Education Is An Important Part Of British Life

1037 Words5 Pages
What is school life like in a different country? Students in Britain have a very different school life than the students here in America. “Education is an important part of British life. There are hundreds of schools, colleges and universities, including some of the most famous in the world,” said Mandy Barrow. Students in Britain attend school longer, have shorter breaks, and their terms and requirements are much different than the schools regulations here in America. How long do students in Britain attend school each year? Students in Britain do not have to attend school as long as Americans do. For example, a student can drop out at the age of 16 instead of 18. Education is free and compulsory for all children between the ages of 5 – 16 (“Introduction”). Students in Britain get to eat breakfast for 2 hours, from 7 – 9. They also get to eat lunch for an hour and a half, from 12 – 1:30. The students receive free education from public funds. Although some schools make the students pay (Independent schools), most schools have a free school life. Only 7% of British children go to these Independent schools, and their parents must pay for as long as they attend the school. The other 93% of students go to a public school and do not have to pay to attend (“School Terms”). Some of the schools in Britain have harsh punishments for their children. Some are reasonable, but some are very different. For example, if a kid mouths off to a teacher, he or she could be taken out of the class. Some children even receive detention on Saturdays (“School Terms”). The teachers do not have to tell the parent or give the parent any notice that their child has been given an after-school detention. They also don’t have to give any reason for their child’s ... ... middle of paper ... ... a secondary school until they are sixteen to eighteen years of age (“Introduction”). They can graduate or drop out at the age of sixteen, but if they plan to move on to a college or a tech school, they must stay until they are eighteen years of age. American students have to graduate at eighteen regardless if they’re going to college or not. So, students in Britain attend school longer, have shorter breaks, and their terms and requirements are much different than the schools regulations here in America. Britain school life is more complex than the American school life. The students attend longer and their lessons are much difficult than Americas, and when they’re in primary school, they are already learning a second language. In the end, knowing all of the pros and cons for going to both an American school and a British school, which one would be better to attend?
Open Document