Anxiety has been defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary as “a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.” All these feelings can be summed up to a single word, a word that can describe a whole person’s outlook on life. The range of anxiety disorders ranges from general anxiety disorder(GAD) to social anxiety disorder and can also accompany other mental illnesses such as depression. With the competitive environmen...
... middle of paper ...
...mand for these resources is there, however the support from the general community is not, and that is the first thing we need to fix.
Dealing with anxiety is never easy, especially as a college student. We’re constantly stressed out of our mind from dealing with people dismissing our anxiety or we 're waiting in desperation hoping for an appointment to talk to the campus therapists. We as college students are struggling and we need help. We need support and reassuring words that show that we aren’t being cast aside. As a nation we need to wake up and realize that the college students of today are the leaders of tomorrow, and without our help nothing is going to change, but we can fix that. Speak out for anxiety awareness and pay attention to those around you. If someone comes to you for help, welcome them with open arms because that’s all we want; to be listened to.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Cause and Effects of Stress on College Students The chief academic officer Dr. Jacqueline McCray here at University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (UAPB) is very concerned about the major causes and effects of stress on college students here at UAPB. It is a fact, that administrators at colleges all over the nation have some of the same type of concerns. “Stress is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances.” according to Oxforddictionaries.com.... [tags: University, Student, Anxiety, Education]
2108 words (6 pages)
- Negative effects of procrastination in college students Procrastinating is the act of intentionally postponing or delaying an assignment, task, or activity to do start/ complete it at a later time or not at all (Merriam Webster). For example Chelsea had an eight page essay due by the end of the week, yet during the week Chelsea purposely pushed back doing the essay by doing numerous of small useless tasks such as; checking social media, going out with her friends, spending hours talking on the phone, painting her apartment, and constantly putting off doing the essay.... [tags: Procrastination, Anxiety, University, Emotion]
855 words (2.4 pages)
- Being Active, and Going Outside Can Reduce Stress in College Students College can be a stressful time in any young adult 's life. Trying to juggle family, friends, and school work, while trying to figure out the rest of a person life can bring on anxiety. Anxiety can be brought on by nervousness, apprehension, worry, or an unsettling feeling one may have. Everyone experiences anxiety in their lifetime, today there are nearly three million cases reported per year. Whether it has to do with paying the bills on time, a big exam coming up, or even making an appointment.... [tags: Panic attack, Anxiety, Anxiety disorder]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Would most students still attend college if they knew the amount of stress they would endure during the semesters. And if they were stressed would the be able to handle it. Stress is a state of mental or emotional strain of tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances. College students go under a lot of stress when they start colleges. The types of stress that college students deal with is academic, financial, parental and even self-imposed stress (Zinsser; Peer et al; Misra et al; Coleman and Trunzo).... [tags: University, Student, Education, Anxiety]
1336 words (3.8 pages)
- Being able to attend and graduate college is a dream and the next step in life for many students. However, going to college and finishing school are two completely different things. There has been a decrease in students who completed college. Researchers are wondering, what is causing students to not finish schooling. There are many reasons and questions to why it could be affecting the completion of college rates. One of the main issue is the skyrocketing cost of college tuitions. Majority of students are having stress and anxiety for not being able to afford college.... [tags: Free College For Students]
2019 words (5.8 pages)
- College students in the 21st century face a wide range of challenges. Students that are fresh out of high school find themselves away from home, often for the first time, and need to adjust to their new situation. Adults returning to college struggle to find time to study while also fulfilling work and family obligations. College students are increasingly relying on technology, and the costs of attending college have been skyrocketing. Every student’s personal situation is different, but most college students have been feeling the effects of stress.... [tags: University, High school, Education, College]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- The Effects of Performance Anxiety in Drum Corps The football field may be considered a space for football, but it is also a performance area for the marching music performer. The performer who uses the same space as football players is a member of a drum corps. Marching musical performers experience the same nervous anxiety ticks as other athletes. The purpose of this paper is to discuss the effects of anxiety has on performers of drum corps. Drum Corps Drum Corps International (DCI) defines drum corps has a drum and bugle musical marching unit that has only brass, percussion instruments and color guard.... [tags: Performance, Music, Performing arts, Anxiety]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
Anxiety Disorder And Its Effects On Students With Emotional Or Behavior Disorder, By Schoenfeld And Janney
- There have been many studies that are focused on anxiety, and the cause of the disorder that is very known to anyone who has attempted to achieve success. Anxiety is the most common disorder in America alone with Generalize Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder based on research. (Rosenberg & Kosslyn 2011) Anxiety is a sense of agitation or nervousness which is often focused on an upcoming possible danger (p. 156). The key response in an anxiety disorder is the fight or flight response which, I will describe more later in this paper.... [tags: Social anxiety disorder, Panic disorder, Anxiety]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- Depression and anxiety among college students is something that experts have focused on for the past twenty years. The information they have been gathering ranges from the different stressors of college life to the effects of one's culture on how they deal with depression or anxiety symptoms. They have identified a few core characteristics of depression and thoughts of suicide. These are both serious concepts in which people need to seek help for. It is important for students to reach out to friends, family, or professionals to support them during this time.... [tags: Psychology]
1096 words (3.1 pages)
- My research on the major causes and effects of stress on college students is compiled at the request of The President of Strayer University. The purpose of presenting this research paper to senior administration is to help students have a more constructive college experience. Students starting their college careers consist of major adjustments to the daily routine; sleep patterns and eating habits, time-management skills, and stress levels are different in one way or another. The American Institute of Stress, compiled a 2008 mental health study by the Associated Press, stated that eight of ten college students stated that they have occasionally, or often experienced stress in their daily liv... [tags: student loans,financial stress,college experience]
1396 words (4 pages)