Essay PreviewMore ↓
Base on the framework of culture analysis some models have been proposed for examine groupings of cultural values which are helpful. At the same time the models are provided the ways that help people to examine cultural similarities and differences. This is because of culture have the combination and relationship in people life especially for application in business activities. The Hofsted model (1980), it is the named of culture analysis model which proposed four dimensions, or indices, of culture. Reseacher said, they were developed on the basis of a worldwide survey of employees in a large U.S. multinational company. The measure of indices have some characteristic which are individualism, uncertainty avoidance, power distance, and masculinity. Most of these characteristic index are giving impact on the management policies in international business.
The first characteristic of Hofsted model is Individualism (IDV), it is refer to the degree of acceptance and encouragment by the society when those person / individual doing action and making decision. The society that having a high IDV index showed about they had emphasizes the role play by individual, then a low IDV index is about the society emphasizes the role play by grouping. There is have some socities that assume individualism in positive side and see it as the advantages for their company achievement but others also view that with dissapproval and disruptive. In the business perspective, those countries that in high IDV of effective management it is involved the policies, practices, and procedures that allow the individualls to find initiative make decisions, and work on their own.
How to Cite this Page
"The Element of Culture in Business." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Nov 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. Identify the advantages and disadvantages of taking your small business online by performing a SWOT analysis. Include 2-4 items in each category. What is a SWOT analysis. It is an evaluation of strengths and weaknesses of a business unit and identification of opportunities presented by the markets of business units and threats posed by competitors. Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats is what the letters of SWOT resemble (Schneider 2001 page 32).. Inside a business are where the strengths and weaknesses are found and what each business is capable of handling.... [tags: Business Analysis ]
1559 words (4.5 pages)
- Trusting Culture on knowledge management (KM) According to Strong and Weber (1998), a trusting culture is one that is characterized by actions and personal conducts, which discourage use of personal interests over group interest, and it incorporates positive attitude in regard to the conduct of others in the group. Trusting culture is a very reliable tool in knowledge management. This is attributed to the fact that the surrounding atmosphere is composed of trust, thus the quality of information being disseminated is high.... [tags: Culture ]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- ... George Ortiz was a famous collector and a fervent believer in the antiquities market. Ortiz believed that the activity of collecting was under attack and that it was not as bad as many people made it out to be. His main argument was that, as stated before, collecting is fundamental to saving the past, and is the main reason why many cultures have been displayed across the world for all to see. Ortiz writes, “an ancient work of art is a very complex entity. It is very important to realise that although it can reveal historical data it must also be looked at aesthetically—it is not crime to love beauty” (15).... [tags: Archaeology, Archaeological site, Artifact]
1449 words (4.1 pages)
- I have often heard it said that if you want your business to succeed you should hire and surround yourself with people who are smarter than yourself. In the modern business world companies are finding it more and more difficult to compete solely on product, especially as it seems that every company a given industry is producing the (or very similar) products. Even competing on quality is a hard sell in the modern market as quality standards have become intense as consumer expectations have continued to rise.... [tags: Business]
1693 words (4.8 pages)
- Progressivism, ranging from 1880 to 1920, was a well-planned and well-organized movement in the United States having wide as well as diversified goals. Leaders of progressivism movement focused on humanity element and tried to make advancements by promoting liberation to stimulate human force along with exploiting human potential to remove restraints imposed by contemporary liberalization. The paper will present an overview of Progressivism as a wide and varied movement. It will also discuss the goals of movement and mention some of the prominent people who took part in it.... [tags: humanity element, culture, language]
1277 words (3.6 pages)
- International Business The business world has always relied heavily on contractual agreements while conducting business. These contracts while written in ink, are set in stone. Once your business partner signs his/her name on the dotted line the pact has been sealed and nothing else needs to be said. But what happens when you take away the physical contractual element and everything is agreed upon through one's word. The world of business ethics is an old discipline in most parts of the world, and in most cases, is applied to the everyday business world.... [tags: business ethics, business morality]
1640 words (4.7 pages)
- 1. Identify the advantages and disadvantages of taking your small business online by performing a SWOT analysis. Include 2-4 items in each category. What is a SWOT analysis. It is an evaluation of strengths and weaknesses of a business unit and identification of opportunities presented by the markets of business units and treats posed by competitors. Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats is what the letters for SWOT stand for. Inside a business are where the strengths and weakness are found and what the each business is capable of handling.... [tags: Business Management ]
1613 words (4.6 pages)
- 1. “To get rich and glorious” quote was said by Deng Xiao Ping, member of the communist party in China. They got richer, faster than any people ever had. The economy is now 10 times larger than it was then; it grew 300% just in the last 10 years. Incomes rose every year. People in China are becoming millionaires there than anywhere else on earth (Time Asia.) 2. Techno-nationalism is expressive and strict categories for understanding the impact of technology on society and vice versa. They reflect the fundamental assumptions made by analysts of the place of technology in the world, and denote ideologies, rather than technological policies or realities.... [tags: Asian Business]
1838 words (5.3 pages)
- To: President, XYZ Corporation From: Foreign Relations Director Date: Subject: Important Info for your Business Trip to Mexico On Thursday, October 20, you'll be taking a one-week business trip to Mexico to meet with our potential clients there. As you have never visited the country before, I have prepared a short report for you on what you will need to know so as not to offend anybody. Business Relationships Mexicans place a good deal amount of emphasis on personal relationships. The key to a successful business trip to Mexico is establishing a close relationship with the client.... [tags: International Business]
1613 words (4.6 pages)
- Culture The people of Aruba come primarily from European, African, and Latin American countries and the culture of the island reflects these varied backgrounds. The language, food, religion, and celebrations on Aruba are composed of a healthy mix of these countries. Aruba is closely tied to Holland because of its long occupation and present partnership in the Netherlands kingdom. The official language is Dutch, which is seen on the street signs, official documents, and many local newspapers. However, many aspects of Aruba’s culture reveal strong influences of contributing cultures, such as the common language Papiamento.... [tags: essays papers]
846 words (2.4 pages)
On other hand, Italy and Singapore as a society that stated individualistm versus collectivist. Italy known as the society is individualistic, avoid uncertainty and believes in equality. They are also appreciate the individual in their society that being advance to make decision and think for the future. Singapore as the collectivist society refers to the social behavior they are mainly determined by the views, needs and goals of the group. Also shared beliefs and they work together. As the researcher (JoAnn Meriwether Craig, 1993) said family’s moral influences and schools’ education led Singaporeans to be collectivis.
