Louis Riel

Better Essays
Louis Riel

Louis Riel was the first child of Louis Riel Pere and Julie Lagimodière. He was born October 22, 1844 in St. Boniface. His mother was the seventh child of Jean-Baptiste Lagimodière and Marie-Anne Gaboury. Louis Riel Pere had been born at Ile-à-la-Crosse in 1817. He was the son of Jean-Baptiste Riel dit l'Irlande and Marguerite Boucher. Both of Louis Riel's parents were Catholics.

Louis Riel spent his childhood on the east bank of the Red River, on the property of his Lagimodière grandparents. He grew up with the Métis. He was extremely aware of his identity. At the age of ten, he began his education, and started studying at the school run by the Christian Brothers.

Going to Montreal on June 1, 1858, with his Sister Valade. They travelled for five weeks before arriving in Montreal on July 5. In Montreal, Louis was admitted to the College de Montreal run by the Gentlemen of St. Sulpice. This is where he studied an eight year course of studies, which included Latin, Greek, French, English, Philosophy and Science. Louis was an excellent student and, placed himself at the top of his class. He was full of grief by the death of his father, on January 1864. Although he continued his studies, his instructors found that his attitude had changed. In March 1865, he left the College de Montreal. He was granted permission to continue his studies as a student while living with Nuns. After breaking the rules several times and repeatedly missing class, he was asked to leave both the College and the convent.

The world which faced him as he left the College was full with strong political activity. During this period, Louis lived with his aunt, Lucie Riel, and managed to find employment in the law office. Louis fel...

... middle of paper ...

...ed that he was cured.

Riel was sentenced to hang on September 18. Than is was postponed to November 16. On the day of the execution got a visit from his family and on November 6, he wrote his will.

During the night of the 15th and the early hours of the 16th, he wrote one last letter to his mother and received the last finances. At 8:00 a.m., he climbed the stairs to the stage for his execution.

On November 19, a service was sung for the rest of Riel's soul at St. Mary's Church in Regina. On December 9, his body was returned to St. Vital where it layed for 2 days in his mother's house. A funeral song was sung December 12 at St. Boniface Cathedral and his body was buried in the church yard.

There lived and died a man who we recognize today as the founder of the Province of Manitoba and defender of the rights of the Métis and of French Canadians.