Throughout the course of history, individuals have enjoyed playing sports. Whether it would be throwing a football, sprinting around the track, or kicking a soccer ball; sports have been a popular activity worldwide. The determination and expertise needed to play sports at the highest level has made it a challenging yet enjoyable activity. However in the recent years, sports have slowly drifted off from it’s traditional roots of physical prowess and into competitions of mental proficiencies. With the exponential growth of technology worldwide, it is not uncommon for the average household to have a computer, PS4, Xbox One, or even a Nintendo 3DS. In fact, the introduction of new technological entertainment has served as a gateway for the new generation of athlete culture; video games. As a result of the growth of video games, Esports (short for ‘Electronic Sports’) is slowly being integrated into athlete culture worldwide through its spectacular foundations, overwhelming popularity, vast prize pools, and recognition by official authorities.
The birth of Esports can contribute most of its discovery to its original roots from the 19th century era (Bellis). To understand the next generation of athlete culture, Esports, it is necessary for individuals to understand the beginnings of the newly bred activity. During the 19th century era video games were often overlooked due to its funky nature, however, the introduction of new technology that allowed individuals to manipulate and control objects was appealing to some (Bellis). One of the very first video games to have been developed was a simple graphical computer application used to resemble virtual Tic-Tac-Toe (Bellis). Although the game was simple in nature and basic in control, ...
... middle of paper ...
... whole, official organizations have recognized the potential of making Esports a legitimate sport.
Bellis, Mary. “Computer and Video Game History”. about.com. n.d.Web. 18 Feb 2014. google.com
Dave, Paresh. “Online game League of Legends star gets U.S. visa as pro athlete”. latimes.com. 7 August 2013. Web. 18 Feb 2014. google.com
Fever, Alan. “Grooming The Champions of The Keyboard”. New York Times. 28 Sept 2013. Web. 18 Feb 2014. google.com
Marquet-Rousse, Jeniffer. “Online gaming: An integral part of South Korean Culture”. inaglobal.fr. 6 June 2013. Web. 2 March 2014. google.com
Taylor, T. L. Raising the Stakes: E-sports and the Professionalization of Computer Gaming. Cambridge, MA: MIT, 2012. Kindle AZW file.
Young, Timothy (2012, Mar 27). “Esports, the Future of Competition” [Video file]. Retrieved from
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Technology has been around for several years and is still advancing today. First introduced during the 1800's Industrial Revolution, where people began working in factories and cities. Now people in the 21st century are experiencing a new revolution where technology has practically taken over. However, one place where technology is missing, is in schools. The problem is that educators do not have enough resources to integrate technology in every classroom. Then, there are policymakers, placing education at the bottom of their priorities.... [tags: technology, education, policymakers, failure]
1549 words (4.4 pages)
- Have you ever wondered if our generation is the dumbest. Well, there’s some evidence to prove so. Generation ‘Y’ is considered to be the dumbest generation of all. This is based on numerous experiments, polls, surveys, etc. While everything else in this world is rising, intellect of each generation is falling. With the ignorance of facts, by choice, and lack of some education, Generation ‘Y’ is considered to be the dumbest generation. “Ignorance of facts” simply means that the education is there but this generation just chooses not to use it.... [tags: Millennial Generation]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- Green Energy: The Next Generation Purcell Schools should transform all their schools to use “green” energy and environmentally-friendly products. It would not only be better for the school and community, but would also be profitable for the school system. Although it does cost a little more a year on a bill, it will actually, in the grand scheme of things, cost less in the near future. That would mean, as a school system and community, it would enable a better technology program for the school, more field trips, new textbooks, and even a much better salary for our very underpaid teachers and administrators.... [tags: Energy ]
1301 words (3.7 pages)
- ... Second, in the lower end of the battery life (or energy consumption ) is the main engine , the designer may want to put more weight measurement single power MIPS / W . In other words, they may just be interested to minimize the workload for a given power to run , but not with the performance of the execution time , but it does not exceed certain limits. MIPS performance measurement and power watts refer to the average or maximum value, derived from the specifications of the chip. For example, January 1 gigahertz ( 109 times / sec ) treatment, which can be completed up to 4 cycles per instruction , the maximum theoretical yield is 4000 MIPS.... [tags: power, performance, processors]
1302 words (3.7 pages)
- Internet Protocol - The Next Generation Internet Protocol, or IP is the addressing system used on the Internet. Due to the rapid expansion of the Internet, the current version, Ipv4, is in need of updating. Internet Protocol version 4 addresses "are 32-bit numbers often expressed as 4 octets in "dotted decimal" notation (for example, 192.168.45.230)." [IANA website]. This system supplies 4,294,967,296 (or 232) addresses. While this number may seem to be plenty, some say the internet is doubling in size every 9 months.... [tags: Expository Essays Research Papers]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- Still Enduring: Equity Feminism for the Next Generation Webster defines feminism as both "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes" and "organized activity on the behalf of women's rights and interests" (Webster 418). Equality of the sexes (in terms of rights) and the furthering of women's rights are seemingly positive aspirations; yet people tend to describe feminism using negative terms, and feminism today has acquired a bad reputation. "Radical" and "extremists" are adjectives commonly applied to feminism as a whole, when, in truth, feminists who adopt extreme positions constitute the minority.... [tags: Feminism Feminist]
1919 words (5.5 pages)
- The Next Generation's Form of Discrimination Education plays a key role in the development of one’s character and future achievements. The importance of education has elevated in numerous ways over time. The higher an education a person receives is expected to give an individual a better occupation and therefore result in more earned money by that individual. Human desires have led to the great want to achieve the best education in order to ensure that more then just the basic needs and wants are met by that individual, whether it is for themselves or for those that are dependent upon them.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Internet Papers]
1490 words (4.3 pages)
- Star Trek - The Next Generation Star date: 41176.8 Captain's log. This is my (Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise #NCC-17O1 D) account of the events leading up to and beyond the Federation and Romulan war (2380-2385 AD). Star date: 32851.2: The Enterprise received a distressed call from a fleeing scout ship. SOS... I am ... under ... attack!. request ... asylum ... Federation ... Space!!.. The ship was pushing the limits of its engines as it hurtled out of the neutral zone -- the volume of space that serves as a no-ones-land separating the United Federation of Planets and the Romulan Empire.... [tags: essays research papers]
2280 words (6.5 pages)
- Impact of The Fire Next Time James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time is a powerful book. It fanned the flames of the civil rights movement and stands as a staple of African-American literature. It is a testament to black culture and the problems that climaxed during the middle of the 20th century. One walks away from the book feeling three things. The first is a heightened sense of awareness about growing up in Harlem. The second is a new perspective from which to interpret the struggle for civil rights in the 1950s and 1960s.... [tags: The Fire Next Time]
554 words (1.6 pages)
- The Next Generation Internet As the internet continues to integrate itself into the daily routine of millions of people worldwide, the narrow possibilities of current download and viewing speed continue to constrain the amount of information that is accessible and how fast it can be retrieved. The government, in conjunction with numerous computer and telecommunications companies, has set forth the Next Generation Internet (NGI) initiative. Experts predict that in the next few years, internet users will have more bandwidth than they could ever use.... [tags: Papers]
773 words (2.2 pages)