Bulloch Hall

1174 Words5 Pages
Bulloch Hall History: Seeing the Bulloch hall for first time, more than a historic building I felt it as something bright and pure and radiating. Just a glance at it turns our memories to about two hundred year back when the only way to escape cold winter was a warm fireplace and transportation was hand﷓oared boats and wagons. This same hall was the girlhood home of Mitte Bulloch, mother of the 26th president Theodore Roosevelt and grandmother of First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt. Major James Stephen Bulloch, one of Roswell's first settlers and the grandson of Governor of Archibald Bulloch built the Bulloch hall in 1840. The House: More than calling it a hall it should be called the Bulloch home, because it shows all the characters of a comfortable home. The entrance of this hall draws our attention to the long hallway lying across the house connecting all rooms and stairs. The first room from the hallway is the parlor which has an old, royal piano and a huge fireplace (the house altogether has 11 fireplaces). There are big huge windows in the parlor that lets the sunrays come through. The next was the dinning room, which was decorated by silverware from that period. The most wonderful thing that we see throughout this house is its furniture. The dinning table is a big one with a formal dinner set laid out there. A warming room right adjacent to the dinning room is the last room on the right of the hallway. On the left side of the hallway is the nursery room, which has a rocking chair and a riding pony from that time. On the other side of the master bedroom is the library, which is facing the grassy pastures before the house giving the reader a sense of relief and a good environment to read. The hallway th... ... middle of paper ... ...nth year, on February 10, 1878. Mitte Bulloch died six years later of typhoid fever on February 12, 1884. Mitte and Theodore's son Theodore Roosevelt Jr. later became the twenty sixth president of America and he visited his mother's childhood home on October 20, 1905. The City of Roswell acquired Bulloch Hall after passing a bond referendum in October 1977. Under provision of the Heritage Trust Program and a matching grand from Georgia Department of Natural Resources, the city took possession of Bulloch hall in January 1978. Administered by the Roswell Historic Preservation Commission, appointed by the Mayor and City Council, the home is a Cultural Center for the community and state. Being the part of this community doesn't mean one should donate something but rather not destroy the natural and historic beauty that it has in store for generations to come.

More about Bulloch Hall

Open Document