Electronic waste is becoming a widespread epidemic all around the world. As large corporation create new, innovative technology, the backlog of e-waste grows, increasing year by year. In the following visual, a bar graph is shown depicting the amounts of e-waste different countries produced in the year 2012. The total amount of e-waste produced that year was 49 million metric tons (Richter). As shown below in Figure 1, the United States produced 9.4 million tons of e-waste, China produced 7.3 million tons, and Japan created 2.7 million tons in 2012 (Richter). These three countries were the top producers of e-waste in 2012, and combined, they generated nearly 20 million tons of e-waste. As the years continue to pass, the amount will escala...
... middle of paper ...
...s notorious for e-waste. Like Ghana, the citizens of Guiyu are involved in burning e-waste to extract valuables (Carroll). China has taken steps to end this e-waste trade, but their efforts have been disregarded and ignored by other countries (Carroll). The government has attempted to enact laws prohibiting the dumping of e-waste, but these attempts have been disregarded by others.
Electronic waste is a fairly new, but rapidly growing problem in the world today. Humans are contributing to the directly and indirectly, through the improper disposal of e-waste and the overproduction of electronics. E-waste is a problem plaguing a multitude of countries. The issue began after the Industrial Revolution changed to course of technology and the modern age began. If this issue is not properly addressed, the welfare of the planet and those who inhabit it may be in danger.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Electronic waste, or e-waste, has become a rising environmental issue in the world today. E-waste is an expression used to describe unwanted, dysfunctional, or obsolete electronic products that are nearing the end of their useful life (“What Is E-Waste?”). The products encompassed by the term are a broad spectrum of appliances ranging from household items such as refrigerators, microwaves, and ovens to everyday modern technology like smartphones, computers, TVs, and stereos (“E-Waste Information”).... [tags: Waste, Hazardous waste, Pollution]
1433 words (4.1 pages)
- “What Assignment” E-waste stands for electronic waste such as computers, cell phones, printers and television. E-waste is unwanted or unused electronics that are no longer in use. Unused electrons are overfilling landfills on the globe. “The United States have more than 100 million worth of electronics to dispose of and only 20 percent of it is recycled” (What Is E-waste?). “The other 80 percent is thrown away and most electronic contain harmful chemicals” (What Is E-waste?). When all of the electronic toxic chemicals add up in piles of waste, the threat to the environment is very harmful.... [tags: Recycling, Waste management, Waste]
1487 words (4.2 pages)
- Electronic waste, also known as e-waste, has been a growing problem in the world due to the growth of technology. With just about every American home and many homes around the world having not only one but multiple computers and other electronic devices it raises the question of where is all of those electronics going when new and updated electronics are bought. Although many Americans believe that there cannot be anything done about their e-waste and the problem it has presented to the environment, however there are things being done to prevent harm such as less hazardous products being used in electronics, laws on disposal, and proper recycling habits.... [tags: Recycling, Waste management, Developed country]
705 words (2 pages)
- E-waste stands for electronic waste such for example computers, cell phones, printers and television. E-waste is unwanted or unused electronics that are no longer in use. Unused electrons are stuffing landfills on the globe. The United States have more than 100 million worth of electronics to dispose and just 20 percent of it is recycled. The other 80 percent is thrown out because most electronic contain harmful chemicals. When the bulk of electronic dangerous chemicals are in piles of waste, the danger to nature is being threaten (What Is E-waste?).... [tags: Recycling, Waste management, Waste]
1462 words (4.2 pages)
- The New Hazardous Waste: Electronic Waste Technology has opened human existence to greater ideas and knowledge than we ever thought was possible. Technological advances in everything from medicine to the distribution of information have made for a better and more convenient life. Computers and the use of the internet has created a global network in which people half-way across the globe from each other can communicate and share information instantaneously. In 1965 Gordon Moore, one of the founding members of the Intel corporation, observed and proclaimed that the processing power of computers was doubling every 18 months.... [tags: Technology Technological Essays]
2799 words (8 pages)
- 21 century-is the time when humanity has progressed in a field of technology. Intensive development and use of techniques has led to changes not only in economy but also in socio-political and spiritual spheres of social life. However, this progress has brought with itself devastating disasters like electronics waste which cause serious health and environment pollution problems. E-waste- is a type of waste that contains obsolete or non-working electronic and electrical devices. Electronic waste can have a high level of danger because of contaminants like mercury, beryllium, cadmium, lead and brominated flame retardants discharging of which into environment may lead to formation o... [tags: Electronics Recycling]
1064 words (3 pages)
- Electronic and electrical equipment is essential part of busy world.It substitute hard human work and make it faster.The majority of mankind has computer at home or at work. In recent years changing of electronic equipment become faster due to obsolescence and fashion(Deathe et al. 2008, 322 ).The problem of e-waste influence on the future environment hangs over the modern society. E-waste ^ also known as electronic waste.It means electrical and electronic equipment which is not suitable for use and fill the damps.... [tags: Recycling Electronics]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Introduction: One of the fastest growing solid waste in USA and the world is used electronic equipment. With everyday growth in electronic technology and its wide use in the industry, our everyday life gets easier. This day to day use of technological equipment like cell phones, GPS, CRT or even batteries has made our lives very dependent on the need for fast growth of technology and new designs. These new designs and the fast growth is the cause of early obsolescence for electronic devices. Usually Excess of electronic devices is shuffled together, and is called E-waste by the EPA and some public environmental agencies.... [tags: recycling, pollution, evironmental sconcerns]
1842 words (5.3 pages)
- Should We “Recycle” Our Electronic Waste. Where did the electronic waste go. When we throw out our old equipment, old TVs and computers end up in landfills, there are various toxic metals can cause various environmental problems. Yet even recycling the electronic waste, it might not be good to our environment. Have you even thought of how the United States shipping their electronic waste to some developing countries and the problems it may cause. As the United States passed the laws to recycle the electronic wastes, the companies can ship the electronic waste to the so-called recyclers in other countries legally.... [tags: Celular, Phones, Metals]
1051 words (3 pages)
- With the astounding progress we have made over the last 50 years in technological advances it is no surprise that it is referred to as the information age with all of the things we have been able to achieve. From landing on the moon, from a computer and a cell phone as one all of our landmarks that have been seen as greatness, they are also seen by many as garbage, and a lot of it. In the near future we will be making better, faster, and cooler stuff always advancing but that will leave a lot of today's garbage to be attended to, as well futures garbage.... [tags: (eWaste)]
1071 words (3.1 pages)