Fame was the measure of warrior’s identity in the time of Beowulf. The acts of one’s father, and grandfather, and then your own assured your place in history. His lineage that of Earls and Kings, Beowulf of the Geats is driven to take his place in that line. Not any demon nor force of evil were able to stand in the way of a warrior and his pursuit of fame. Sought through feats of bravery and strength with no concern for personal danger, obtain...
... middle of paper ...
...th, Beowulf’s courage and generosity as well as his great hubris. It seems to me that the narcissistic tendencies of pride and vanity, and the heroic actions of valor and gallantry may be inseparable in the character of Beowulf. The story of a warrior king who honors the fame of his lineage, who protects and provides riches for his people, and who is their leader for 50 years, Beowulf is also the coming of age story of a young warrior who would be king. Impetuous and reckless in adolescent pursuit of glory; a young warrior prince, an ascending hero, on a quest for fame; long ruling wise and fearless warrior King. The Germanic heroic code promoted a fame/shame culture. Shame came to those who did not do a noble warriors deeds, but fame was the intention of any warrior representing his lineage. Pride and vanity inseparable from courage and honor in the sage of Beowulf.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Beowulf In the Anglo-Saxon epic poem of Beowulf, Beowulf is highly regarded as an epic hero; the poem itself is consisted of songs of glorification about him. During his era, Beowulf was very famous amongst his own people and others due to the fact that he has achieved great things. He has travelled and gone through many adventures which has greatly boosted his fame across the land. His character and personality, along with his great strength, has made him into an epic hero. Beowulf was a character that was given or blessed by the gods to the people during his time to be a saviour against evil and to become a just ruler.... [tags: Beowulf, Epic poetry, Hero, Grendel]
1323 words (3.8 pages)
- Beowulf an Epic Hero An epic hero according to Anglo-Saxon literature is a hero who is larger-than-life; someone with self-confidence, great strength, and the qualities of loyalty, bravery, and honor. Beowulf can be considered an epic hero for multiple reasons throughout “Beowulf.” Beowulf is a character constructed on all of the Anglo-Saxon epic hero qualifications. For starters, Beowulf is seen as a noble character, that is willing to provide security for the people by risking his own life. As a character, Beowulf conducts superhuman strength, and can complete impossible tasks.... [tags: Hero, Beowulf, Grendel's mother, Epic poetry]
1060 words (3 pages)
- An epic hero according to Anglo-Saxon literature is a hero who is larger-than-life; someone with self-confidence, great strength, and the qualities of loyalty, bravery, and honor. Beowulf can be considered an epic hero for multiple reasons throughout “Beowulf.” Beowulf is a character constructed on all of the Anglo-Saxon epic hero qualifications. For starters, Beowulf is seen as a noble character, that is willing to provide security for the people by risking his own life. As a character, Beowulf conducts superhuman strength, and can complete impossible tasks.... [tags: Beowulf, Hero, Grendel's mother, Epic poetry]
1052 words (3 pages)
- Danyelle Crocker Honors English IV Mrs. Joyner 12/16/2015 An Encouraging Epic Hero Beowulf was an epic hero during his time. An epic hero is a brave and noble character in an epic poem, admired for great achievements or affected by grand events. “The Anglo Saxon hero was well defined by the actions of Beowulf” (Garcia). Beowulf became an epic hero when he fought Grendel and Grendel’s mother, and became a king, and fought the dragon. Beowulf succeeded with his battles and became an epic hero.... [tags: Beowulf, Grendel, Beowulf, Epic poetry]
1664 words (4.8 pages)
- Beowulf displayed great courage and honor throughout his journeys and battles; he was an epic hero. An epic hero is a person who is viewed as larger than life and possesses values of a certain society. From the time of Beowulf’s battle with Grendel to his brawl against the dragon, he has showed everyone what being an honorable hero looks like. His heroism is revealed through both youth as a young warrior and wisdom as a reliable king. He never backed down and didn’t give up when situations were tough.... [tags: Hero, Courage, Beowulf, Weapon]
975 words (2.8 pages)
- An epic hero is a brave and noble character in an epic poem, admired for great achievements or affected by grand events. In the epic poem of Beowulf, the main character exhibited many characteristics that would label him as an epic hero. Beowulf overwhelming strength, bravery, and skills gave him a huge advantage over his opponents. His power was unmatched by any of his opponents but his cockiness and tendency to head into battle alone ultimately led to his demised. Beowulf is a well known figure and his legacy continued to impact the world even after his death.... [tags: Beowulf, Epic poetry, Hroðgar, Hero]
1245 words (3.6 pages)
- What is a hero to you. Your definition of a hero is likely to be different from a lot of other people’s. For some it could be a parent, a community hero, such as a fire fighter or police officer, or even just a regular person that you find to be heroic. For the time of Beowulf, A hero was somebody that held amazing attributes that made them superior. Such as, having super strength. Beowulf is a man of legend that lives in the form of a myth that has been told for thousands of years. His story tells of how he conquers an evil that had become peril to many lives in a land that he was not his own.... [tags: Hero, Beowulf, Superhuman, Superhuman strength]
1471 words (4.2 pages)
- The Epic Hero Beowulf is characterized as an epic hero by possessing qualities in which common mortals lack, battling for the common good, and displaying honor in every act. An epic hero is the central character in an epic, a long narrative poem that recounts the adventures of a legendary hero in pursuit of a goal. According to Jankowski, “Understanding the significance of Beowulf 's acts requires an understanding of the key figures in the epic poem” (1). Epics have been used to preserve values and traditions.... [tags: Beowulf, Hero, Epic poetry, Hroðgar]
1048 words (3 pages)
- What are the qualities of an epic hero. An Epic hero is a hero on a quest, with superhuman powers displaying courage, generosity, and loyalty. Translated by Burton Raffel, the epic story Beowulf is one of the best and well known epics of its time. In the novel Beowulf the epic hero Beowulf shows characteristics of courage, physical strength, loyalty, self-confidence, and wisdom, much like heroes today. In the epic Beowulf, the title character, shows his physical strength and courage in several ways.... [tags: Epic of Beowulf Essays]
588 words (1.7 pages)
- Every epic hero possesses certain heroic characteristics. The epic poem Beowulf describes the most heroic man of the Anglo-Saxon times. Beowulf is the hero. He shows that he is a great man by always putting other things before his own needs. He is important and needed by his people and is known by many as a strong, courageous and a helpful person. He shows all of the qualities and traits that a true hero possesses. Beowulf, like other epic heroes, possesses the following heroic qualities: epic heroes are superhuman types of beings.... [tags: Epic of Beowulf Essays]
459 words (1.3 pages)