The very first social media site was called Six Degrees and was invented in 1997 (The History of Social Media, 2015). The site allowed people to create a profile and friend one another which is similar to MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, and many more. As the internet developed, people became more familiar with it and began posting videos of themselves, particularly musicians. This helped get awareness out and people could comment on the videos. Businesses began to take notice and created a social media pages of their own.
Social media is everywhere. Customers involved in social media can access their site almost anywhere. Most people have cell phones, computers, or tablets that they take anywhere they go. In the article Social Media and Interpersonal Communication, people today would rather e-mail that meet and would rather text than talk on the phone (2013) The article continues to discuss how social media effects our ability to communicate. People have their heads in their phones. They aren’t reading the daily newspaper like they used to. Businesses can and do take advantage of this. Having a business site using Facebook, hashtags, or even ads that can be made public through the social media site will help the business gain public awareness. “Social media is one of those things where at this point, you have no choice but to...
... middle of paper ...
...ge Facebook fan pages, 50 percent use YouTube channels, and 33 percent maintain corporate blogs” (Guffey & Lowey, 2015). It isn’t the customer that needs to learn new ways of communicating but the business. When a customer feels important and interaction is occurring, it will help the business. When the business knows how and when to use social media, and how to reach the target market, they will gain opportunities they never knew existed. Lastly, when the business uses social media to promote their specials, everyone wins. The customers win because they are getting a good deal, they are shopping with their favorite stores and they can share the posting with others. The business wins because it is free marketing and they will earn higher profits when they are reaching millions of customers. Social media is one of the newest and greatest form of communicating today.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Michael, Thank you so much for your contribution to this discussion. I really enjoyed your thread. I believe you have hit on a hot topic, in the area of social media. Social media can be a very positive tool in communication with others but it can also be a very easy tool to break down communication in an indirect fashion. Sadly, there are so many people that live life through social media and their image that is portrayed in that arena. I have experienced these issues re-entering the workforce this year, I was a stay-at-home mom, full-time student for 5 years and returned to the work force in February.... [tags: Job satisfaction, Employment, Organization]
1549 words (4.4 pages)
- The use of social media in sports is a relatively new trend. Social media has enabled people to become more interactive with their favorite celebrities, athletes, and sports teams. Social media allows fan’s to keep up with their favorite teams with up to date news and it also helps the organization, specifically their marketing department. Sports teams have utilized Facebook and Twitter pages for their organizations in hopes of gaining revenue as well as the attention of their fans and casual fans.... [tags: Social media, Twitter, Fan, Professional sports]
1335 words (3.8 pages)
- The rapid evolution of the internet in recent years has brought about many exciting changes and features, but many negative side effects have evolved as well. Nearly all young people with internet access will use some type of social media to some extent, but how does this impact them. Social media can be an incredibly powerful tool, but the negative aspects can pose risks in many situations. The use of social media should be encouraged, especially among college students, but since there are negative side effects to social media, better education of how to make use of the benefits and avoid the negative aspects should be in place.... [tags: Social media, Internet, Twitter, Facebook]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- Social media has increasingly canvassed daily lives of the populace in a way even Nostradamus could not have predicted. People are glued to social media throughout the day in a manner that can only be described as an addiction. Social media started out as a social connection with friends and family, however it has evolved as a source of daily gossip, relationships, everyday news, career advancement, and just ‘plain killing time’. The affects of social media in our lives are quite profound. Due to constant urge of checking status online, it has become a big distraction and an addiction for many folks.... [tags: Employment, Sociology, Social media]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Introduction Technology has transformed the world as we know it and our lives at present are considerably different than our ancestors. The use of electronic devices and especially with combination of internet has become almost a necessity. Over the past decade, internet usage has been significantly influenced by the use of social media and it radically transformed the use of internet. Understanding the impact of social media on personal, social and also institutional level can utilize it efficiently.... [tags: Social Media Marketing]
1313 words (3.8 pages)
- Employers have to be aware of the many types of social media platforms and their uses. The main types of social media platform functions are listed in the table above and have few examples to give an idea of the many different ways social media is used. When searching out employees and potential employees social media sites, employers must be aware that there is a vast amount of sites that are available to people to use to express themselves. The majority of social media sites today connect to one another, once an employer finds one the employees’ social media profiles, it is often easy to connect to the myriad other accounts and profiles.... [tags: Employment, Social media, Bullying]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- As social media overtakes traditional media in this new technological age, news organizations and journals have sought to keep up today’s trends in order to maximize their revenue and maintain traffic. As Clive Thompson stated in his article titled This Just In : I’m Twittering, he mentions that “the power is in the surprising effects that come from receiving thousands of pings from your posse. And this, as it turns out, suggests where the Web is heading.” News environments are rapidly changing to adapt with the diffusion of social media in order to promote their news products and reach to more people than ever before.... [tags: Social media, Facebook, Twitter]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- Social media, or web 2.0 began as an Internet based computer application or user-generated application that facilitates the use of social networks by connecting personal or business profiles with those of other individuals or companies. Social media allows people and businesses to share and exchange information, offer ideas, and promote products in virtual communities and networks. Today, social media consists of many social media platforms all serving similar but slightly different purposes. While some social media platforms are more popular than others, they all serve a purpose and cater to various demographics of people with different interests (Hein 2014, Nicol 2012 & Paus 2013).... [tags: Social media, Social network service, Facebook]
1365 words (3.9 pages)
- Social Media: Tweet, Like, Share Audience: Millennial Generation Purpose: To convince my audience that social media can have many negative effects, particularly when used too often. However, my position also acknowledges that there are some positive effects of social media. Think about how much time you spend updating your Facebook status, sending out tweets, or watching YouTube videos each day. Social media is a great way for people to connect with friends, family, and even strangers from all over the globe.... [tags: Social media, Social media marketing, Mass media]
1850 words (5.3 pages)
- 1. Abzari, M., Ghassemi, R. A., & Vosta, L. N. (2014). Analyzing the effect of social media on brand attitude and purchase intention: The case of Iran Khodro company. Procedia - Social and Behavior Sciences, 143, 822-826. This paper focus on the effect of social media advertising on brand attitude and consumer purchase intention. Further, the influence of traditional advertising on brand attitude would be investigated as well to compare with the effect of social media advertising. A survey is developed and distributed to the customers of Iran Khodro company in Tehran, Iran.... [tags: Brand, Advertising, Marketing, Social media]
1425 words (4.1 pages)