Porcine Stress Syndrome (PSS) has been of major concern to the animal industry for over fifty years and continues to be an issue for swine production. The PSS trait is inherited in a recessive manner, allowing for the possibility of many animals being carriers despite not expressing phenotypic traits. Animals presenting PSS characteristics are typically associated with being heavily muscled, escalated levels of nervousness, and results in sudden deaths. These animals are extremely sensitive to stressful situations such as changes in their environment, and will respond with muscle rigidity, intensive breathing, and raised body temperatures. Unfortunately this is a rapidly progressing syndrome and not much can be done to help save the affected pigs. In terms of meat quality Porcine Stress Syndrome can have devastating impacts on production seeing as most PSS swine will produce pale, soft, and exudative meat, also known as PSE meat. Though it is not a guarantee that a PSS hog will produce PSE meat, there is a great enough of chance to be of concern to pork producers. The effects of PSS, both in terms of the health of the pigs and of the meat quality, is quite important to the swine industry. The syndrome can cost producers large sums of money, only to have the possibility that the meat will be subpar.
PSS has been of concern since the early 1960s and continues to be an issue. However, with knowledge of genetics and Porcine Stress Syndrome increasing, control of PSS has improve and hopefully will one day be eradicated.
When it comes to livestock production, the goal is producing healthy animals while maximizing profit. Any animal that is not healthy, has any kind of health issues or does not reac...
... middle of paper ...
...na and Pietran. If one still want to use these breeds it is recommended to have the potential parents DNA tested to see if they carry the gene. In this instance that a sow is a carrier of the gene it is proposed that one have the boar, from which semes in being used, tested as well. It is important to understand that in the situation of breeding two animals that are both carriers of the PSS gene there will be a 50% chance that the offspring will carry the gene, 25% chance that offspring will express the gene, and 25% chance that offspring will not have the gene. To decrease the incidence of the PSS gene one would need to breed a carrier with a non-carrier or non-carrier with a non-carrier. With the continued practice of breeding non-carriers this will decrease the presence of PSS, hopefully to a point of eradication, and also increase the quality of the carcass.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction: Work-related stress can be one of the worst situations an individual would have to deal during their working careers. Most people probably do not realize they may be suffering from work-related stress and most people actually believe that this stress only happens during work and disappears when you go home which may be true in some cases but there are others that are not as lucky as letting the stress disappear on command. Causes of Work Stress: There are many situations that can cause a worker to become stressed even if you have a passion for your job and get things done, stress can sneak up on any situation.... [tags: Stress, Anxiety, Metabolic syndrome, Stress]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- Everyone has felt the weight of the world coming down on them at some point in their life. Whether they knew it or not this is a symptom of suffering from stress. Throughout this paper I will be discussing stress factors, types of stress, stress disorders and ultimately how to cope with stress. Stress can result in psychological, physiological, and sociological effects. By definition, stress is any uncomfortable "emotional experience accompanied by predictable biochemical, physiological and behavioral changes.”(Baum 1990) There are three levels of stress; acute, episodic, and chronic.... [tags: Posttraumatic stress disorder, Stress]
902 words (2.6 pages)
- Post traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD) is a psychological disorder that is triggered by an event in the sufferer 's life that is too much for them bare mentally and/or emotionally. PTSD causes sufferers to relive the tragic events through flashbacks, memories and nightmares. Those most commonly affected by PTSD are war veterans, first responders, and those who have suffered from physical or emotional abuse. Studies show that about 1 in 3 men and women who have been exposed to a war zone suffer from PTSD.... [tags: Posttraumatic stress disorder]
1696 words (4.8 pages)
- Being in the military I have experienced many different types of situations that has brought different types of stress. Both good and bad. Not only from the military but just from daily life in general such as school, work, finances, and family. I tend to deal with stress pretty well, but everyone handles stress in their own way. Some people become more irritable, some shut down entirely, and some even turn to alcohol and substance abuse to tolerate the stress. Stress is something all living creatures have in common.... [tags: Stress, Anxiety, Fight-or-flight response]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Support System to Post Traumatic Stress disorder Patients in America Post-traumatic stress syndrome is an anxiety disorder that differs from other disorders due to its origin, or traumatic event. The severity, duration, and proximity to the event are some risk factors of the disorder. Post-traumatic stress situations are most associated with war and battle. However, sexual abuse, emergency workers and anyone involved in a catastrophic event can have symptoms relating to post-traumatic stress.... [tags: Posttraumatic stress disorder]
1391 words (4 pages)
- In order to talk about the strategies to cope with stress and the effects stress has on people, we need to know what stress is. Stress is a negative emotional states, happening in responses to events that are are perceived as physically or mentally a person’s ability to cope. There are three types of effects on stress; physical, emotional, and cognitive. The first one I want to discuss about is physical effects of stress. Walter Cannon recognized the endocrine system, which is the system of the glands that is located throughout everyone’s body, that produce hormones into the bloodstream.... [tags: Emotion, Psychology, Richard Lazarus]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- What Is Stress. Stress can be defined in numerous amounts of ways. It’s defined first as a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances. It also can be defined as a strain or tension in one’s life due to material objects or people. All these definitions has one similar thing about them, they all insinuate that stress will put a strain on your life, causing a chain effect of negative consequence’s on your mind and body. Identifying what may be causing you stress is often the first step in learning how to better deal with your stress.... [tags: Anxiety, Stress, Stress]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- The terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 horrified Americans everywhere. Watching friends, family, and countrymen struggle to survive in a way that no one should have to endure. To this day, the events that occurred on September 11th live on in the memories of all that witnessed them. For some, however, the experience lived on. Those who had been in the towers when the planes struck began experiencing nightmares and flashbacks of that fateful day. These people were suffering from Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.... [tags: Stress]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Stress: Causes and Effects Stress is an ongoing dilemma that occurs in each and everyone’s life. It is a factor that is undoubtedly a part of daily living. Due to the trivial problems that occur in people’s daily lives massive amounts of stress can arise. People perceive and manage stress in many different ways. The causes and effects of stress are numerous and one’s ability to manage stress is vital in maintaining healthy living. First, stress is defined as an unpleasant state of emotional and physiological arousal that people experience in situations that they perceive as dangerous or threatening to their well being (Patel, 14).... [tags: Cause Effect Stress Stressful Essays]
786 words (2.2 pages)
- An increasing number of employers are becoming aware of the adverse affects that stress can have on an employee's performance and are offering different programs to help employees manage stress in their lives. This approach is proving to increase workplace performance, as well as improve employee loyalty and retention in the long run. What Causes Stress. Causes and Concerns Stress has been defined as a physiologic reaction to uncomfortable or unaccustomed physical or psychological stimuli. The biological variations that can result from stress of the sympathetic nervous system include a heightened state of alertness, anxiety, rapid heart rate and sweating.... [tags: Effects of Stress in the Workplace]
521 words (1.5 pages)
- Torture Is Effective And If It Violates Human Rights
- Obesity Is Becoming An Epidemic Among Many Young Children
- The Healthcare Setting The Registered Nurse
- An Analysis Of Alice Walker 's Everyday Use
- Being Pregnant Includes Making A Lot Of Important Decisions For You And Your Baby 's Health
- Classical Conditioning And Operant Conditioning