Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Parascope, Snapchat, and Linkedin are all a part of the huge trend taking over the world. Social media had become big about ten years ago and keeps growing. Social media is not in just one or two countries yet it is worldwide; people in almost all countries are liking statuses and posting updates and pictures. It was indicated that 73% of adults online, 73% of teens online, and 72% of young adults online use some sort of social media (Fleck and Johnson-Migalski 135). With social media came many positive and negative effects. People worldwide are addicted to it, spending hours upon hours on the Internet reading about what other people are doing. The United Nations has declared access to the internet to be a human right but some countries have restrictions for internet use, such as China, North Korea, Iran, and Egypt (Gomez-Almaguer, Acosta-Olivo, Garcia-Quintanilla, and Jaime-Perez 69). Social media has so many effects on our lives that were unheard of ten years ago.
What did we do before social media? Most people cannot even remember the time before social media was introduced. Social media has become a big part of our everyday lives and it is hard to think of the world without it now. Nowadays the number of places where the Internet is considered necessary is growing. There are more and more cities implementing public Internet access in zones like parks or squares (Gomez-Almaguer, Acosta-Olivo, Garcia-Quintanilla, and Jaime-Perez 69). Life before social media seemed so much calmer and productive. Nowadays almost everyone has their smartphone in their pocket or sitting on their desk while they are at work. It is so easy to stop your work and grab your phone and look at your Facebook...
... middle of paper ...
...nd can break in and steal your valuables. Criminals do not have to be in the same state or even same country as you are when they steal your information. They can friend you on social media and gain access to your name, birthday, and where you live. From there they can then find out more personal information about you on the Internet and attempt to steal your identity.
There are so many reasons why people worldwide are addicted to the Internet. It can help you to increase your self-esteem, shop without leaving your home and to keep in touch with friends and family. Social media can also allow people to have an escape place, and have access to medical advice to help you stay healthy. With social media becoming so huge in the world came along many positive and negative effects also. Be sure to watch what is posted online to keep your personal information private.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Continuing to daily use social media sites has socially isolated us. It has become common and “normal” for people to be seen constantly on their phones checking the latest news of social media. The attachments to our phones have formed introverted personifications that have changed the way we see relationships. We are dependent on social media sites to stay in touch with our friends, however, we are snooping rather than communicating. It is related to the pressure we feel we need to give into due to the fear of missing out (Fox, & Moreland, 2015, p.... [tags: Social media, Communication, Facebook]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- Introduction Social media around the world has become a new phenomenon, especially in the eyes of teenagers. What the majority of the world does not realize is that social media is not necessarily a positive influence in our lives. A few studies show that approximately “70 percent of teenagers age 12 to 17 spend time on a social media site in a typical day, which amounts to 17 million teenage users” (2011 National Teen Survey). Out of those 17 million teenage users “40 percent [are] more [likely] to use tobacco, three times likely to uses alcohol and twice as likely to use marijuana” (2011 National Teen Survey).... [tags: Social media, Facebook, Adolescence, MySpace]
1558 words (4.5 pages)
- Social media has increasingly canvassed daily lives of the populace in a way even Nostradamus could not have predicted. People are glued to social media throughout the day in a manner that can only be described as an addiction. Social media started out as a social connection with friends and family, however it has evolved as a source of daily gossip, relationships, everyday news, career advancement, and just ‘plain killing time’. The affects of social media in our lives are quite profound. Due to constant urge of checking status online, it has become a big distraction and an addiction for many folks.... [tags: Employment, Sociology, Social media]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Majority of us can sit for hours on any giving hand held technology playing games, chatting and other social activities without ever meeting or having direct interactions with them which in some case is a good thing. The problem arise when this changes and we are left with where to go but be out and socialize with a group of people outside our normal comfort zone e.g.; our home. Using teenagers for example, finds it hard to fit into social event because they spend most of their time texting and using emoticons to express their feelings without ever altering a word.... [tags: Sociology, Emotion, Family, Social media]
901 words (2.6 pages)
- Social media has been a big part of our lives since the internet started gaining power in the last years. The thirst for communication has always been part of the necessity, and it is of pivotal importance that we center our attention to the social media and to its consequences. For that reason and many more, I am quite interested about searching through various sources (articles and acquaintances) with the intention to go deeper into the technology and its advantages or even destructive effects in the students’ lives.... [tags: Communication, Writing, Mass media, Student]
939 words (2.7 pages)
- Social media is something that has become quite prevalent in the lives of almost all. It can portray itself in many different forms. Some of the most common are Facebook and Instagram. Both are programs that were created to enrich the lives of the users, and to further connect them with the world around them. Sadly, this is not always the case of what role they play in the life of the everyday person. In my personal life, I have suffered directly from the harsh effects that social media can play.... [tags: Family, Mother, Social media, Self-esteem]
1256 words (3.6 pages)
- One in four people worldwide use social media. Social media is made up of websites and applications used for sharing content and interacting with people. It is a source of communication for connecting with relatives to complete strangers around the world. Social media sites are used on a daily basis globally. Social media engages users to share, communicate, collaborate and advertise. Social media has many positive effects on people’s lives. Social media has pathways were people can connect with their loved ones and meet new acquaintances.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Facebook]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- Social media these days is very popular all over the world and has rapidly increased over the past few years. It is computer-mediated tools that let people interact with each others by creating, sharing, and exchanging their information and ideas in virtual communities and social networks. The most popular social media sites are Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. People spend on social media every day to communicate, sharing their social life and meeting new people. Although social media is a useful tool for individual and society to connecting and , it still affects our daily life because it has many negative and dangerous effects such as waste of time, communication distracting, ph... [tags: Facebook, MySpace, Social network aggregation]
1190 words (3.4 pages)
- Today we live in the era of Social Media. Children are growing up surrounded by mobile devices and interactive social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, which have made the social media a vital aspect of their lives and it seems that they cannot live a day without posting something on the internet. The other day I was in a park with the kids I take care of and I remembered hearing some moms discussing how their children are now being notified if their soccer practice or dance class is cancelled or modified by their coaches on the teams “twitter account”.... [tags: Social network service, Twitter, Facebook]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Social media although a great tool can become an addiction ultimately affecting our lives and state of mind. That is why we need to limit the amount of time and information we share on social networks. Although the internet is a tool full of good and bad available to everyone, teenagers and young adults are more prone to falling into the traps of the internet. People also abuse social media and overuse it every day because they are concerned with what is happening every hour. Social media is a tool not a necessity and should never be abused or used as a diary because it could result in unwanted consequences that can hurt us in the future.... [tags: Social media, Sociology]
2194 words (6.3 pages)