McSnoop: Franchising the War Against Global Terror. As long as Muslim dictators throughout the oil-rich Middle East continue to buy off imams who...
2029 Words9 Pages
McSnoop: Franchising the War Against Global Terror.
As long as Muslim dictators throughout the oil-rich Middle East continue to buy off imams who teach conspiracy theories and violence against non-Muslims, and the emergence of homegrown terrorist groups in the West is left unchecked, there is little hope for a secure future. Without a vast reformation movement within Islam, their religiosocial system will continue to flourish, which is why the U.S. National Intelligence Estimate predicts that terrorism will increase in the years ahead.
In the fight against terror, McSnoop offers an alternative to the militarism, unlawful detentions, and illegal wiretaps that have proved costly in blood and treasure, ineffective, and polarizing, while destabilizing Muslim populations and fostering the spread of radical Islam around the globe.
In broad terms, radical Islamists:
1) seek to reestablish the caliphate and rule the Muslim world, i.e., the imposition of Islamic law in nuclear-armed Pakistan,
2) call for the elimination of Western alliances, influence, culture, and commerce from the globe,
3) rely on myriad soft, noncombatant, civilian targets that are vulnerable to terrorism to achieve their objectives,
4) operate through decentralized factions, or sleeper terror cells, rather than a central command,
5) attack Muslims and non-Muslims with equal fervor,
6) create discord between the Muslim world and the globalizing West,
7) perpetuate apprehension and jeopardize personal liberty with a global strategy of continued threats and periodic attacks.
While deciphering Lansky’s scribble, I recalled a stat from the New York Times that led me to think that “sleeper cells” in America must be comatose. Outside of the Afghanistan and Iraqi war...
... middle of paper ...
...nal authorities, minimizing the trepidation one might experience if instructed to contact the military or police directly. Under McSnoop, informants who reported terrorists and/or their planned attacks would be financially rewarded and could choose to enter the most comprehensive and far-reaching witness protection program ever devised. They and their families would be relocated to safe havens throughout the world, which might significantly improve their quality of life.
The primary goal of McSnoop is to embolden Muslims who have felt threatened or discouraged from coming forward to disclose what they know. By the same token, personal vendettas, in which McSnoop was intentionally exploited to spread misinformation or false accusations, would be counterproductive, since remuneration and relocation would be conditioned upon the veracity and the quality of the intel.