This paper tries to express how sexism/chauvinism ideas have infected the virtual-world of video games, and resulted in a male dominated video-gaming industry. Now, being that 49% of U.S. households own a dedicated gaming console (E.S.A. 2012), it is imperative that we address this issue. Gender disparity in the gaming business is exceedingly one-sided. Female employees constitute less than 10% of the gaming industry, and even though that shortcoming females have contributed to the video gaming franchise. A small number of females have indeed contributed to the gaming franchise as a result of the industries no-girls-allowed mentality which strongly suggest that old saying boys-only. In this paper, I will examine current research relevant to the video game industry and its representation of the female gender, provide personal accounts of sexual harassment within the video game industry and offer my opinions of what could be done to begin the steps in an extraordinarily difficult journey.
Since their beginnings, by both female and male gamers have enjoyed video games. They are so beloved by their followers that the annual Entertainment Software Association reports the gaming industry at an estimated $17 billion dollars franchise; globally that number increases to $67 billion of which 48% is female and 52% male. Females are also part of the gaming population, representing 47% while the males represent 53% (E.S.A., 2012). This means that both males and females support the gaming industry, as well as production of their products, both financially and through its use; although, the gaming industry does not share this same support of gender equality.
The 11th Annual Sal...
... middle of paper ...
...ce Review, 106(3), 533-547. doi:10.1017/S0003055412000329
National Center for Women Information Technology(2013). Retrieved Nov 3, 2013 from http://www.ncwit.org/
Nation's Report Card.(2005). 2005 High school transcript study. Retrieved Nov 3, 2013 from http://nationsreportcard.gov/hsts_2005/hs_over_1.aspx
Pinchefsky. C. (2012). #1Reason why' hashtag explains why there are few female games developers. Forbes. Retrieved Nov 3, 2013 from http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2012/11/27/twitter-hashtag-explains
Raja, T., (2012). Why It Sucks to Be a Woman in the Video Game Industry. Mother Jones. Retrieved Nov 3, 2013 from http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2012/11/women- video game-industry-twitter-1reasonwhy
U.S. Equal Opportunity Commission (2013). Laws, Regulations & Guidance. Retrieved Nov 3, 2013from: http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/harassment.cfm
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... They get time off for maternity leave, and often get paid time off for different family events or needs. Men rarely get paternity leave, even though they are needed just as much as the mothers, with a newborn. They also rarely get time off for family events/needs, let alone paid time off. A lot of times men are also expected to work long hours and sometimes have unreliable schedules. These unfair and unequal work policies lead to it being almost impossible to carry out these desires to have an egalitarian relationship in this generation.... [tags: Gender, Gender role, Family, Leave]
928 words (2.7 pages)
- Why are there few number of females in engineering and computer based jobs. There are most places around the world that is hard for women to attend school. They always leave their everyday hoping this method of life will change, but this never seems to be. Somewhere around the world females are killed trying to attend school, and most of them are little kids who tried to get an opportunity like the males did. Most countries the female have an age where they stop attending school, and all they did later was to get married at early ages to become a child bride.... [tags: Gender, Female, Male, Sex]
1016 words (2.9 pages)
- As the gaming industry continues to progress, and become a bigger part of society, more people begin to become interested in games. However, game developers must decide how the games are constructed and who their target consumer is. Most games in circulation today are based on the interests of the male demographic. This raises the question, “What causes different preferences in games among gender?” There will always be distinctive characteristics that stand out between males and females, but pertaining to the gaming, there are major attributes that affect preference such as, exposure, goals, and values.... [tags: video Games, Genders]
948 words (2.7 pages)
- The world of gaming is expanding with endless possibilities of ways to play. Gaming has advanced greatly over the years by expanding over many different platforms. Smartphones, tablets, and next generation consoles are just a few of the many possibilities to play. This expansion has broadened the demographic of players and changed the way we play today. Although the demographic has widened and the games have become more advanced, there seems to be a reoccurring theme in gaming. White males make up the majority of video game protagonists, while minorities and women are stereotyped and degraded.... [tags: technology, video games]
2447 words (7 pages)
- In today’s society, Women perform similar jobs to men. Whether it’s blue or white collar jobs, women are always present and thriving for success balancing a life of business and family. In the job market, some are graduates of the best schools and have interned at the best firms, but are still not compensated as equally as men. Following the recent comments of the CEO of Microsoft concerning women asking for raises and how they should trust the system to install equality, the issue seem to be still present, and women’s work is not rewarded similarly to men’s.... [tags: Gender, Sexism, Transgender, Men]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- The term “gamer” tends to be synonymous with “geek” in many people’s minds. They see gaming as a device that absorbs the majority of the time of the user, leaving them as mindless empty, pale husks with no ambitions other than beating that next boss or shooting the enemy in the face. However, few gamers waste their life away. On the contrary, many of these so-called geeks tend to be more social than the average person, and farther down the technological curve than most. For the truth is that gaming is a rather useful and beneficial hobby.... [tags: Gaming ]
1053 words (3 pages)
- Despite the fact that the Equal Pay Act has been law since 1963, many problems inevitably arise in the administration of equal pay laws (Fisher). It has been estimated that at this current slow rate of progression in closing the gender pay gap it will be 2068 by the time men and women’s wages are equalized. It is clear that the business case, as well as the legislative case, has a significant role to play (Commission Policy Report). There are some factors which stop or slow equal pay for genders.... [tags: Equal Pay Act, Gender Pay Act]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Electronics, social networking, and video games are all outlets as ways for today’s society to drive off boredom or express themselves un-anonymously or anonymously. The use of electronics and social networks have become deeply embedded into today’s culture. Going without Facebook, Twitter, or an iPhone/phone is unusual by current standards in developed countries. With the fact that electronics and social networking have become the norm, using electronics and social networks as catalysts, video games and gaming have become a norm in today’s generation.... [tags: Electronics, Social Networking, Video Games]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- To the untrained eye, franchise and business opportunity investments look pretty much the same. Both invite you to purchase a package of goods and services and business concepts. Both offer you the chance to capitalize on a business idea that has already proved to be successful. Both provide some training, handholding and access to a valuable marketplace. In reality, though, there are huge differences between the two concepts. While these fundamental distinctions sometimes appear subtle, detecting and understanding them can help you protect yourself when you take the plunge into your new business.... [tags: Franchise Business]
1881 words (5.4 pages)
- The four available business ventures for this paper are. 1. Specialty high-end flooring contractor: will install all floor types (imported tile, granite, marble, hard wood, and carpeting) as part of new construction or remodeling. 2. Pilates Studio Franchise: individuals can take classes or work out on their own. 3. Sports Bar Franchise: individuals can watch multiple sporting events on large screen TV’s. 4. Global Computer Consultant: assist corporations and individuals in setting up computer networks.... [tags: Business Franchise]
870 words (2.5 pages)