preview

Breast Cancer Essay

Satisfactory Essays
Breast Cancer

Ashley McCamey

4/15/2014

Breast cancer. The second leading cause of death among women. In the United States, over 220,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 40,000 will die each year. In men, 2,150 will be diagnosed and only 410 will die. Statistically only 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer and the risk is generally determined by genetics, diet, and lifestyle. But what is cancer? How do people get cancer? And why is breast cancer so prevalent in women? Let’s find out.
So what exactly is cancer? Doctors seem to throw that word around quite a bit. Well, cancer is actually a blanket term for a class of diseases that grow abnormal cells in the body and attack the healthy ones, which then begin reproducing very fast, causing the tissue around those cells to metastasize, or spread. So how does one get cancer? After all cancer isn’t like the flu or the common cold. You can’t just “get” it from someone else. Or can you?
In studies of cancer patients, doctors have found that only 10% of breast cancer patients had a family history of cancer. So how did the other 90% get cancer? Well, some patients were smokers or alcoholics, and originally had another type of cancer already and it had metastasized. Others had a poor diet, resulting in cell damage due to not getting enough nutrients for cell processes and growth. It has also been shown that exercising regularly (4 - 7 hours a week) also reduced the risk of developing breast cancer later on in life. It has also been shown that regular exercise can improve the quality of life in women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
Breast cancer is so prevalent in women because with the development of breasts in young girls during the ages of 11 - 14, breast...

... middle of paper ...

...ancer isn’t like the common cold or the flu. You can’t “catch” cancer or “give” it to someone else just by being around people. Another lesser known myth revolves around the BRCA gene. Just having the gene does not necessarily mean that you will develop breast cancer. Again, there is only a 25% chance of you developing cancer if you have a family history and there are many ways to reduce that risk. Studies have shown that just walking a mile every day reduces your risk by 10%. Another gross myth is that deodorants and antiperspirants can cause cancer. Researchers at the National Cancer Institute have not found any conclusive evidence for this link.

Works Cited
"Breast Cancer Information and Awareness." Breastcancer.org. Web. 20 Apr. 2014.
"Information, Awareness & Donations: The National Breast Cancer Foundation." Www.nationalbreastcancer.org. Web. 20 Apr. 2014.
Get Access