Greater Manchester is a landlocked county in the North West region of England. The Pennine mountain range runs along its northern and eastern borders, whilst the West Pennine Moors are found on its western border. To the south lies Cheshire, a flat county with large plains left by glaciers in previous Ice Ages. Greater Manchester therefore has a graded profile, with steep mountains and hills to the north-east gradually settling out to low-lying, fertile plains in the south-west.
The county’s geology consists mainly of rock from 3 geological periods; the Carboniferous, Permian and Triassic, alongside glacial deposits left over from Ice Ages in the Quaternary period. The oldest rocks seem to be found in the north-east of the county, and the youngest in the south-east. The Permian and Triassic rocks laid down are indicative of hot, desert conditions with the formation of mudstones and sandstones; Red Permian sandstones are overlaid by red, brown and yellow Triassic sandstones and mudstones from the Sherwood Sandstone Group. These rocks are found mainly in southern Greater Manchester. (Natural England).
Glacial till is also common in the low-lying areas to the south and west of Greater Manchester. Following frequent changes in climate in the Quaternary period, glaciers have advanced and retreated leaving a layer of glacial deposits in their wake (Natural England). These deposits were transported downstream via meltwater rivers to lowland areas, making them fertile and very useful for pastoral farming. As such, lowland areas have become popula...
... middle of paper ...
...ved January 16, 2011, from Crimestop Guards: http://www.crimestopguards.co.uk/manchester.htm
Geology Roam. (n.d.). Retrieved January 16, 2011, from Edina Digimap: http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/geologymapper/geologymapper;jsessionid=2E1FABFC46F36A0FF08FE920D9377244?execution=e1s1
Greater Manchester. (n.d.). Retrieved January 16, 2011, from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manchester#Climate
Natural England. (n.d.). Retrieved January 16, 2011, from Natural England: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/conservation/geodiversity/englands/counties/area_ID15.aspx
Seager, R. (2006). The Source of Europe's Mild Climate. American Scientist, 334 - 341.
UK Mine & Quarry Listout - North West England. (n.d.). Retrieved January 16, 2011, from UK Mine & Quarry Listout - North West England: http://www.aditnow.co.uk/mines-quarries-uk-regions/north-west-england/
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot.” This essay is about one who cannot. Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold exposes a profound and fundamental detachment between contemporary people and the land. This detachment based on mechanization, individualization, consumerism, materialism, and capitalism is leading mankind down an un-returnable path that seeks to destroy the land that we love. Nevertheless, Aldo Leopold writes about the delicate intricacies that intertwine to form an infinite system linked together by relationships that still escape understanding.... [tags: story analysis]
637 words (1.8 pages)
- 1 INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background information Poverty is a universal phenomenon, that is found virtually everywhere and affect a large number of people in the globe. To this effect Thirlwall (2003:87) contributing to the poverty literature, says that ‘in poverty, there is feeling of powerlessness, vulnerability and fear because the poor is not free, he is exposed to greater risks and living on the margin of subsistence.’ That is to say, the poor have little or no significant say in the society; they are looked upon with contempt.... [tags: fighting poverty, development analysis]
1513 words (4.3 pages)
- ... Poor implementation of a new health information system is also a contributing factor to the status of Hospital Z. The old system was dismantled without thoroughly educating the employees to the new system, which they utilize on a daily basis. Consequently, claims or accounts are not positively resolved, and accounts payable are not generating cash flow. The company that sold the system to the hospital and supports its maintenance is also responsible for the daily support. However, because of the financial situation, Hospital Z has been unable to afford the daily maintenance fee for corrections or enhancements to the new health information system.... [tags: problems, conflicts, operational plan]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Analysis on a toxin in the environment, PCB As one of POPs, PCB pollution has a unimaginable impact on the environment. PCB mainly comes from the extensive use of PCB factories worldwide, such as the motor factory uses PCB as insulating oil, and chemical plant extensive uses PCB as heat carrier and lubricating oil. The corrosion resistance of coating in ship contains PCB, so if it is dissolved by seawater, it is also a considerable pollution source. PCB from such sources enters the drainage system with the forms of waste oil, slurry, and paint peeling, deposits on the bottom, then slowly flows to the water, and pollutes ecology system.... [tags: PCB Pollution, Environment, Harmful]
867 words (2.5 pages)
- History & Geography Portage des Sioux, Missouri, a small river town situated near the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, was settled in 1799 (Mincke, 2004, p. 13). The first permanent home dates to 1805, one year after Lewis & Clark set off on their expedition up the Missouri river (Mincke, 2004, p. 24). In 1975, Charles City-County Library District, the North County Branch opened its first branch — sited on the southern edge of town in a former one-room schoolhouse (St. Charles City-County Library District, 2010).... [tags: Community Analysis]
2286 words (6.5 pages)
- Welfare Definition: Health, happiness, and good fortune; well being - this is what the Constitution means by "the general welfare," and this is the sense in which governments have established "welfare" programs. The ferocious political backlash against these programs has made "welfare" synonymous with them. A word originally used to advertise them has itself become negatively charged; consider the changed meaning of "welfare state" and the coinage of "corporate welfare." The Public Welfare Foundation is a non-governmental grant-making organization dedicated to supporting organizations that provide services to disadvantaged populations and work for lasting improvements in the delivery of ser... [tags: welfare, health plans, cobra benefits]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Analysing discourse is often used by social scientist as an interpretive study of real-life situations, because of its ecological validity (Byford, 2009, p. 198). An article, (which will be referred to as text) taken from the Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council website (cited in Open University, 2010, pp. 25-26), will be analysed in this essay. Firstly, by establishing some of the discourses and then summarising areas of ‘identity work’, which is ‘the performance of identity in (the details of) talk, including how the speaker positions her or himself’ (Taylor, 2009, p.... [tags: Communication, Identity Work]
1056 words (3 pages)
- Climate Reconstruction in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem When you think about visiting national parks like Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, usually it’s about where you’re staying and learning a little bit of the history of the area. What usually isn’t thought of, however, is that vast amount of physical phenomena that occur in one of the few intact ecosystems left in the world. In this research paper, I will be conducting a brief analysis of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (commonly referred to as the GYE).... [tags: environmental issues]
1514 words (4.3 pages)
- Introduction (Graphics Not Available) The world has grown increasingly complex, resulting from the greater interdependence among world economies (Thompson, 2002). Successful organization is largely determined by how well the organization adjusts all its tangible and intangible properties to keep itself on track with its surrounding (Armenakes & Bedeian, 1999). Strategy was concerned to manage firm’s activities and resources to the environment in which it operates. This essay will analyse the micro and macro external environment in the part five years (2000 to 2006) of IBM Company by using PESTEL and five forces model to analyse in the first part.... [tags: IBM Business Analysis]
1765 words (5 pages)
- Over time things change. Some things change for the better while other things change for the worse. One thing that’s bound to change though is your environment. Personally I have seen my hometown go through many changes during the eleven years that I have resided in Gwinnett County. A few of the accounts which have changed in my hometown throughout time have been the population including diversity, architecture, and the aspect of the people that grew up with me. I first moved to Gwinnett in Nineteen-Ninety Four.... [tags: hometown environment]
691 words (2 pages)