Also, social media can often feel like a popularity contest. Who can get the most likes or the largest amount of comments almost becomes more important than being good at a job. Nurses have to be especially careful with their use of social media, at home and at work. Nurses not taking to time to think about the possibility of a breach of privacy, or a leak of personal feelings before they post a picture or comment on social media has resulted in reprimands and termination of employment. Statistics show that forty percent of nurses say a colleague has inappropriately criticized or posted details of patients or colleagues on social media sites (Hasley). Nurses using social media at work if not done right can lead to mismanagement of patient records, distractions from patient care, and accidental revealing of personal feelings towards co-workers and patients.
Social media is becoming the go to form of communication within professional or personal company these days. Often people will admit they would much rather tweet or Facebook you than they would prefer to talk pers...
... middle of paper ...
... be set up by groups, organizations, and businesses. They can be completely separate from an individual’s personal Facebook page. Instead of ‘friends,’ a professional or organizational Facebook page has ‘fans’ or users who ‘like’ the page. This is an important distinction in the use of social media by healthcare professionals concerned with privacy or boundary issues. Twitter is considered a micro-blogging platform which means entries are limited to 140 characters. Twitter is the fastest growing social media platform because of its versatility and ability to quickly hyperlink to external sources of information. Again, individuals can have both a personal and a professional or organizational Twitter account. Both Facebook and Twitter are free applications, as are most social media tools, enabling a larger sector of the general public to be able to access these tools.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Michael, Thank you so much for your contribution to this discussion. I really enjoyed your thread. I believe you have hit on a hot topic, in the area of social media. Social media can be a very positive tool in communication with others but it can also be a very easy tool to break down communication in an indirect fashion. Sadly, there are so many people that live life through social media and their image that is portrayed in that arena. I have experienced these issues re-entering the workforce this year, I was a stay-at-home mom, full-time student for 5 years and returned to the work force in February.... [tags: Job satisfaction, Employment, Organization]
1549 words (4.4 pages)
- ... This continual social isolation in and out of the workplace can cause high levels of distress (A Rise). There was a study done by Dr. Christine Sprigg, Dr. Carolyn Axtell and Sam Farley of the University of Sheffield and Dr. Iain Coyne of Nottingham University that asked workers about their experiences with cyber-bullying in the workplace. It was reported that out of the “320 people who responded to the survey, around eight out of ten had experienced [cyber-bullying] on at least one occasion in the previous six months.... [tags: policy, social, media, health, statistics]
2091 words (6 pages)
- In today’s society, social media has become such a big part of our daily lives, affecting not only our “social” lives, but our works lives as well. Social media in the workplace can be a valuable tool for businesses but it can also cause serious problems on the job. Employers are faced with the need to develop social media policies that allow the company to secure the positive benefits of social media use while minimizing the negative effects. Problems occur when employees abuse the ability to have Internet access for personal use during work hours, post inappropriate things which negatively affects their online presence, or issues can easily arise in the hiring process.... [tags: Employment, Social media, Working time, Facebook]
2133 words (6.1 pages)
- Social Media are computer-mediated tools that allow people to create,share or exchange information,ideas,and pictures and videos in virtual communities and Networks.(Social Media Definition-Wikipedia the free encyclopedia).Social Media is social instrument of communication that will give information simply by asking,giving comments or recommending of other people with similar interests.This is use by giving your thoughts and the ability to communicate positively or negatively.Examples of Social Media sites are Facebook,My Space,Twitter,Bebo,and Linked-In.For a fast paced technological world,Social Media has a big part of our digital lives.It is the starting point to penetrate in every aspe... [tags: Employment, Social media, Facebook]
1416 words (4 pages)
- Social Media and How It Negatively Effects to People Who Use It. A decade ago, Facebook was launched at Harvard University and became a huge success after it was opened to the public. Later on, other social media websites like Twitter, Google+, Instagram, YouTube, and Tumblr would also become very successful as these websites owned the most used numbers daily or registered users than any other social media web on the internet. Nowadays almost every person on this planet uses social media sites to communicate with others.... [tags: Social media, Social network service, Facebook]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- Social media has increasingly canvassed daily lives of the populace in a way even Nostradamus could not have predicted. People are glued to social media throughout the day in a manner that can only be described as an addiction. Social media started out as a social connection with friends and family, however it has evolved as a source of daily gossip, relationships, everyday news, career advancement, and just ‘plain killing time’. The affects of social media in our lives are quite profound. Due to constant urge of checking status online, it has become a big distraction and an addiction for many folks.... [tags: Employment, Sociology, Social media]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Social media is everywhere and very popular all over the world. Social media is used on computers, tablets, smartphones, etc and along with the use of social media there are privacy issues that come along with it. Social media is part of everyone’s life and is hard to give up. Even though we might not think there is isn’t anything wrong with it, there is which comes down to our privacy. Our privacy is being invaded when using these popular networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc.... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, Social media]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- Employers have to be aware of the many types of social media platforms and their uses. The main types of social media platform functions are listed in the table above and have few examples to give an idea of the many different ways social media is used. When searching out employees and potential employees social media sites, employers must be aware that there is a vast amount of sites that are available to people to use to express themselves. The majority of social media sites today connect to one another, once an employer finds one the employees’ social media profiles, it is often easy to connect to the myriad other accounts and profiles.... [tags: Employment, Social media, Bullying]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- The Negative Most Think that social media doesn’t have any negative sides. When you think of social media what do you think of. People who use social media don 't think about how it can beneficial or not. how about this if you asked your self what would it be like to not have social media. would you benefit from it or would you need it. Most importantly this paper is to inform the reader whether or not it’s inserting. Let start with this question, What is social media. A form of electronic communication (as Web sites and social networking) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos).... [tags: Facebook, Social media, Social network service]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
- Workplace Violence Workplace violence is a phenomenon that is now widely recognized as a social problem, which impacts all organizations. "According to Department of Justice statistics for 1995, 21% of all violent crime occurred while the victim was either at work or traveling to or from work. Workplace Violence accounted for more than two (2) million violent Crimes annually from 1992-1997" (Kaufer 1-2). In this research paper I will provide an overview of workplace violence and furnish Examples of the effect and costs, as it affect the workplace.... [tags: Workplace Health and Safety]
1039 words (3 pages)