An abacus is the ancient form of accounting technology. It used different color beads, ten on each slide that were moved up and down to represent numbers, this is how an account did his job in the ancient days. Than as time moved forward people started using ledgers with pencil and paper and the human brain to calculate the numbers. Than time moved forward more and more, things like the calculator, adding machine and pre-printed ledger books come to be, making the accountant’s job less tedious and easier. Even though these items are not the technology that we are quite looking at, they are still were considered the latest accounting technology of its time.
Technology in the accounting field really took off toward the end of the twentieth century. Computers where becoming more and more used in business and things like the Microsoft office suites were making pen and paper a thing of the past. The software product that really hit the accounting department the hardest ...
... middle of paper ...
...The information means a lot to me personally, it means that I have chosen a great field to study and that there is a great possibility for me to gain a job after graduation and be able to contribute to a growing field with the technology skills that I am gaining.
In the past there was very little ways of knowing and checking if someone was “cooking the books” or committing fraud. Business trusted their employees to be honest and that their work was for the good of the company and not just for personal gain. With the devastating consequences of corporate fraud with companies such as Enron, and Tyco, a new field in accounting opened up, forensic accounting. Forensic accounting does not just have to deal with fraud, it also helps to find embezzling, financial statement fraud, Bankruptcies, money laundering, and contract disputes, security fraud and insurance claims.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Accounting World is moving very fast everyone wants to catch up with this advancement world is turning into a global village things are getting smaller and smaller day by day due to advancement of technology. Everyone trying its best to just cope up with this situation. Good home, a good job is everyone’s dream and to achieve that everyone is working hard. Everyone would agree that competition between younger generation have become tough in every field of life whether it be studies or jobs everyone tries to settle with the best.... [tags: Finance, Auditing]
552 words (1.6 pages)
- Information technology affects on Riordan Manufacturing Overall Effects of IT on Riordan Manufacturing Information technology affects on Riordan Manufacturing Overall Effects of IT on Riordan Manufacturing Riordan Manufacturing is one of the global leaders in the field of plastic injection molding owned by Riordan Industries. The company employing 550 people with projected annual earnings of $46 million. The corporate headquarters and research and development are located in San Jose, CA. The various manufacturing plants are located in Albany, GA, Pontiac, MI and Hangzhou, China.... [tags: Business Technology]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- In today’s society technology is used for everything. With the invention of computers and the internet this open doors to the cyber world. Today you can do almost anything without having to leave your home. The internet gives us the opportunity of shopping online, ordering food online, working from home and video chatting with friends and family across the world. Everyone has a computer and internet access in their homes. While the internet is really convenient it also opens doors for cybercrimes, loss of privacy and the need for computer security.... [tags: Computer security, Information security, Privacy]
2112 words (6 pages)
The Cpa Journal : Professional Journal Aimed At Public Practitioners, Educators, And Other Accounting Professionals
- The CPA Journal is a broadly recognized professional journal aimed at public practitioners, management, educators, and other accounting professionals. The New York State Society of CPAs has published the journal on a monthly basis since the 1930s. The journal takes a focused and in-depth look at issues affecting the financial world and provides analysis, perspective, and debate on such major topics as accounting, auditing, taxation, finance, management, technology, and professional ethics. Their stated goal is to provide CPAs and other accounting professionals with the information and news that enables them to be successful in today 's practice environments.... [tags: Accountant, Certified Public Accountant]
1050 words (3 pages)
- Tax Law: A Broader Perspective Accounting for Income Taxes Taxes and the Law: A Broader Perspective Taxes are everywhere and exist as a vital part of national structure, both legally and financially. Taxation influences everything from wages to inheritance. Given this, one is compelled to inquire as to how this balance works and what constitutes its existence. That is where understanding the effects of tax law and how they are accounted for have great import. As with any other facet of life, rules accompany the application and processing of taxes, and how they are required to be paid.... [tags: Tax Accounting]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- Nickel allergies increasing frequency due to growing consumer technology use Everyday people come in contact with electronics; whether it is an electric toothbrush, cell phone, or laptop computer to name a few. There is a similarity among most of these pieces of technology, nickel. Nickel is used in batteries, in alloys, and as plating material, frequently cladding our everyday electronics. However, with a surge in personal electronic uses, a common trend is emerging, one that has a negative impact on human health.... [tags: Immune system, Hypersensitivity, Allergy, Asthma]
1669 words (4.8 pages)
- There are general rules and concepts that preside over the field of accounting. These general rules, known as basic accounting principles and guidelines, shape the groundwork on which more thorough, complex, and legalistic accounting rules are based. The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) uses the basic accounting principles and guidelines as a foundation for their own comprehensive and complete set of accounting rules and standards. GAAP is exceptionally useful because it attempts to regulate and normalize accounting definitions, assumptions, and methods.... [tags: Accounting]
1219 words (3.5 pages)
- Technology is on a fast track and progresses in some fields take place on a daily basis. This does not exclude the accounting sector, where things are not as simple as keeping books to show profit, loss and the balance in the bank. Financial accounting systems have evolved rapidly over the past decade as companies grapple with the challenges of compressed business cycles, rising customer demand and a globalized, expanding customer base. The accounting community is a highly competitive one and in combination with technology things are changing in a very fast pace.... [tags: Business Accounting]
715 words (2 pages)
- The Financial Accounting Standards Board is board of seven independent members who are accounting professionals that was developed in 1973. This seven member group is responsible for communicating the standards that are in place for financial accounting and reporting that takes place in the United States. Generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) are the standards that are used by the FASB to govern the way in which corporations prepare their financial reports. This process of utilizing these standards to maintain and report accounting files is the only method that the US Securities and Exchange Commission will accept.... [tags: Business Accounting Finance]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- According to the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, T-Shirts by Tommy can account for the accident is to record an extraordinary item. Using the definition from our Intermediate Accounting textbook, extraordinary events are defined as, " events and transactions that are distinguished by their unusual nature and by the infrequency of their occurrence" (Keiso). Because of the nature of the plane crash, and the fact that these types of accidents happen very rarely, it can definitely be categorized as extraordinary.... [tags: Business Analysis Accounting Finance]
1607 words (4.6 pages)