Azerbaijan: The Road to Independence and Freedom

1545 Words7 Pages
Staying out of world news usually means one of two things. That a country is a third world nation or the government is content with where it stands. The people of that country most likely feel the same. The country of Azerbaijan is recovering from decades of Soviet control, reforming the country and culture that fought oppression for many years.

The Republic of Azerbaijan is a mountainous region. Sixty percent (Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan.az) of the country is complex terrain. Azerbaijan borders the Caspian Sea in the east. Iran borders to the south. Armenia and Georgia border to the west. Russia borders to the north (State). The region also has a lot flat plains. Azerbaijan has many beaches on the coast.

Azerbaijan is a small eastern European country. It measures about the size of Maine. The cities are modest. They’ve grown into modern producers of commerce and international business. The capitol of Azerbaijan is Baku. It is located on the far eastern part of the country. Azerbaijan has a population of nine million people. In 2010, 54.1 percent of the population lived in urban locations. The other 45.9 percent live in rural areas (Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan.az). This diversifies the country on a cultural scale.

Azerbaijan maintains peaceful relations with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). This defines their key infrastructure. They maintain ninety troops in Afghanistan. The country deploys soldiers to Iraq for peacekeeping missions. Its leaders ensure that the country is a player in the war on terrorism and international peace (State). The political system is a Republic and consists of the New Azerbaijan Party, Musavat Party, Popular Front Party, Liberal Party, and the Democratic Party....

... middle of paper ...

...an fell under their rule until 1991. Then the country declared its independence (Twining). Since then, Azerbaijan has been under its own control.

Society in Azerbaijan continued to grow from the early 1800’s to the present. The oil industry made the country rich. Because of this, the culture grew. Theaters and museums were built throughout the early 1800’s. Azerbaijan built state of the art schools and hospitals for its citizens. This afforded the people good health care and education.

The country of Azerbaijan is recovering from decades of Soviet control, reforming the country and culture that fought oppression for many years. Since the fall of the Russian Empire and Azerbaijan’s declaration of independence in 1991, the country has been stabilizing its cultural significance. Azerbaijan continues to strengthen its status in the world theater.

More about Azerbaijan: The Road to Independence and Freedom

Open Document