Society has evolved drastically within the last 50 years due to new and ever developing technology. Video games, which were developed in the late 1980’s early 1990’s, are a product of the new life changing technology. Video games, or to be more specific violent video games have been most popular among children and young adults. Parents do not tend to see the consequences that evolve around violent video games; especially kids who play more then ten hours a weeks worth of these games. Only recently has the videogame technology progressed and became more engaging using life like simulations of violence, igniting aggressive behavior in young adult and may in fact desensitize them to violence. Although, some may believe that violent video games do not contribute to any of these factors; research shows that violent games have a profound effect on aggressive behavior in children and young adults coupled with the factors of parenting style, lifestyle, and stages of brain development.
I am not surprised to find out that the majority of kids now a day are resolving their conflicts through aggression. For instance, I have a 16 year old brother who plays violent video games on a daily bases. Unfortunately he displays a great amount of aggression and anger towards his younger sisters. He is constantly using explicit language, hurting his younger sisters; by as little as throwing books at them, and is always making inappropriate sexual comments around others. When my parents try to resolve these issues and take his video games away, my brother gets very angry and knocks anything or anyone in his way. My parents try to take action but it never works out due to the greater issues my brother can cause. In the article, violent video games cont...
... middle of paper ...
...in violent movies, books, and violence in their own writings. The report did not find a relationship between playing violent video games and school shootings. Also according to Dr. Christopher Ferguson, department chair of psychology and communications at Texas A&M
International University in Laredo states that, “he has not come across any link between playing violent video games and likelihood for violent behavior and de-sensitivity,” (CBSnews). After these school or public shoots occur Ferguson believes that it is interesting how eager some segments of society are to grab onto this narrative of violence in video games; that in a period of moral panic…. It gives [society] a sense of control over things they cannot control. The public wants these violent games to be the main the cause of aggression and violence among children and young adults, but they are not.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the 21st century, huge researches are devoted to analyze the new approaches of children entertainment. These days we notice scientists give a considerable interest to video games concept for the reason of the plurality and the diversity of theories related to this topic. Influencing youngsters age 4 to 45 year-o, these video games have called for worry in our society seeing issues for example, depression, addiction, and aggrieves behavior.Violent of video game is the issue that I face and I did a few researchers and the survey to show that there are great hypothetical reasons to believe that violent video games are hurtful.... [tags: Video game, Nonviolent video game, Aggression]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- Ever since the video game was invented many years ago, violent, bloody games have existed also. Some include killing zombies, shooting people, and fighting that ends in either someone dying or being hurt. The outcome remains the same, and a select few continue to live out these games throughout their daily life. These games can sometimes cause people to become angry. Although, some video games may have a negative effect on some people’s lives, other reasons such as their home life can be a factor in these people’s behavior.... [tags: child's behavior, violent games,video games]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Violent video games are a source of entertainment for young people today. However, some people view violent video games as a dangerous influence in society. Violent video games are not all bad and should be embraced, because of holistic benefits and shaping the world of tomorrow as well as understanding why young people play. Playing video games may actually improve one’s health. Anxiety is a fear that can affect a player’s state of wellness. According to The American Pain Society, In 2010, video games with emphasis on virtual reality have been effective in lowering anxiety or pain caused by medical procedures or incurable sickness ( Guerini).... [tags: Pro Video Game Violence]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- “Life is a video game. No matter how good you get, you are always zapped in the end” (“Video Game Quotes” 1). Over time researchers, psychiatrists, and parents have often wondered how damaging violent video games can be to the youth in society. This is an important matter to people with children in their personal lives or work environment. These games have become a large risk factor for aggressive behavior in children. Researchers have been saying that video games do affect adults as well; however, they have even more effect on younger brains in early development.... [tags: Impact of Violent Games]
1975 words (5.6 pages)
- In society, there are a lot of controversies about the way people are judged and how they appear within that society, such as body images, financial stability, and mental functions. However, there is just as big of a controversy towards video games as those other things. Video games are widely believed to be a source of violence among children and teenagers. In this controversy there are two sides; one side argues that video games do produce violence, and the other side argues that they do not. In the United States, ninety percent of teenagers play video games averaging four to five hours per day.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy, Violence]
1537 words (4.4 pages)
- What were the main results/conclusions in the studies. On the classical study, Bandura et al. (1963) found that all three experimental groups (both boys and girls) imitated aggression viewed in models. Children in groups exposed to aggression by a film or cartoons, showed twice aggression than those in the control group. However, of the three experimental groups, the exposure of a human model in a film portraying aggression was the most imitated. Researchers concluded that the gender of the models, especially male models, had a significant effect on learning and executing aggression; additionally, male children tend to be more aggressive compared to girls, even in non-diverted children.... [tags: Violence, Video game controversy, Aggression]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- Do Violent Video Games Contribute to Youth Violence. Introduction: As part of the main story in Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag, you are on a quest to find a secret power, enriched with gold and riches that lies within a cave protected by natives in order to maintain the peace and prosperity of a nation. As an assassin, you are part of a secret order that kills people by following a code. You have to assassinate the people that stand in the way of your creed and learn pieces of history to connect the dots.... [tags: Video game, Violence, Video game controversy]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- Does playing video games cause aggressive behavior. Because children and teenagers spend an increased amount of time each day playing video games, they are shaping their values, attitudes, and behaviors. For people who do act out aggressively, the results can be deadly. Monthly, the news is filled with blood-chilling accounts of crimes committed due to a copy-cat obsession with violent video games. This paper will present a brief review of literature and reveal the difficulties in answering this question with certainty.... [tags: Media, Violent Video Games]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- Controversy surrounds almost every topic and has been around for centuries. Controversial topics usually involve different types of people that have two opposite points of view about a certain topic or idea. The widespread expansion of technology has allowed people all over the world to debate certain topics that they deem to have a correct understanding of. Unsurprisingly, the effect of video games on the human brain has been a controversy since video games were first released decades ago. Video games involve the use of body and mind, which causes the player to be "inside" of the game, and they can see the world through the eyes of the character of which they play.... [tags: Violent Video Games]
1737 words (5 pages)
- Violent Video Games and Aggressive Behavior Statistics have shown that the violence among young people is increasing every year. Many people blame musicians and other types of artists who portray negative actions as something positive. Others might blame the parents for not watching over their children. But many people fail to bring up technology as an issue. With the new DVD that shows sex and violence or computers that gives kids access to unauthorized sites, technology is something that many parents need to look out for.... [tags: Violent Video Games Youth Violence]
1571 words (4.5 pages)