The first text message was sent on December 3, 1992. This message simply said “Merry Christmas”. After this became known, it is extremely common, not only in the United States, but worldwide. “Over six billion text messages are a day just in the United States” (CNN). After 21 years the growth of texting is slowing down. Texting while driving isn’t the only distraction behind the wheel, but is a very comm...
... middle of paper ...
.... Questia. Web. 22 Nov. 2013.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention: Impaired Driving: Get the Facts.
CNN: Cable News Network: OMG, the Text Message Turns 21.
Gozzi, Raymond. "Distracted." Et Cetera 68.1 (2011): 110+. Questia. Web. 22 Nov. 2013.
Lennon, Ron, Randall Rentfro, and Bay O'Leary. "Social Marketing and Distracted Driving
Behaviors among Young Adults: The Effectiveness of Fear Appeals." Academy of
Marketing Studies Journal 14.2 (2010): 95+. Questia. Web. 22 Nov. 2013.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Facts and Statistics.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Effects of Driving While Text Messaging Texting while driving has been on the rise in the recent years, and we’ve all heard the sad and tragic consequences of the using a cell phone while driving. Many states have passed laws regarding the use of cell phones while driving and requiring the use of a hands-free device in your car. Some states have overwhelming fines per offense but some are just a minimal fee. Here’s the facts and figures of the effects of texting while driving. Texting is a newer, shorter and very convenient method of sending messages back and forth between users on a cell phone.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Instant messaging]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- Texting while driving is a widespread epidemic in the United States that has unfavorable effects on our society.“Driving while texting is the standard wording used for traffic violations” (Bernstein). It causes many people to be distracted which can lead to accidents. “Eighty-nine percent of people own a cell phone” (Gardner). That is a plethora of people that are at risk of texting while driving. Also, texting has increased by ten times in three years(Bernstein). “The risk of a crash for those who are texting is twenty-three point two times greater than those who are not” (Gardner).Driving drunk only makes a person seven times more likely to be in a crash (Bernstein).... [tags: distracted driving]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- Now a days everyone is glued to their phones, constantly checking their emails, facebooking, snapchatting and texting. With all the devices people have and interact with on a day to day basis, there seems to be a lack of knowledge on how dangerous these devices really are. A report done by the AAA traffic safety foundation showed that “Each year, more than 80% of drivers in the annual AAA Foundation Traffic Safety Culture Index cite distraction as a serious problem and a behavior that makes them feel less safe on the road.” With the limited hours of free time during the day, people are using driving time to check emails and make phone calls which is inflicting on the safety of everyone aroun... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Drunk driving]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- If you 're familiar with any kind of news distribution medium, you 're well aware that the media likes to sensationalize negative stories. Yet when it comes texting while driving and the impacts thereof, the facts themselves are sensational enough. It 's almost unbelievable that individuals are witness to the catastrophic effects of texting while driving and still choose to do so. I myself once chose to indulge in this dangerous behavior. For the first several months that I had my driver 's license, I was putting my life in danger almost every time I drove.... [tags: Text messaging, Mobile phone, Family, Automobile]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- This is what someone looks like when they text and drive. This table could have been another car on the road in which case I would not be standing here in front of you right now. I would probably be laying on the floor, knocked out or dead. Driving is probably one of the most, if not the most, dangerous thing that we do every day. Cell phones while a good way to call for help, locate the nearest Taco Bell, or listen to our favorite song, become a threat when we are tempted to text on them while we drive.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Tram accident]
847 words (2.4 pages)
- A study made by Virginia Tech, says that an individual is twenty-three times more likely to get in a car accident if they are distracted by a mobile device (cbsnews.com). Thirty-eight states have banned texting, and 8 states have partial bands on texting and driving. Evidence shows that drivers that are distracted by a phone, while behind the wheel of a 4000 pound vehicle endanger not only themselves but others as well. “You’re a hazardous driver to yourself and everybody else” (Web MD). The impacts and effects associated with texting and driving should be outlawed because of the danger that every single driver and passenger are at risk of.... [tags: Distracted Driving]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- Texting While Driving Many states prohibit texting while driving. In fact, laws have been established that prevent drivers from using their cell phone unless it is an emergency. About 73% of drivers say it is easy to text and drive, however 1.3 million car crashes are caused by texting and driving. An effort to band texting and driving in Texas is in limbo in the Senate and was one vote shy of having enough members agree to bring it to the floor. (Tinsley 1) Senator Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo states that they are so very close and will prevent death, injuries and reduce property damage.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Bluetooth]
1463 words (4.2 pages)
- A major issue throughout the world is people who are behind the wheel of a vehicle while using a cellular device. Many believe it is causing an increase to traffic accidents and deaths. The research article covers two experiments conducted by David L. Strayer and William A. Johnson from the University of Utah. Studies that were conducted examined the impact of conversations with cellular devices while preforming a simulated driving task. In addition, performance tested the effects of listening to a radio broadcast or a book that was on tape.... [tags: Mobile phone, Bluetooth, Cellular network]
1219 words (3.5 pages)
- Texting and Driving Five seconds is the average time your eyes are off the road while texting. When traveling at 55mph, that 's enough time to cover the length of a football field blindfolded(Olsen, Rebecca L.). In the world we live in today we are constantly trying to keep up with all the social aspects that occur in our lives, teens especially think that it is crucial to send/recive a text or use a cell phone while driving. Every day our roads are introduced to new and inexperienced drivers. Ones that for the first time are getting behind the wheel for the first time without any adult supervision.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, SMS]
1611 words (4.6 pages)
- Mobile phone use in motor vehicles has increased at a remarkable rate over the past 15 years. Yet it is undeniable that utilizing a cell phone while driving can affect driver performance as it relates to the overall safe operation of a vehicle. There are a number of things to consider in deciding whether the trade off in convenience is worth the potential risks associated with the distraction created by a cell phone. Given the fact that the individual driver (and/or business owner) ultimately pays for the resulting consequences associated with an auto or truck accident (financial, emotional and physical lose); it is prudent to seek out relevant and reliable information in making a decisio... [tags: Texting Driving Cell phone car accident]
1640 words (4.7 pages)