It is a fact that every day, about twenty eight individuals are killed in a motor vehicle crash that involves an alcohol-impaired driver. Children, teenagers, and adults see the dangers everywhere. It is seen in television ads, before school dances, and in driver 's education. One may never know the motive that is driving people to start the car when they are under the influence. Many individuals are affected from this occurrence and their lives will never be the same. Teenagers think drunk driving is a joke, from prior experience, seeing them laugh and joke at the posters or announcements made to not drink and drive. At Redondo Union High School, a suburban Los Angeles school, “with the collaboration of police and fire officials, the school told the teens that the night before, a horrendous drunk-driving car accident had killed one of their classmates and badly injured another”(Garza). The school kept this malicious prank going for the slowest ten minutes of the seniors lives. ...
... middle of paper ...
...changing many individuals perspective on life in a negative manner. It is not healthy for one to wake up every morning just to worry about a drunk driver hitting them. It causes depression, fear, and fury towards the situation they are put in. By choosing to drive while under the influence an individual is signing a contract to put everyone else 's life in danger. One may not realize how friends and family are affected after this dreadful occurrence. An achievable solution to this major problem is that all cars should have a breathalyzer test them in order to start the car because drunk driving is such a problem in today’s society. With this solution drunk driving will never be an issue again. The constant sleepless nights, the aching headaches, and the fear of losing another loved one will not affect individuals any more because of the addition of the breathalyzer.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Drunk driving is a severe offense around the world and if caught driving under the influence severe punishment follows. Taking cold showers or drinking water or strong coffee cannot remove the blood alcohol content in the body. Only time can remove all alcohol from the body. Most people that drive under the influence of alcohol are knowledgeable that they are intoxicated; however, they make themselves believe that they are stable enough to operate a motor vehicle. Many fatalities can be caused by drunk driving, such as becoming a paraplegic or even worse death.... [tags: Drunk driving, Driving under the influence]
1331 words (3.8 pages)
- Drunken Drivers Test Drunk Driving is defined as: Operating a motor vehicle while one 's blood alcohol content is above the legal limit set by statute, which supposedly is the level at which a person cannot drive safely. State statutes define the legal limit to be between .08 and .10 depending on what state you’re in. Every 51 minutes in America, someone is killed in a drunk driving crash(MADD). That equates to 27 people every day. Which comes to a total of at least 9,855 deaths in a year. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 32% of fatal car crashes involve an intoxicated driver or pedestrian (MADD).... [tags: Drunk driving, Driving under the influence]
1072 words (3.1 pages)
- Drunk driving causes more deaths than firearms do. Federal data shows a total of 31,236 firearm related deaths in 2009, and 36,361 vehicle related deaths (Maslar). People are worried about gun safety and how to prevent the wrong people from getting ahold of guns, but people are not doing much to prevent the deaths that drunk driving causes. Countless laws against drunk driving are not being followed. More should be done to prevent drunk driving. The stories of Mark Sterner and my grandfather demonstrate that drunk driving is a serious social problem.... [tags: Automobile, Tram accident, Drunk driving]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- Drunk driving is a hot topic in today’s media, because it is very important not to drink and drive. Traffic accidents are mostly caused by people driving under the influence, between the age of 15 and 29, DUI is one of the main causes of death. Drinking has a bad side effect it could possible damage or even kill a liver The illegal crime may not involve actual driving of the vehicle, but rather may generally include being physically in control of a car while intoxicated even if the person charged is not driving.... [tags: Driving under the influence, Alcoholic beverage]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Now a days everyone is glued to their phones, constantly checking their emails, facebooking, snapchatting and texting. With all the devices people have and interact with on a day to day basis, there seems to be a lack of knowledge on how dangerous these devices really are. A report done by the AAA traffic safety foundation showed that “Each year, more than 80% of drivers in the annual AAA Foundation Traffic Safety Culture Index cite distraction as a serious problem and a behavior that makes them feel less safe on the road.” With the limited hours of free time during the day, people are using driving time to check emails and make phone calls which is inflicting on the safety of everyone aroun... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Drunk driving]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- Cause and Effect Essay on: Drunk Driving Driving a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol is one of the most dangerous things you can do. There is a mass of research evidence to show that driving performance and reaction times are seriously affected by alcohol. Our law in Georgia states, “that it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle if your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) exceeds .10%. Georgia observes a "per se" law. (Craft) If you drink and drive, you are not only a danger to yourself but also to your passenger, other road users and pedestrians.... [tags: Drinking Driving DUI DWI Drink Drive Alcohol]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- There are many reasons why people drink and drive. Many people drive under the influence all the time. Drivers have a responsibility while drinking and driving. Drunk driving is a problem today in the United States. People need to be aware of the consequences it effect on people and realize drinking and driving is an issue and needs to stop. Why not ban alcohol. If it was illegal to drink there would be less drunk drivers. One common consequence of drunk driving is peer influences. People have hard relationships between alcohol consumption and risk of experiencing social consequences.... [tags: Peer Influences, Alcohol, Drugs, Impairments]
1411 words (4 pages)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol has affected and devastated countless people’s lives. Driving under the influence is one of the most dangerous situations you can put yourself or someone else into. The evidence against driving while intoxicated is massive and it has left a long trail of broken dreams and lives. If you drink and drive, not only do you possibly put yourself at risk, but your passengers and pedestrians, and other people on the roads. According to the most recent statistics by the National Commission Against Drunk Driving is that 17, 000 Americans die each year in alcohol-related traffic crashes and 600,000 Americans are injured.... [tags: DUI Drinking Driving Alcohol Essays]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- Nowadays, we can easily purchase alcohol everywhere. There are a lot of retail shops, bars, restaurants for us to buy alcohol. In the developing countries as Vietnam and China, people can purchase alcohol at any age. That’s the opportunity for the industry of alcohol develops and contribute the nation’s income. However, the negative effect of alcohol to security very seriously and it kills the young generations if the government doesn’t offer tough measures . While I was in Vietnam, I often went to restaurants for lunch with colleagues.... [tags: Alcohol, DUI]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- What possesses a person to get behind the drivers’ seat of a car and drive intoxicated. This question is always asked whenever a drunk driver is involved in a drinking and driving incident. Many people drink and drive without thinking about the consequences. The majority of fatal car crashes are caused by alcohol related incidents. Of all traffic fatalities in the United States in 2005, 39% of traffic related accidents were alcohol related (Alcohol Alert, 2006). Driving while intoxicated puts drivers and others lives at risk.... [tags: Alcohol, Drunk Driving, DUI]
1309 words (3.7 pages)