Cell phone distracted driving has become as dangerous as alcohol and speeding resulting in fatal and serious injury crashes. Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said Monday her office will begin mandating cellphone monitoring devices in some texting-while-driving cases prosecuted by her office (Newsday). She further states “Studies by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and other organizations that show driving while texting makes it 23 times more likely that the driver will crash and six times more likely to cause an accident than driving while intoxicated.(Newsday) This is an unbelievable statistic. According to (Distraction) 71% of young adults have said they have sent a message while driving and 78% have said they have read a text while driving. New York State law states that you can’t text and drive and yet people choose to ignore. If you break the law and get caught texting while driving points will be added to your license. Most drivers don’t associate using the phone when driving as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. Many highways have signs that say don’t text and drive it’s the law. There are also signs indicating rest stops so you can pull over and text. There should be more signs: it will help educate the drivers. Another way to point out and drive home the terrible causes of texting and driving is to mandate a 2 hour session where drivers have to listen to stories of victims of accidents as well as watch videos showing the accidents. The worst punishment for anyone would be living with the guilt that you killed someone sending or reading a text that could have waited. What a driver thinks is only a quick second could be a lifetime of sorrow for the family member who lost someone t...
... middle of paper ...
...gn to encourage drivers to put down their phones while driving. They are promoting, “Getting people to use #X and put down their phones in the car is part of AT&T 's campaign "It Can Wait," whose goal is to discourage people from texting while driving, a dangerous distraction linked to thousands of accidents each year.”(CBSNEWS) By texting the #X just before driving will alert family members and friends that you will be unavailable for a while.
I think that we need to continue to find ways to stop texting and driving. Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice is on the right path to preventing distracted driving. Hopefully these percentages should go down. There shouldn’t be any excuse about people losing their lives when they are supposed to be living it. One little thing can you change your life forever so put down the phone it is not worth the five seconds.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Texting and Driving Five seconds is the average time your eyes are off the road while texting. When traveling at 55mph, that 's enough time to cover the length of a football field blindfolded(Olsen, Rebecca L.). In the world we live in today we are constantly trying to keep up with all the social aspects that occur in our lives, teens especially think that it is crucial to send/recive a text or use a cell phone while driving. Every day our roads are introduced to new and inexperienced drivers. Ones that for the first time are getting behind the wheel for the first time without any adult supervision.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, SMS]
1611 words (4.6 pages)
- NAGATIVE IMPACT OF CELL PHONES AND DANGERIOUS OF USING WHILE DRIVING What is cell phone. When did the cell phone come out. Cell phone is the electronic devise that used for services like communicating. Engineer Martin Cooper was the first individual who made first public cell phone in 1993, Later on, Cell phone became the most important tool in our daily life in the modern world. Today society is a cell phone- controlled world, to some degree. Even though it is true that cell phones bring countless conveniences to us, the use of cell phones should be restricted despite their advantages such as maps and communication, because they can cause accidents when used while driving, restrict driver... [tags: Mobile phone, Mobile phone radiation and health]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- Cell Phone Usage While Driving should be Illegal in all States Most drivers experience the urge of picking up the phone to text or to talk while driving on the road. But does the thought of other driver’s lives could be at risk. Driving while talking or texting on the phone is life threatening. States have to put a stop to cell phone usage in order for people to see the possible occurrences of unsafe driving. Some states have already put a stop to cell phones, but not every state. To prevent fatal accidents, all states should illegalize the usage of phones while driving.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
1142 words (3.3 pages)
- As you say goodbye to your children as they prepare to go out for the evening you encourage them to have a few drinks before driving home. While this is not realistic to think any parent would encourage their teen to drink and drive, it is something that one might as well tell them if you permit these children to talk on a cell phone while driving. Is has been proven in many different states that teenage drivers are more susceptible to accidents without the use of a cell phone, but when they choose to add a cell phone to the mix, the potential for an accident increases significantly.... [tags: Driving Texting ]
1491 words (4.3 pages)
- ... The use of a cell phone while driving is extremely dangerous and destructive to not only the driver, but also everyone driving around them. Every year, twenty one percent of fatal car crashes involving teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 were the result of using their cell phone while behind the wheel. This statistic is expected to grow as much as four percent every year. But, texting and driving is not just a problem among teen drivers. One-fifth of adult drivers in the United States also report sending text messages while driving (“Cell Phone & Texting Accidents”).... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Drunk driving]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- Texting while driving is a widespread epidemic in the United States that has unfavorable effects on our society.“Driving while texting is the standard wording used for traffic violations” (Bernstein). It causes many people to be distracted which can lead to accidents. “Eighty-nine percent of people own a cell phone” (Gardner). That is a plethora of people that are at risk of texting while driving. Also, texting has increased by ten times in three years(Bernstein). “The risk of a crash for those who are texting is twenty-three point two times greater than those who are not” (Gardner).Driving drunk only makes a person seven times more likely to be in a crash (Bernstein).... [tags: distracted driving]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- In this short summary I will inform you of my policy using the results of the five references that I researched.Consequently, regarding using a cell-phone while driving. The various studies regarding the dangers of texting while driving are well known, and currently 39 states have banned the practice, the research has shown that using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of accidents, and most people assume that the dangerous aspect of cell-phone use is taking one hand off the steering wheel to hold and dial the phone.... [tags: Mobile phone, Bluetooth, Text messaging]
1519 words (4.3 pages)
- Stricter Distracted Driving Laws When students are in a classroom situation, they don’t think much of a phone going off in class, but when people are on the road, irresponsible use of cell phones can lead to endangerment of lives. Several people have before witnessed drivers distracted before. A person can be so distracted on social media, calling and chatting, emailing or texting that they can resemble drunk drivers. According to Delthia Ricks, “the number of teens who are dying or being injured as a result of texting while driving has skyrocketed as mobile device technology has advanced” (1).... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- Technology has been a part of Americans’ lives for several years and continues to improve. It has given society an easier way to communicate with family and friends with one simple device, the cell phone. A cellular phone is the most common type of technology used by all groups of people including parents, teenagers, and even young children. The number of people who own a cell phone also continues to increase, causing a huge distraction on society. Cell phones seem to own a person as they depend on their phone for almost everything.... [tags: communication, smart phone, apps]
1421 words (4.1 pages)
- In today’s society, everybody who’s anybody carries a cell phone around wherever they go. Some people are so attached to their phones, they not only need it for calls and messaging, they need it for social media, information, and even company. These feelings that we need to have our phones in our possession at all times is causing problems for up and coming generations. One of the problems that we face as a population today is cell phone addiction. Cell phone addiction needs to be fixed, to create a healthier, livelier society in the future.... [tags: Mobile phone, Addiction, Cellular network]
943 words (2.7 pages)