I 'd like to say that my style as a writer has come a long way. However I would not argue I still may have much farther to go as well. My Sophomore year of high school was the golden year for five paragraph essays, what I mean is I was constantly writing essays in a five paragraph format, and looking back on I see that as a blessing as well as a curse. It was a gift because to write a five paragraph essay became extremely easy for me. Yet, it was a cure because to write in any other form became much more difficult. So, it comes as no surprise that my two rhetorical analysis papers were originally written in five paragraph essay form. Also, I was never a fan of revising, so when it came to making changes I either did the bare minimum or made no changes at all. However, this time around I made very drastic changes to both Paper one and Paper two. Within this reflection I would like to discuss how this literary condition limited my writing for both my first and second papers. I would also like to discuss the changes I made to both papers to break free from the chains of 5 paragraphs.
First of all, for Paper one I had a lot of ideas I wanted to discuss. However I struggled with how to organize these ideas, and so I resorted back to my security blanket of five paragraphs. For instance, when I first wrote Paper one I had four different rhetorical topics I wanted to discuss, kairos, present tense language, intrinsic proofs, and extrinsic proofs, but I limited myself to only three body paragraphs, forcing me to combine intrinsic and extrinsic proofs into one paragraph. This also limited the amount of detail I could provide for each idea. During the revising process I attempted to keep the st...
... middle of paper ...
...in Paper one, I changed the arrangement of my paragraphs as well to have my newly organized ideas flow more seamlessly. Overall I feel the changes I made strengthened my Paper as a whole.
In conclusion, I am glad that I took the time to revise my papers. I was stuck in a five paragraph essay mindset and I feel it really hurt the overall outcome of my Papers. I also don 't think I would have realized this issue if I hadn 't gone back into each paper and attempted to make changes. I believe the restructuring of my papers, and the additional information and analysis I was able to put in because of the new and improved structure, made my papers stronger and more organized. So, as I stated early, the five paragraph essay form is a blessing and curse; a curse because I can easily get stuck in one way of writing, but a blessing because it gives me a good place to start.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Twins: a blessing or a curse. The likelihood of getting pregnant with twins is slim to none. The female must carry the twin gene in order to conceive twins, even if the male has a long line of twins. Twins can be thought as good things, if you were hoping to only have two children you get them both at once. They can also be a curse, especially in the financial aspect of it all. Its even worse if you are a teen mom and trying to finish high school. The simple truth is either way you look at it your life will never be the same after you have twins.... [tags: Pregnant, Babies, Identical, Fraternal, Babies]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- The African Experience: A Curse or Blessing The native African places an immense amount of importance and respect on Nature. Its effects determine certain predicaments that control and direct African lives, and how outsiders, especially Westerners, perceive them. Never before has a group of people followed so religiously and faithfully a baffling phenomenon such as nature. Nature worship has deep roots in the African tradition and is now a full and indispensable branch of the African heritage.... [tags: Research Papers]
1033 words (3 pages)
- The Curse and Blessing of Montana Montana seems to be one of those states that most people either love or hate. It is so distinct from any other state that it is no wonder this is the case. Montana is in so many ways such a great state to live in, with a wide variety of recreation, hobbies, and other enjoyable pastimes; however, many problems plague the state, from its lack of modern conveniences to its poor job opportunities. What many people do not realize is how much these good and bad characteristics are related.... [tags: Free Descriptive Essay About A Place]
601 words (1.7 pages)
- Five Paragraph Essays: A Blessing or a Curse I 'd like to say that my style as a writer has come a long way. However I would not argue I still may have much farther to go as well. My Sophomore year of high school was the golden year for five paragraph essays, what I mean is I was constantly writing essays in a five paragraph format, and looking back on I see that as a blessing as well as a curse. It was a gift because to write a five paragraph essay became extremely easy for me. Yet, it was a cure because to write in any other form became much more difficult.... [tags: Rhetoric, Writing, Five paragraph essay, Essay]
832 words (2.4 pages)
- We Are Family Big families are inherently closer than smaller families.There is a lot of evidence to support this claim some of it coming from television, but most coming from everyday life. Big families have a tendency to go through more colorful experiences than smaller families. We may drive each other crazy but that’s part of what brings us together. The best example I can offer of this would be my family. There are seven kids in my family, two of whom no longer live at my house, and it is rare for a week to pass with out us speaking or hanging out.... [tags: Family, Sibling, Mother, Grandparent]
817 words (2.3 pages)
- Hybrid cars is a curse or a blessing I have always been interested in cars. Since my childhood I had the wish to know the mechanism of how cars work; so that I can build my own cars and eventually create and design my own brand. Due to the new revolution in car industry my interest in cars has gone even higher than before because these new revolution cars are environment friendly. This new revolution has been brought to the car industry by the introduction of hybrid cars because of the high fuel consumption and the increasing pollution; this is the best alternative despite the low performance and high maintenance cost, hybrid cars will overtake the conventional cars soon.... [tags: paralel, series, electric motors]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- Technology can be two fold; it can be a blessing and a curse. It has forever impacted and changed social interaction. We live in a day where it is hard to get away from the screen, either the phone or computer and any other electronic devices, not only for work but also for leisure. We are forgetting how to reconnect, recharge, and relax. Thus, it has been requested we should, for one day, unplug ourselves from technology. Will this be beneficial. The idea of a technology Sabbath is beneficial in three ways: in recharging and relaxing, in deepening friendship, and attending and listening to people’s messages better.... [tags: Communication, Distraction, Instant messaging]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- Cyberspace: Home, Sweet Home. There is no denying the ambivalence that surrounds modern technology. In a world where apathy is uncommon, people could debate for days about whether technology is a blessing or a curse. But their deliberations are futile. Even if they came to a consensus, would it matter. Humans will never stop using technology, even if it is discovered that it is detracting greatly from their lives; they are willing to accept both the negative and positive consequences that come along with using it.... [tags: technology, screens, time]
523 words (1.5 pages)
- Sickle Cell Anemia: A Curse and a Blessing Sickle Cell Anemia is a disease found right here in America, but in low levels compared to some areas of the world. The rate for this disease is around five times greater in certain places in Africa. That is because the potentially fatal disease Sickle Cell Anemia can also work as a sort of vaccination for another disease called malaria. First the mechanics of Sickle Cell Anemia will be discussed, then its possible benefits. Sickle Cell Anemia is an inherited condition.... [tags: Disease Health Sickness Essays Papers]
585 words (1.7 pages)
- The Internet - A Blessing or a Curse. I saw something shocking painted on the roof of a barn as I was driving through the heart of Yolo County’s farmland. It was an advertisement for the upcoming Dixon May Fair. What caught my attention was the last line of copy, painted in thin red letters, down by the edge of the roof: http://www.dixonmayfair.com. It’s finally everywhere, I thought, as I continued down the deserted, dusty road. No place is safe. Not even the country. Over the last couple of years, those tiny, mysterious clusters of letters have snuck up on us, like a sneaky race of aliens preparing a world takeover.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1701 words (4.9 pages)