Brief Biography of Musician Ray Charles

Good Essays
Ray Charles Robinson was the son of Aretha and Bailey Robinson. When Ray was still a newborn, his family moved from Georgia, where he was born, to a poverty stricken community in Greenville, Florida. In the early years of child development, Ray showed a curiosity for anything mechanical and he often watched the men nearby work on their cars and farm machinery. His curiosity in music wasn’t sparked until one day when he snuck into Mr. Wiley Pit's Red Wing Café. When he came in Pit played boogie woogie on an old upright piano. Pit would care for George, Ray's younger brother, so as to take the burden off of Ray’s mom. However, George drowned in his mom’s laundry tub when he was four years old. After witnessing this horrific tragedy, Ray would feel an overwhelming sense of guilt later on in life.
Ray started to lose his eyesight at the age of five and went completely legally blind at the tender age of seven. Ray Charles’ mom tried hard to teach him how life would be for blind people. She told him to never let his problem become a cripple for him and to never let anyone take advantage of him just because of that. One way she tried to help him was that she told him to use his memory. He couldn’t see so he had to remember how many steps he took or how long it takes to get to one place so he won’t get lost. His mom eventually sent him away so he can get adequate care. She sent him to the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind in St. Augustine, Florida for 8 long years. This is where he developed his patent musical talent. Ray’s troubles wouldn’t end with becoming completely blind. His father died when he was 10, his mother died five years later when he was 15 while he was in school.
Ray Charles left the Florida School for the Deaf a...

... middle of paper ...

...ay in 1960. The song served as Ray’s first work with Sid Feller, who arranged and conducted the recording. Ray also won another Grammy for "Hit the Road Jack”. By the end of 1961, Ray had broadened his miniature road ensemble to a full-scale big boy band. This was partly as feedback to increasing royalties and touring fees. He was becoming one of the exiguous black artists to successfully crossover into mainstream pop. His success at this point, however, came to a temporary halt in November of 1961. The search of Ray’s hotel room in Indianapolis, Indiana, during a concert tour after police officers baited Ray into opening the door led to the discovery of heroin in his medicine cabinet. The case was inevitably expelled, as the search lacked a valid warrant by the police which violates the 4th Amendment, and Ray rapidly restituted his focus on music and recording.
Get Access