Social media has grown to become a norm in society today. Everyone from young children to elderly persons is using some form of social media. The short essays, “Douse the Online Flames” by Andrew Keen. “Virtual Companionship” by Jeremy Rifkin. “Why Twitter Will Endure” by David Carr. “What Adolescents Miss When We Let Them Grow Up in Cyberspace” by Brent Staples. Last, “Virtual Friendship and the New Narcissism” by Christine Rosen. These essays are arguing the negative effects that social media has on people. Social media can be great ways to meet new people from all walks of the Earth. It does have a negative aspect of many people, especially teenagers. Social media decreases one of the most vital developments of human beings social skills.
Just about everyone uses social media. Particularly to keep in touch with family and friends, or to post on discussion boards. Tragedies occur daily from the use of social media. The fact some people use it to bully others online which is cyber-bullying. Not a lot of persons are aware of the dangers that can occur from the use of social media. Andrew Keen, the author of “Douse the Online Flames”. Expressed his views on the negative aspects of social media and why people should be careful. He discussed the popular notorious case about cyber-bullying. This case led many schools to discuss the severity of cyber-bullying. Megan Meier, a 13-year-old girl from a suburb of St. Louis, committed suicide in 2006. Meir had an internet friendship with a boy named “Josh. He turned out to be her 47-year-old neighbor Lori Drew. Drew posed as this boy told her that “the world would be a better place without you”. Leading to Megan committing suicide. The neighbor was never charged. This ...
... middle of paper ...
...who isolate themselves may start to lose the friends. They have because they don’t speak much anymore. Rosen quotes Researcher Rob Nyland at Brigham University, “As individuals use social networking more entertainment, their level of social involvement decreases” (408). Friendships that a lot of users of social networking sites have built over the years fall apart. The constant use of the net, and lack of social skills.
In conclusion, social skills are essential to human beings, especially children going into adolescence. There are a lot of different negative aspects of why people should be careful of social media. Even if it may be a wonderful advancement in most cultures. Some of these may not be as critical as the other but still are significant to developing children. People need to be aware of the severity of social networking and the role it plays in society.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- One in four people worldwide use social media. Social media is made up of websites and applications used for sharing content and interacting with people. It is a source of communication for connecting with relatives to complete strangers around the world. Social media sites are used on a daily basis globally. Social media engages users to share, communicate, collaborate and advertise. Social media has many positive effects on people’s lives. Social media has pathways were people can connect with their loved ones and meet new acquaintances.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Facebook]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- Social networking is very common these days and has enormous effects and influence over the lives of many people worldwide. The use of social networking sites has both positive and negative impact. Many people, especially young adults are addicted to social media such as Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, and other social networking sites. There are many people who believe that social media causes more unhappiness and stress than happiness. On the other hand, there are a lot of people who believe that social media is causing more happiness than stress.... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, Twitter]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- Friend:Unfriend Having many friendships on different social media platforms has many benefits that can help someone in life. In todays American society a person puts value on how many friends or followers they have on social media accounts but all of those followers can have a negative effect on the person. These negative effects include affecting how a person thinks of themselves in society and how they perceive themselves. However having all of these followers on social media also has many positive effects for a person such as staying in touch or giving another person an opportunity.... [tags: Person, Culture, People, Emotion]
1421 words (4.1 pages)
- Today, social media feels like it has been around forever, but it’s only been a little over a decade. Many companies grow their organizations using social media. There is so much involved that many don’t realize the effect it has on an organization. Learning how different people use social media can have a positive effect on business when it comes to customer interaction, timeliness of responses, and promotions. The very first social media site was called Six Degrees and was invented in 1997 (The History of Social Media, 2015).... [tags: Social media, Communication, Facebook, Twitter]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- All of the information used in this essay is from the article "Social Media" on Wikipedia other outside sources includeScienceDaily.com, WordPress.com, and Letstalkaboutinformationtechnology.com. How many times have you heard follow me on Twitter. Or add me on Facebook. Although social media is a great tool in promoting businesses and build on relationships, it can also have very negative effects on us mentally. Social media can cause us to lose our sense of concentration. It can also create false presumptions of what happiness is based on a fake reality.... [tags: Social media, Twitter, A Great Way to Care]
1385 words (4 pages)
- How People Live Their Life Through Social Media and Not the ‘Real World’ Social media has gained worldwide growth and popularity which has led to a lot of people researching this subject and how they live their life through social media and not in the real world. Although all generations have come to embrace the changes social network has brought to society, teenagers and young adults are the ones who make most use of these sites. According to various research studies in the subject of social media, it has been revealed that these sites are impacting the lives of society greatly.... [tags: Social media, Sociology, Twitter]
1476 words (4.2 pages)
- The effects of the social media on the individuals and the societies has been a remarkable controversial debate over the past decade. In fact, social media has become inseparable part of our lives. It is not a new thing and has various forms. It emerged in the late seventies and the early eighties with the emergence of USENET, Bulletin Board System, AOL, etc. In around 1994, private internet service providers came with new technology revolution in the major cities of the USA. This gave a golden chance to the millions of people to come online and gave them the access to the internet.... [tags: Social media, Social network service, Facebook]
1673 words (4.8 pages)
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parascope, Snapchat, and Linkedin are all a part of the huge trend taking over the world. Social media had become big about ten years ago and keeps growing. Social media is not in just one or two countries yet it is worldwide; people in almost all countries are liking statuses and posting updates and pictures. It was indicated that 73% of adults online, 73% of teens online, and 72% of young adults online use some sort of social media (Fleck and Johnson-Migalski 135).... [tags: Social media, Social network service, Internet]
1938 words (5.5 pages)
- Social Media and How It Negatively Effects to People Who Use It. A decade ago, Facebook was launched at Harvard University and became a huge success after it was opened to the public. Later on, other social media websites like Twitter, Google+, Instagram, YouTube, and Tumblr would also become very successful as these websites owned the most used numbers daily or registered users than any other social media web on the internet. Nowadays almost every person on this planet uses social media sites to communicate with others.... [tags: Social media, Social network service, Facebook]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- What if using a social media platform such as facebook could be harmful to the user. People view social media outlets to be useful and entertaining, but the truth in the matter is that social media outlets are harmful. When people get involved with social media, be it facebook, twitter, instagram or snapchat, they are signing up for a commitment that provides more bad things than good. Once users have latched onto the social media of their choosing, they begin to suffer from multiple things that are directly a result of using the outlet.... [tags: Facebook, Social media, Instant messaging]
1473 words (4.2 pages)