Urinary Patient

Get Access