Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) converts your telephone voice/sound into digital data and transmits that data using the same method as the Internet. In a standard phone system, you have a dedicated wire from your phone to a central switch (reserved for phones only) in your office to the main telephone bank switch. This is expensive because you need a copper line and exclusive equipment just for calls. In addition, you still need a data jack for your PC. This means that every station needs two dedicated wires installed. With VOIP, you can use one wire for each desk and it can handle phone and PC data. This will also allow you to have one data switch. The cost savings are significant with your deployment and maintenance costs reduced by wide margins.
We had a lively discussion with the issues of converting to VOIP. We have major concerns with the reliability of VOIP, the shifting of voice traffic to the network, and the accuracy of ITU communications.
Doris started the meeting expressing an overall happiness with VOIP. While the implementation had issues they have learned from their mistakes and are ready to switch our call queues to VOIP. We asked her if anybody else was using VOIP for their phone queues exclusively and she answered no. The ITU support center and University Services (Main Switchboard) is not using VOIP. We do not want to be the first offices to use VOIP in our calling centers. We then learned that the Police are having a difficult time using VOIP. They have both types of phones at each desk in case one goes down....
... middle of paper ...
...mposium) to Nortel Call Center. Our current software is out of date and needs to be upgraded soon. We had great difficulties with our last symposium/voice mail upgrade that left our phones dead for a few days and only partially working for three weeks. We expressed our concerns of doing this upgrade anytime soon. We all agreed that this would have to be pushed back way down the road. They committed to involve us with a rollout date. They did not do this before and we will need to hold them to this.
Our meeting ended well as nobody was hostile just frustrated. They asked to come to our weekly meetings and we agreed. We will start each meeting with ITU Move items to minimize their time but keep the communications between us open. I am very grateful for this dedication of their time. It shows a commitment that may have been lacking in the past.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Prisons Committee NEW Do all the good you can, By all the means you can, In all the ways you can, In all the places you can, At all the times you can, To all the people you can, As long as ever you can. John Wesley This year we wanted you to hear the voices of those involved in prison ministry. The voices of those living in prisons who are members of our prison worship groups and voices of those living outside the prison who go behind the walls to worship. Voices across the Walls “Prison worship groups continue to wrestle with racial strife and gang violence in a Quaker way.” “What will this place look like and be like in 30 years.... [tags: Committee Analysis]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- Public health services Was handing over the budget from the NHS to local councils a wise move. The number of school pupils in the UK is steadily growing yet the number of school nurses has dramatically decreased. This is just one area of the public health services that is being affected by recent cuts. Other areas include sexual health services, HIV prevention, alcohol abuse support services and many other areas. However, according to local authorities, this is all in the aim of improving public health and helping the NHS.... [tags: Health care, Health, Health economics, Medicine]
2467 words (7 pages)
- Attn: Admissions Committee at Yorkville University, I am writing to you to express my interest in the Masters in Arts in Counselling Psychology Program at your university. I have several years of work experience in the social services field, and I have immersed myself in the past year attending seminars, trainings and workshops all pertaining to the health care sector focusing on counselling. I believe that pursuing the said program in your university will enhance my earlier skills and help me add to my experience.... [tags: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Sociology, Medicine]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- ... I deal with my clients at all times with fairness and professionalism. It is my practice to respond to calls timely. In fact, I employ the services of a receptionist company, Ruby Receptionist, that provides me with a list of all calls on a daily basis. In addition, I provide my clients with my personal cell phone number and encourage them to call me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When I receive calls on my cell phone during the week, I immediately return the call. On the weekends, I will only return calls for true emergencies.... [tags: Lawyer, Law, Marriage, Family law]
1226 words (3.5 pages)
- ... Nevertheless, at that time it was not possible to achieve, due to we did not have the resources to carry out the project in this new line of research, therefore I worked on a project that could be done “Prevalence of bacterial vaginosis associated with Gardneralla vaginalis” and it was gratifying for me because I enjoyed it and above all allowed me to know the responsibility of carrying out a research project, the challenges not only intellectuals but also financial management to make it possible.... [tags: Bachelor's degree, Academic degree, Research]
1333 words (3.8 pages)
- Music as Substance and Form in Grace Notes In the novel Grace Notes by Bernard MacLaverty, Catherine's growth as an artist through the story provides both substance and form to the story. Early on in Catherine's life, she was taught and influenced by the people close to her. Miss Bingham was her first formal teacher. She taught Catherine things she seemed to have known beforehand: "Miss Bingham says it's all inside her head and all she has to do is draw it out" (99). Miss Bingham also gave Catherine her first manuscript jotter, taking her on her way to becoming a composer.... [tags: Grace Notes]
795 words (2.3 pages)
- Sometimes mankind has to ask the question ‘what is it that makes up the actions and determines the type of interaction that we display when around other people?' Notes to Myself is the contemporary world's way of questioning the value of putting on facades. The novel also questions things we know as ‘ trivial' such as watching a cat sleep on our belly or staring at clouds in the sky. The author used an interesting form for writing his collection, omitting page numbers and leaving no indication as to what subject the reader should expect to be encountering upon reading sections.... [tags: Notes to Myself Essays]
399 words (1.1 pages)
- Google Inc.: A Strategic Move History Sergey Brin and Larry Page met in spring 1995 at a gathering in Stanford University. Between January 1996 and December 1997, they created "BackRub", the precursor of Google search engine. The objective was to better organize and huge amount of data on the Internet. Eventually the name was changed to "Google" to signify the immense amount of information that resided on the Internet. Google is transformed from the word googol, referring to 1 followed by 100 zeros.... [tags: Business Analysis Management Strategy]
1449 words (4.1 pages)
- Ethical Principles Notes There are many ethical principles. e.g. a woman has a right to control what happens to her body we should respect life we should do no harm to others we should help others there should be justice in the distribution of resources Some principles are more general than others. So some principles are special cases of more general ones. For instance, the right to control what happens to one's body is a special case of the principle of autonomy, the right to control one's own life.... [tags: Ethics Philosophy PHI Notes]
436 words (1.2 pages)
- The Move Summer of 2000, my parents decided we should move to California. From Georgia to California, East Coast to West Coast. I do not think my mom really wanted to move. It was my Daji’s (Dad’s eldest brother) fault. He and his son bought a motel in Morro Bay, California. Daji wanted my dad to help him run it(the motel). So in order for that to happen, we would all have to move. My mom was not coming with my dad, sister and me, just yet. We still had our house and my mom still had her job. We needed the income.... [tags: Personal Narrative Moving Essays]
1172 words (3.3 pages)