A Father, A CPA, An Inspiration
Growing up on a farm is not uncommon if you live in Western Kansas. As many know, however, it 's not
always as financially rewarding as one might hope. Experiencing this first hand, Ernie Smith, my father, had
lived on a farm near Marienthal, Kansas, growing up. He had the opportunity to learn a plethora of valuable
lessons from hard work and his parents. Farming can be a tough career investment. Ernie discovered that, when
you 're a farmer, you have to stretch the dollar sometimes. Occasionally, they don 't make as much income
because of severe weather conditions such as drought or hail. During these bad years, his family had to make
appropriate decisions concerning spending. Ernie 's parents were aware of this and always spent their money
responsibly and in moderation.
After he had graduated high school, Ernie knew he had some major financial and education decisions to
make concerning college. Luckily, he had the knowledge to know that he needed to save for college. During his
teenage years, he had worked long hard hours on the farm and put away the money he had earned. Also, once he
was enrolled at Fort Hays State University, he immediately found a part time job to receive some income. With
the ultimate goal of graduating debt free, Ernie knew that he couldn 't go completely crazy in college. Unlike
many students, he spent his money only when it was necessary, and he shared living expenses with a roommate.
Furthermore, he studied relentlessly to achieve high marks on all of his work. Due to these proactive choices,
my father received a Bachelor 's in business and administration and a Major in accounting. At the end of his
college years, he was completely debt free. This allowed him t...
... middle of paper ...
... receive, the college fund I
have saved, and maybe some help from my parents, I hope to graduate free of debt so that I have the ability to
begin a career, buy a house, and raise a family soon after college without falling deep into the unforgivable
shadow of debt.
With the knowledge and wisdom that my father has taught me, I believe that I am well prepared for
college and all of the obstacles it has to throw at me. Becoming educated about different types of colleges
helped me decide on attending Fort Hays State University. I have applied for many scholarships and hope to
pay my own way through college without the help of student loans, for I want to graduate debt free. I won 't
overspend in college and will create a budget to help me get by. Through the Dave Ramsey and Everfi
programs, I have learned a plethora of information that I will apply to my life as a I grow.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Adam Smith is notably known to be the father of modern economics, and many of his work have been implemented today. His major work was “An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations” where his economic views are seen. He was exceptionally known as a classical economist not only for his principles but for how he presented them. His anthropological principles for the distribution of labor and resources made him known as the “first economic historian” (Sociological Theory in the Classical Era, p.... [tags: Economics, Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations]
983 words (2.8 pages)
- Adam Smith is known as one of the fathers of economics. He is most known for his profound ideas and theories on capitalism presented in his book the Wealth of Nations. Around ten years prior to him finishing the Wealth of Nations he released the Theory of Moral Sentiments, less referred to in relation to political economics, but equally as important. Both books should be read together to have a deeper understanding of Smith’s economic theories and his understanding of humans as social beings. Although the books have a somewhat lengthy time separation and are sometimes referred to as younger Smith and later, more mature Smith; it is necessary to read both books.... [tags: Adam Smith, Economics, Capitalism]
831 words (2.4 pages)
- Bessie Smith was born April 15, 1894 in Chattanooga, Tennessee. She later in life became known as the “Empress of the Blues”. At the age of eighteen she being traveling with a group by the name of Moss Stokes Company. While with the group she met Ma Rainey who also became a friend and mentor to her. After traveling with the group, in 1923 she was discovered by Columbia Records. After signing with Columbia, she released her first song Downhearted Blues. The song Downhearted Blues went on to sale over 800,000 copies and became one her most popular songs.... [tags: Blues, Jazz, Bessie Smith]
939 words (2.7 pages)
- Charles Duell, the director of the U.S Patent Office at the beginning of the 20th century prophesied, "Every thing that can be invented has been invented." Looking back, one may remark about the ignorance of this statement, and laugh in the irony of how much has actually changed. However, while the laughter is going on a question in raised; "is it possible that today’s businesses are believing what Duells said, ‘that there is nothing more to come?’" Today, companies have access to some of the most groundbreaking technology, but are they taking advantage of it.... [tags: Accountant CPA Careers Jobs]
1650 words (4.7 pages)
- Adam Smith, an economist, a journalist, an educator, and a philosopher. A man who singling shaped many political economy that we see today. Also a well know author of the books, The Wealth of Nation, which is none as “Bible of Capitalism”. In this paper I will inform you, the reader much more than just the few books he wrote. Today you will be informed on Adam Smith personal life, how he changed economic policies, and how his policies still impact today everyday economy. Adams Smith, an economist that wrote the “Bible of capitalism” all started in the city of Kirkcaldy in Scotland.... [tags: Adam Smith, Economics, Capitalism, David Hume]
882 words (2.5 pages)
- Kevin Smith and His Work Kevin Patrick Smith (born August 2, 1970) is a screenwriter, film director, and the creator of View Askew Productions. He is also known as a comic book writer and actor, although he has criticized his own acting ability on more than one occasion.... [tags: Producer Director Kevin Smith Mallrats]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- Ernie Pyle ;When a machine-gun bullet ended the life of Ernie Pyle in the final days of World War II, Americans spoke of him in the same breath as they had Franklin Roosevelt. To millions, the loss of him was as great as the loss of the wartime president. Since WWII correspondent Ernie Pyle was so famous, his death on the battlefront came as a shock to people around the world. Ernest Taylor Pyle was born August 3, 1900 to Will and Marie Pyle. He was born an only child on the Same Elder farm just southwest of Dana, Indiana.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- Zadie Smith's White Teeth Zadie Smith’s novel, White Teeth, is chock full of potential deconstruction ideas; however, an exciting scene to deconstruct is in “The Final Space” chapter when the Iqbals and the Jones are on the public bus heading towards the FutureMouse exhibit. The most obvious binary opposite is that of parent or adult and child. Adults are without doubt the privileged binary. They signify knowledge, wisdom, teaching, and training of young ones along with patience and selflessness, and are allowed to use bad words without penalty.... [tags: Zadie Smith White Teeth Essays]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Biography of Adam Smith Smith was one of those 18th century Scottish moral philosophers whose impulses led to our modern day theories; his work marks the breakthrough of an evolutionary approach which has progressively displaced the stationary Aristotelian view Invisible Hand:- § "Every individual necessarily labors to render the annual revenue of the society as great as he can. He generally indeed neither intends to promote the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it. He intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention.... [tags: Adam Smith Moral Philosopher Philosophy Essays]
3510 words (10 pages)
- Adam Smith Adam Smith, a brilliant eighteenth-century Scottish political economist, had the advantage of judging the significance ol colonies by a rigorous examination based on the colonial experience of 300 years. His overview has a built-in bias: he strongly disapproved of excessive regulation of colonial trade by parent countries. But his analysis is rich with insight and remarkably dispassionate in its argument. Adam Smith recognized that the discovery of the New World not only brought wealth and prosperity to the Old World, but that it also marked a divide in the history of mankind.... [tags: Political Economist Adam Smith Biographies Essays]
4989 words (14.3 pages)