The second model is Uncertainty Avoidance (UAI) refers to the degree of acceptance and dealing with uncertainty by the society. Those society which in high UAI index level wishes to avoid uncertainty and will seeking certainty and the security. The society in low UAI index stated the acceptance and open to unknown with a high degree of uncertainty. There is have the socities which look up the certainty as their requirement, then those people not worry about the impact of uncertainty, besides for some viewer uncertainty giving the oppurtunities and excitement like make a changes in innovation. It is same to goes to the internatinal business countries that in low UAI index; the reverse case is correct, job security is not under stressed, decision making are quickly , low risk taking are encouraged. Also, the countries which stated at high UAI indexes shows their effective management and provides a well defined work role, jobs security, and some great opportunities that purpose to decrease uncertainty through the developing of consensus.
Next, the example on business country that involved in Uncertainty Avoidance (UAI) is Brazil. Brazil demonstrate Uncertainty Avoidance (UAI) level of 76. This proves the low level of public tolerance of uncertainty effects. Brazil took an approach to minimize or reduce the level of uncertainty with enforcing the law, to renew the policy and its implementing regulations, and continuing. Subsequently, the main goal of Brazil population is to keep everything under control even more so mere wants to eliminate or avoid the unexpected. Therefore, the existence of the characteristics of Uncertainty Avoidance is high, group business of society is not easy to accept change and the risks are very bad.
Thirdly, Power Distance (PDI) means the degree of accepted and sanctioned in society towards power differences. When the PDI located at high index there is have the belief of the society which hope everyone has a righful place. About the PDI which in low index generally, in the society there is have the belief that enable people suppose to have equal right and they have chances to change their position. Other society also viewed that the well distribution of power give advantages to them. It will contribute the socitey well in management because of each people or staff are protected, and they knows what their position exactly is. Some of other view believe that those people who more powerful make the power corrupted cause of they treat badly the people with less power.The countries with high PDI indexes is in effective management because of a well defined hierarchy, centralized in decision making process, level of authoritarian leadership. Same goes to the countries in low PDI indexes which is prooven will reverse, have fewer levels management that causes flatter organization, also fewer supervisor.
When countries that have low power distance it is common in business with countries that have higher power distance than itself. In this case, it is important to live with the direction of business leaders, to no reliance on subordinates in taking the initiative unless given thorough instruction. besides that, leaders need to anticipate the social differences between managers and subordinates as to ensure that they respect the leader. leaders should also take a different approach with his business work styles because these countries have very different cultural aspects of them. The power distance can measure with scale index known as the Power Distance Index , which is the scale ranges from 1 to 120. The example on business country that involved in Power Distance Index is England. Enland showed its power range 35, this is mean that England is a country that belongs to alow power distance. For the U.S. it has power range of 40. By comparison England showed slightly lower distance than Americans.
Fourthly,Masculinity (MAS) refers to the degree to which traditional male values are important to a society. The values such as assertiveness, perfomance, ambition, achievement, and material, possesions. Clearly the societies with high MAS indexes have differentiated sex roles, and men are dominant. Then the societies with low MAS indexes have predominantely feminine values. This values focus on quality of life and the environment as well as nurture and concern for the less fortunate sex roles that not consistent. In addition, some people look to traditional values as necessary to sustain life. It is refering to the man that must be aggressive and women must be protected. Besides other views believe that dominated by traditional values will damage by the men, both sexes are the contributors in the community. For high MAS it is work and play different roles in a more effective management, meanwhile emphasized achievement, and rewards high performance with the money. So that the low MAS index shows an emphasis on quality of worklife, received sex equity, and return with no difference based on factors other than performance.
According to the researcher (e.g., Adler, 1998; Jelinek and Adler, 1998; Moran, 1986) they were suggest that women are good expatriate managers and that foreign women are accepted as managers, even in countries in which local women do not hold such positions – they are seen, in a sense, as a third sex. Also they said, women are sometimes more sensitive to cultural differences than their male counterparts, that they may be treated with deference in some location, and that they can sometimes gain access to locals when men cannot. Althought this does not suggest that companies should send only women on foreign assignments, it does suggets that women should be considered for any foreign assignmnet where they have the necessary expertise.