The cost of smoking is not very expensive per pack but when buying a pack per day it can add up to thousands. The average cost of a pack of cigarettes is 5.51; However, Missouri’s and Virginia’s average cost is the lowest at 5.25 per pack while New York’s is the highest at 12.25 per pack. If a person smokes a pack a day for 20 years they will end up spending anywhere from 38,220 to 93,548. This amount of money could be a down payment for a house, a car, a college degree, and the list goes on. The cost of smoking goes beyond the unit price of a pack, it also includes the cost of health care. Smoking cigarettes has an extreme effect on the tax payers and health care system. In an up to date questionnaire, analyst came up with a calculation that suggest 8.7 percent, which is 170 billion dollars, of all health care expenses is for sickness or diseases caused by smoking cigarettes (Kennedy). S...
... middle of paper ...
...o ahead and quit and save them self the cost now and later. Smoking also causes premature wrinkling and sometimes tooth loss. Who wants to be only 40 years old but appear 15 years older and be toothless? The thought of dying a painful death from a smoking related disease, such as COPD, should be enough for a smoker to quit smoking. On top of COPD, 70 of the thousands of harmful chemicals found in smoke from tobacco is related to cause lung cancer. Smoker’s sometimes don’t quit because the withdrawal from nicotine is very difficult to withstand, but with difficulties come victories. Quitting cigarettes has so many benefits to the health of your body, within 20 minutes a smoker can start to feel their hands and feet warming up again. . American’s need to drop the bad habit of smoking because of the cost and also, the effect of one’s appearance, health, and future.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Smoking Cigarettes Effects Walking the streets of Baltimore, the smell of cigarettes was everywhere. I sat at the bus stop and this homeless guy was asking for change while smoking a cigarette. I looked at him and didn’t feel any remorse because he was smoking. I imagined giving him money I had then he will spend it on cigarettes and that will be a waste of my money. I got up and moves about ten feet away from the second hand smoke but then saw a guy selling cigarettes. He has a pack of cigarettes and he is selling two cigarettes for a dollar.... [tags: Smoking, Tobacco, Tobacco smoking, Cigarette]
1318 words (3.8 pages)
- Through some primary research it was gratifying to see the strides the American Legacy Foundation has made over the past fifteen year with encouraging the youth to not smoke and smokers to stop smoking. With over fourteen million documents from major tobacco companies concerning manufacturing, advertising, marketing, sales, and scientific research the company has nicely extrapolated the right information to make people think twice about smoking. On the contrary, the cigarette industry has adopted a second child that is electronic.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Tobacco smoking]
2081 words (5.9 pages)
- The American Heart Association reported that smoking tobacco cigarettes cost the United States economy 289 billion dollars annually (Electronic cigarettes-the Primary Cares Provider’s Response). Now imagine if that 289 billion dollars could be reduced even a fraction by people quitting smoking through the use of an electronic cigarette. Electronic cigarettes, also known as electronic cigarettes, have many positive and negative benefits and can be a positive step in the right direction for people who want to quit smoking.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Cigarette]
1341 words (3.8 pages)
- Smoking no more Death is one of the things in life you simply cannot avoid and there are ways, through the advancement of technology that can make people live longer. But there are also things that can cause human lives to become shorter and one of the biggest cause is cigarettes. Cigarettes contributes to over 500,000 deaths in the United States from smoking related illnesses. Considering the harmful effects of cigarettes, they should be made illegal in the United States due to the addiction of cigarettes, it’s a danger to the environment.... [tags: Smoking, Nicotine, Lung cancer, Tobacco]
804 words (2.3 pages)
- Tobacco has been around for centuries today we have many different ways to inhale tobacco. Cigarettes and vaping are the two most popular ways people are inhaling tobacco in today 's day and age. Even though cigarettes have been around for many decades, vaping has become a new sensation. Although the majority of the masses are switching from cigarettes to vaping, many are still set in their ways with an old fashion stog (cigarette). Since the studies of vaping are the bare minimal compared to the studies of smoking cigarettes, we still don 't know the long term effects vaping has on the body.... [tags: Tobacco, Nicotine, Tobacco smoking, Smoking]
815 words (2.3 pages)
- Throughout the course of their life, people are faced with large and small obstacles. Some of the obstacles an individual overcomes with minimal effort but to overcome others require willpower and maximum effort. One of these problem is smoking. Smoking man grabs a cigarette in any stressful situation, like a drowning man grips a straw, believing that cigarette he smokes will give him confidence, peace of mind, and help on finding the answer to a difficult situation. But this is misleading. The man himself has to deal with difficulties, not to solve hics problems with the help of a piece of paper stuffed with tobacco.... [tags: Smoking, Nicotine, Cigarette, Tobacco]
1506 words (4.3 pages)
- The Effects of Smoking Introduction Smoking cigarettes damage the body in a number of different ways. Over several years, the American Council on Science and Health and many others have documented the effects of smoking. Everyone knows that it is bad for you, but not many know how it affects the body. There are many myths about smoking, which mainly occur with all of the teens that are smoking. Most teens don’t know that the effects of smoking are mostly permanent. They think that they can smoke for a few years and then quit without suffering any long-term effects.... [tags: Cause Effect Research Cigarettes Essays]
1428 words (4.1 pages)
- A study done by the Center of Disease Control found that cigarette smoke causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States ("Health Effects of Cigarette Smoking.") Cigarette smoking not only affects the smoker, but the others around the smoker as well. Many harmful substances are used as ingredients in cigarettes that have been known to cause many diseases. Medical conditions caused by smoking affect family finances, as well as cost the government and taxpayers a large amount of money through government assisted medical coverage as well as.... [tags: Smoking, Tobacco, Nicotine, Tobacco smoking]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- Jude Obiefule PHIL 109 5/1/2015 Should Smoking Cigarettes be Banned. What are in cigarettes in today’s society. According to the American lung association, “There are roughly 600 ingredients in cigarettes today,” and most of them are not listed on each cigarette box. When a person lights up a cigarette, it create about 7,000 different chemicals. Many of these chemicals are poisonous to our health and 70 of those chemicals are cancer causing. Several of these chemicals are found in consumer products that have warning labels on them saying to contact a doctor if ingested.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Tobacco smoking]
1405 words (4 pages)
- The History of Tobacco In 3000 B.C the Ancient Egyptians burnt sweet herbs and frankincense when sacrificing to their gods. This was the beginning of smoking. Then in the beginning of the Christian era smoke was inhaled through the burning fur of a hare, the diagnoses for epilepsy was the inhalation of smoke from a goat's horn and for consumption, smoke inhaled through a reed of dried dung of an ox. Somewhere in the United States was believed to be the birthplace of tobacco, a plant of the genus Nicotiana.... [tags: Nicotine Cigarettes Tobacco]
1617 words (4.6 pages)