Social media affects teens mentally and socially. 70% of teenagers use social media daily. That is over half of teens. People use media in use of harm quite often. Impersonating is a good example. People may say they are someone they aren’t over social media to get friends, or just to have someone to talk to. Quite frankly, many do not know the harm this can cause. Many adolescents communicate with grown-ups online, without letting their parents know. In an article warning parents and teens about the harm of social media, it states “Today, children routinely divulge information about themselves across the web”. (Whitaker) Child sexual exploitation happens in every social, ethnic, and religious group. Pedophiles and other sexual predators can use the Internet without any precautions and change their name, profile picture, bio, etc. This makes it harder to get caught doing such a bad thing, such as this. Being hidden behind a screen with a name that is anonymous, it is easy to gather information online and swap child pornography quicker than we could even imagine. This gives them even more of a thrill. On the Internet, they sometimes discuss ways to contact certain children, and discuss ways of seducing them, and give techniques. Technology is a main use of encouragement to see each other act out. Parents have no idea what their kids are doing while on the Internet. They need to be more aware of what is happening on the Internet, and inform their child also. I believe parents should have conversations with their kids about Internet safety, before they start using it. Many parents block websites, so the children won’t be allowed on it. Until they reach a certain age, where they are mature enough to k...
... middle of paper ...
... before jumping to conclusions, working together will help more also. Ask for their opinion on the situation. Inform them that if they keep on with the small things, it will eventually get worse (if it hasn’t already). This may mean to go to the cyber-bullies parents, or first trying to figure out who they are exactly.
Only 10% of students confine in their parents when being cyber-bullied. If a student wants to talk about his or her problems, let them open up and listen with wide ears.
Some ways to stop cyber bullying is to not reply. If someone throws false information at you, and you know it is false, do not respond. Do the smart thing, and keep your information confidential. If you have a photo or message you do not want to get out to the public, do not talk about it or post it on social networks. The best way to stop things like this is to stay away from it.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- From "thintastic" blogs to suicide stories, social media has become not only a source of conversation but a gateway to harmful suggestions that many teenagers see and believe to be allowable, when in fact the situations proposed are dangerous to those who attempt them. Statistics show that 20% of anorexic teenagers will die prematurely, and 80% of teenagers who commit suicide are depressed (South). Social media has glorified and brought to attention eating disorders, depression, and suicide among teens that might otherwise not become a statistic in these critical categories.... [tags: social media, tumblr, cyber bullying]
1037 words (3 pages)
- Negative Affects of Social Media Social media affects teens mentally and socially. 70% of teenagers use social media daily. That is over half of teens. People use media in use of harm quite often. Impersonating is a good example. People may say they are someone they aren’t over social media to get friends, or just to have someone to talk to. Quite frankly, many do not know the harm this can cause. Many adolescents communicate with grown-ups online, without letting their parents know. In an article warning parents and teens about the harm of social media, it states “Today, children routinely divulge information about themselves across the web”.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Cyber-bullying, Humiliation]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- What Effects do Social Media Sites Have on Teens. Get off your phone. I always hear this phrase almost everywhere I go, and for the most part coming from my parents. In today’s society and mainly focused on my generation is how much time us teens/young adults spend a day on social networking sites. Teens are “glued” to the phone screens and are always keeping up-to-date with what’s happening with all their friends or around the world. Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter are some of the top social media sites that everyone uses.... [tags: Twitter, Social network service, Facebook]
1567 words (4.5 pages)
- The use of social media (which includes such media as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr) has become so popular among today’s youth, that it is becoming more than just a fragment of the youth’s world, it is becoming their world. According to a social network statistics report conducted on August 18, 2013, ninety-eight percent of teens are already using some form of social media. Teens are spending more and more time online, typically on a social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter.... [tags: Internet, Social Medias, Teens]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- The rapid evolution of the internet in recent years has brought about many exciting changes and features, but many negative side effects have evolved as well. Nearly all young people with internet access will use some type of social media to some extent, but how does this impact them. Social media can be an incredibly powerful tool, but the negative aspects can pose risks in many situations. The use of social media should be encouraged, especially among college students, but since there are negative side effects to social media, better education of how to make use of the benefits and avoid the negative aspects should be in place.... [tags: Social media, Internet, Twitter, Facebook]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- One in four people worldwide use social media. Social media is made up of websites and applications used for sharing content and interacting with people. It is a source of communication for connecting with relatives to complete strangers around the world. Social media sites are used on a daily basis globally. Social media engages users to share, communicate, collaborate and advertise. Social media has many positive effects on people’s lives. Social media has pathways were people can connect with their loved ones and meet new acquaintances.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Facebook]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- Do you remember when the term “social media,” meant sitting on the porch with your friends talking about the day’s events. Whether we like it or not, social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and internet blogs are here to stay. These sites offer children and adolescents a doorway into social networking, gaming, and entertainment more than ever before. Social media website use is one of the fastest growing and most common daily activities among today’s children. Facebook now has over 7.5 million American kids under the age of 13 with open accounts (Clinton & Steyer, 2012).... [tags: Social media, Sociology, Facebook, Adolescence]
1318 words (3.8 pages)
- Social Media has had a lot of impact on our society; negative and positive. Social media websites are some of the most popular stomping grounds on the Internet and have revolutionized the way people communicate and socialize on the Web. While there are many exciting improvements in technology and social media, research has shown that heavy Internet usage has an impact on our mental health. Social media can be a great thing for a person or business trying to advertise themselves but it is important that users are careful with how often they use these sites.... [tags: Social media, Internet, Social network service]
1579 words (4.5 pages)
- All of the information used in this essay is from the article "Social Media" on Wikipedia other outside sources includeScienceDaily.com, WordPress.com, and Letstalkaboutinformationtechnology.com. How many times have you heard follow me on Twitter. Or add me on Facebook. Although social media is a great tool in promoting businesses and build on relationships, it can also have very negative effects on us mentally. Social media can cause us to lose our sense of concentration. It can also create false presumptions of what happiness is based on a fake reality.... [tags: Social media, Twitter, A Great Way to Care]
1385 words (4 pages)
- According to the Webster Dictionary, social media is defined as “forms of electronic communication through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content.” No matter if social media is making people vulnerable or helping the children communicate, social media is affecting the youth for the good and for the bad. It’s starting to become a controversial subject. In this generation social media is taking an uprise and seems to have become a popular trend.... [tags: Social media, Facebook, MySpace]
1618 words (4.6 pages)