Jimmy Hoffa Case Study

1299 Words6 Pages
Almost half a century has passed since the mysterious disappearance of James Riddle Hoffa. In a time where unions were synonymous with the mob, James Hoffa reigned ruthlessly over the Teamsters Union. While Jimmy was president, he obtained labor contracts using any means necessary. Those contracts were intertwined with the mafia and helped the Teamsters Union flourish. Jimmy Hoffa’s closely-knit relationship with the mafia proves the existence of violence and corruption in the nation’s largest labor union which ultimately lead to his murder on July 30, 1975. The story of the years before his disappearance and his actual disappearance seem like they came out of a Hollywood movie script. The suspects in the case, Russell Bufalino, Anthony…show more content…
It wasn’t until March 1964 that the Justice Department had something on Hoffa that would send him to prison (“Jimmy Hoffa”). On March 4, 1964, a jury in Chattanooga convicted Jimmy of tampering with a federal jury in 1962 where Hoffa was on trial in Nashville for accepting illegal payments from an employer. During that trial, Hoffa and five other defendants were trying to sway the jury for their acquittal (“Hoffa Is Guilty”). Hoffa and his attorneys fought appeals for three years, but Hoffa was bound for prison. On March 6, 1967, Jimmy lost his final appeal and was required to turn himself in at 9 a.m. at the Federal Courthouse to start serving his sentence in Lewisburg Federal penitentiary (“Hoffa Goes to…show more content…
Earlier in the day, Hoffa, while at his summer cottage, had received a phone call about a meeting to settle a dispute between him and Anthony “Tony Pro” Provenzano. Hoffa was set to meet Anthony “Tony Jack” Giacalone, a longtime friend, and Tony Pro at the Machus Red Fox restaurant in Bloomfield Township, Michigan at 2 p.m. (Smith and Roach). Hoffa left his lake house in Lake Orion, Michigan at 11 a.m. for the nineteen-mile ride to the restaurant. Jimmy stopped to see a business associate, but he had already left for lunch. He mentioned to the office employee that he was meeting with the two men soon (Moldea 272). Jimmy arrived early for his meeting and parked his car in the north end of the lot. He called his wife from a pay phone in the Maple Plaza Shopping Center, across the street from the Machus Red Fox restaurant, to let her know that he would be home by 4 p.m. as the “party” hadn’t shown up (Smith and Roach). Jimmy never arrived home to his wife that day. Hoffa’s car was found in the parking lot unlocked the following morning. There were no signs of a struggle and no clues leading to Jimmy’s whereabouts. The events after the phone call to his wife are not clear, but there were two witnesses that came forward at 5 p.m. on July 31, 1976. The two men told Lt. Curt Grennier that they had recognized Hoffa from his picture. Jimmy was dressed in

    More about Jimmy Hoffa Case Study

      Open Document