This source shows several different personal experiences with teens and other age groups that have come close to or have gotten in horrible accidents. Along with experiences, it features statistics of texting and driving and clearly gets the point through that it should be stopped. The author is a writer in Denver who specializes in environmental issues. Hosansky does not show any bias because he is a freelance writer, while not using any any sort of language against the topic. The audience is made up of any person who has a cell phone and drives car. They need to be aware of this problem so they either stop doing it or never start. The source seems to be very supportive of other articles in the case of stopping texting and driving. This source provides a lot of information on how bad texting and driving can be and can be very useful with statistics being showed along with people’s personal experiences. I found this resource linked on a CQ Research page after searching texting and driving.
Hanes, Stephanie. "Texting Caused Total Distracted Driving Deaths to Raise, Study Shows."
National Newspaper Core. 23 Sept. 2010. Web. 18 Mar. 2016. .
This source talks about how the increase in texting and driving has showed a big increase in deaths and explains how some states are trying to enforce laws more. The writer of the source is a writer who blogs about environmental issues all around the country. She shows little to no bias by only explaining statistics and facts about how other states along with people have tried stopping the issue. The audience is those who are looking for reasons to help this cause because it shows how deadly it really can...
... middle of paper ...
...ces I have read have tons of statistics that include the increase of deaths by people in car accidents from texting while driving. It is responsible for four times as many car crashes a than before. Through loads and loads of testing, researchers have yet to find someone who is not negatively affected by being o their phone while driving. A solution to this problem could be to create and enforce laws all over the nation along with starting a large movement across the nation to make this aware. With enough factors getting in the way of people being on their phones while driving, the roads will be a lot safer and the number of deaths and accidents will go down greatly. This is viable because myself along with many people I know have made pledges not to do it anymore and since then, none of us have done it. We feel safer and more aware whenever we are driving somewhere.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Texting while driving is a widespread epidemic in the United States that has unfavorable effects on our society.“Driving while texting is the standard wording used for traffic violations” (Bernstein). It causes many people to be distracted which can lead to accidents. “Eighty-nine percent of people own a cell phone” (Gardner). That is a plethora of people that are at risk of texting while driving. Also, texting has increased by ten times in three years(Bernstein). “The risk of a crash for those who are texting is twenty-three point two times greater than those who are not” (Gardner).Driving drunk only makes a person seven times more likely to be in a crash (Bernstein).... [tags: distracted driving]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- A word has started to appear in discussions of driving. The word is "distracted." It refers to drivers who pay more attention to their cell phones, or their text messages, than they do to driving. The results can be fatal. One of the most common distractions today is texting. Each day in the United States, 9 people are killed and more than 1,060 people are injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver (Center). A couple of months ago, I and a friend were sitting at a red light waiting on green.... [tags: driving, text message, traffic deaths]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- A study made by Virginia Tech, says that an individual is twenty-three times more likely to get in a car accident if they are distracted by a mobile device (cbsnews.com). Thirty-eight states have banned texting, and 8 states have partial bands on texting and driving. Evidence shows that drivers that are distracted by a phone, while behind the wheel of a 4000 pound vehicle endanger not only themselves but others as well. “You’re a hazardous driver to yourself and everybody else” (Web MD). The impacts and effects associated with texting and driving should be outlawed because of the danger that every single driver and passenger are at risk of.... [tags: Distracted Driving]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- This is what someone looks like when they text and drive. This table could have been another car on the road in which case I would not be standing here in front of you right now. I would probably be laying on the floor, knocked out or dead. Driving is probably one of the most, if not the most, dangerous thing that we do every day. Cell phones while a good way to call for help, locate the nearest Taco Bell, or listen to our favorite song, become a threat when we are tempted to text on them while we drive.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Tram accident]
847 words (2.4 pages)
- ... In phase three, subjects were engaged in text conversations while driving the simulator. Lastly in phase four, subjects discussed their experience in the experiment. This research found that the driving performance was affected by the drivers age. Overall, they found that when driving and engaging in a text message it decreased the driver’s level of performance. Therefore, the more time the driver spends on creating a text message while driving can increase the probability of creating driving errors.... [tags: Text messaging, Mobile phone, SMS]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
- Texting While Driving Many states prohibit texting while driving. In fact, laws have been established that prevent drivers from using their cell phone unless it is an emergency. About 73% of drivers say it is easy to text and drive, however 1.3 million car crashes are caused by texting and driving. An effort to band texting and driving in Texas is in limbo in the Senate and was one vote shy of having enough members agree to bring it to the floor. (Tinsley 1) Senator Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo states that they are so very close and will prevent death, injuries and reduce property damage.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Bluetooth]
1463 words (4.2 pages)
- Texting and Driving Teenagers and adults day after day suffer from the wrath of texting and driving. The National Highway Traffic Administration reported that in “2010, texting and driving was the cause of eighteen percent of all fatal crashes with 3,092 people killed. Texting and driving also resulted in crashes that cause 416,000 people being wounded” (Par. 6). Cell phone use in cars starts to become an issue when the number one driving distraction reported by teen and young adult drivers is texting and driving.... [tags: Text messaging, Mobile phone, Automobile]
1335 words (3.8 pages)
- ... Stating that texting while driving is as reckless as drinking and driving. Which normally drinking and driving is considered to be the worst decision to make because it impairs all of the sense leaving one almost unfunctional. Nonetheless, in this case texting while driving is viewed to be the same as drinking a couple of beers and getting behind the wheel. The NHTSA has concluded texting and driving is responsible for much of accidents that happen annually; placing it top for the most cost accidents.... [tags: Text messaging, Mobile phone, Automobile]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- ... Her parents would not have taking away her phone, and she would have a car. Christina is very lucky to be alive today, and walking away from that wreck with only minor injuries. It could have been worse; she could be dead. (Classification- Compare/Contrast) Texting and driving is the act of sending, reading text messages, emails, or any use on a phone while driving. Texting and driving has become a huge issue in today’s society. Many teens, as well as adults have formed regular habits to become distracted from the road by their cell phones, knowing the possible outcome.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, SMS]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- Strengthening texting and driving laws Due to increasing technological innovations, many people are gradually trapping themselves in the web of cell phones. Even with primary laws in effect, drivers are tempted to text and drive on the road, and it has only brought grave consequences. According to the United States Department of Transportation, “It is estimated that drivers who text while on the road contribute to at least 100,000 collisions each year (qt. in Northwest drivers Admit). Besides causing careless accidents, intexicated drivers become a threat to society because other people’s safety is at risk.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, SMS]
2123 words (6.1 pages)