preview

Breast Cancer Awareness

Powerful Essays
According to the American Cancer Society, Every year, more than 200,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer; furthermore Twelve percent of all women will contract the disease, and 3.5% of them will die from breast cancer (American Cancer Society, 2005). There are risk factors that may lead to breast cancer. There are 4 stages of breast cancer and several treatments, although treatments vary from types and stages of breast cancer. Breast cancer is the leading cause of death among women who are 40 to 55 years old (Breast Cancer, 2009).When cells divides it causes cancer which then changes from an normal call to what’s called a cancerous cell that requires gene alterations. The uncontrolled growth and alter genes is what causes tumors to form. From doing more research I was able to find out that there are two forms of tumors. The first is malignant, which is said to invade, destroy and damage tissues. With malignant tumors when a cancer cell breaks away and goes to the bloodstream it can spread everywhere. So if cancer is found in the lungs or wherever else in the body its still breast cancer if that’s what was diagnosed. The next one is called benign tumors which will not spread, but it does damage tissues around it. Its not cancerous, but malignant ones are.

According to Breast Cancer Statistics, Breast cancer usually occurs in women between the ages of 35 and 65, even though fifty percent of all breast cancer is of women sixty-five and older (Breast Cancer Statistics, 2008). What actually causes cancer is still unknown, but there are a few factors that increase the chances of people getting cancer. These factors account for only 30% of all cases of breast cancer, the other 70% are unknown (Breast Cancer, 2009). Some factor...

... middle of paper ...

....) Detroit: The Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine. Ed. Retrieved from Infotrac Health & Wellness Resource Center

KRT Interactive Hot Topics. (1999, October 12). Treating Breast Cancer . Retrieved from Elibrary

Michaud, L. B. (May 15, 2008). Treatment-experienced breast cancer.(SYMPOSIUM)(Clinical report).American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 65, 10. p.S4(6). Retrieved from Academic OneFile

O'Neill, P. (Ed.). (2006, September 1). Breast Cancer: Overview of Risks. Retrieved July 21, 2009, from WebMD: Better Information. Better Health.: http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/guide/overview-risks-breast-cancer?page=

Smith, L. A. (2006, Oct 01). Real Simple. Breast Cancer: Facts and Fiction , 7, p. 169. Retrieved from elibrary.

Vogel, VG (May 2008). Preventing breast cancer in high-risk women, 2008. Oncology, 22, 6. p.666. Retrieved from Academic OneFile
Get Access