Effects Of Veganism

1200 Words5 Pages
Veganism and its Effect on Health Although the idea of a vegan lifestyle is not a brand-new concept, there has been an increase in those who adopt this lifestyle in recent years. Some may think of veganism as simply a trend or a fad diet, but there are many people in the world who have fully embraced veganism and see it not as a diet, but as a way of life. It’s necessary to explain exactly what being vegan means. Veganism involves not only refraining from eating meat, but also not eating any animal-derived product, such as dairy. It is also important to note that there is a difference between being a vegan, and eating a vegan diet. Ethical vegans, who do not eat animal products typically do so because they disagree with killing or mistreating…show more content…
Typically, as opposed to a non-vegetarian diet, it has a higher content of fiber, potassium, magnesium, Vitamins C and E, folic acid, and a fat content that is more unsaturated (Craig, 2009). Those who follow a vegan diet reap the same benefits, but often have a lower intake of saturated fat and cholesterol, and a higher intake of dietary fiber. Due to these factors, it is suggested that a vegan/vegetarian diet can reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease: two of the most common causes of death in our society (American Cancer Society Medical and Editorial Content Team, 2016). The reduction of these risks cause many to believe that a vegan or vegetarian diet ultimately leads to a longer life. A study carried out by Drs. Michael Orlich and Gary Fraser at Loma Linda University backs up this belief. The study analyzed the connection between diet and mortality in 73,000 Seventh-day Adventist men and women. Participants of this religion were chosen due to the fact that they have similar lifestyle habits and typically do not engage in risky behaviors such as drinking and smoking. About 48% of the test group were non-vegetarian. The other 52% were either vegan, vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian, or semi-vegetarian. After 6 years, there has been 2,570 deaths among the participants, and the death rates for those following a vegan or vegetarian diet were significantly lower than those of…show more content…
It is worth mentioning that many people who adopt this lifestyle do so because they are health conscious, and will have a lower chance of being a smoker, heavy drinker, or engaging in other activities that are detrimental to an individual’s health. This may have some correlation to the fact that those who are vegan or vegetarian have a lower mortality rate. However, there are many convincing scientific studies that show the positive physical effects, as well as the positive mental effects of this lifestyle. It could be reasoned that the fact that vegans and vegetarians are typically healthier, more physically fit, and have lower BMI’s than non-vegetarians has something to do with the fact that vegans seem to have better moods. It’s just part of the human condition that when someone feels healthy physically, they feel better mentally. Although there are drawbacks to the vegan and vegetarian way of eating, they are far outweighed by what is to be gained from adopting this lifestyle. It’s important for someone considering cutting meat or animal products out of their diet to do their research and ensure that they are getting the nutrients they need while reaping the benefits of eating a plant based

More about Effects Of Veganism

Open Document