Hypothesis: Electric toothbrushes remove more plaque and microorganisms from the mouth than manual toothbrushes.
• 2 Electric Toothbrushes (Wal-Mart brand)
• 2 Manual Toothbrushes (Wal-Mart brand)
• Crest Pro-Health Whitening Toothpaste
• Food (Lasagna was used for this experiment)
• 40 cotton swabs
• 40 plastic bags
• 20 Trypticase Soy Agar (TSA) plates
• Bunsen Burner
• Lab Goggles
• Permanent Marker
1) Designate two people to use electric toothbrushes and two people to use manual toothbrushes for the duration of the experiment.
2) Label the plastic bags as electric toothbrush trials or manual toothbrush trials.
3) Eat a bite of food and set the timer for 2 minutes
4) Brush teeth for 1 minute with designated toothbrush and Crest Pro-Health Whitening Toothpaste.
5) Take a cotton swab and swab the bristles of the toothbrush.
6) Place the cotton swab in the proper plastic bag. Each subsequent trial should be placed in its own individual bag.
7) Eat another bite of food and wait for another two minutes.
8) Repeat step 3-7 making sure to keep 2 minutes in between every 1 minute of brushing.
9) Repeat 10 times to have a total of 20 trials for electric toothbrushes and 20 for manual toothbrushes.
10) Obtain 20 Trypticase Soy Agar (TSA) plates.
11) Divide the TSA plates down the middle with a permanent marker and label one side “Electric Toothbrush” and the opposite side “Manual ...
... middle of paper ...
...al and electric toothbrushes.
Hatfield , Heather , and Alfred D. Wyatt . "Electric Toothbrushes: Are They for You?." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2014.
MathIsFun. "Percentage Change." Percentage Change. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2014.
Trochim, William M.K. "Descriptive Statistics." Descriptive Statistics. Web Center for Social Reseach Methods, 20 Oct. 2006. Web. 28 Apr. 2014.
Woudstra, Wendy J. . "Oral Health Buzz." Oral Bacteria: What Lives In Your Mouth?. Colgate-Palmolive Company, n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Rise of Battery-Powered Toothbrushes Executive Summary ================= The oral care category has been witnessing increasing sales over the past few years, especially in the battery-powered toothbrush segment. Between August 2001 and 2002, sales of power dental accessories in U.S. food, drug and mass outlets grew by 21.8% (Neff, 2002). There are many competitors in this industry including Colgate-Palmolive and Procter & Gamble. In May 2000, Colgate-Palmolive introduced the Colgate Actibrush with a retail price of $19.99 (Young, 2002).... [tags: Papers]
4515 words (12.9 pages)
- ... We have to be very careful about how we react when we are listing to the conversation. Our body language can give away so much based on how our body is positioned. Wordless communication, or body language, includes facial expressions, body movement and gestures, eye contact, posture, the tone of your voice, and even your muscle tension and breathing (Helpguide.org, n.d.). Developing the ability to understand and use nonverbal communication can help you connect with others, express what you really mean, navigate challenging situations, and build better relationships at home and work.... [tags: training manual, department managers]
1372 words (3.9 pages)
- The Leadership Development GE-Style case study offers a glimpse in to the management and leadership training provided by General Electric to its seasoned executives (Kreitner, 2008). The history of General Electric dates back to the days of Thomas Edison, with the formal company forming in 1892 (GE, 2010). General Electric is a successful company, which spans a history of over a century of time. They have grown from a company primarily concerned with electricity to one that competes globally in diversified markets such as finance, television production, aircraft engines, medical imaging, and power generation (GE, 2010).... [tags: Management]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) has been used for decades as a guidebook for the diagnosis of mental disorders in clinical settings. As disorders and diagnoses evolve, new versions of the manual are published. This tends to happen every 10 years or so with the first manual (DSM-I) having been published in 1952. For the purpose of this discussion, we will look at the DSM-IV, which was published originally in 1994, and the latest version, DSM-5, that was published in May of 2013.... [tags: Manual of Mental Disorders]
2204 words (6.3 pages)
- When Ford Motor Company was founded in 1903, it would go on to start a revolution for the American auto industry. Ford pioneered the assembly line and increased auto production substantially. Today, Ford is one of the most successful auto makers in the world. According to the company, a key factor of success is the focus on building relationships and placing the consumer first. Understanding the consumer and how they view business helps Ford to continue improvement ("Marketing strategy", 2010).... [tags: Electric Cars Essays]
3201 words (9.1 pages)
- Have you ever wondered about how many problems there are with fossil fueled vehicles. A lot of scientists like the idea because it is advanced and they say it’s cleaner and safer in many ways. The use of electricity will reduces the usage of the earth’s resources such as gas and oil. The electric use will not give off pollution that is unhealthy for the environment and its inhabitants. The electric vehicle also is far less noisy than those vehicles that run off of gas. Using electric vehicles can make the world safer and cleaner.... [tags: gas, electric, noisy, pollution]
532 words (1.5 pages)
- An electric vehicle is an automobile that is propelled by one electric motor or more, using electrical energy stored in batteries or another energy storage device. Some electric vehicles run one hundred percent on electricity, while others (hybrid electric vehicles) run partly on electricity and partly on some other fuel such as gas or diesel. Using electric vehicles that run one hundred percent on electricity would reduce the total primary energy consumed for personal transportation. There are more than 150,000 electric vehicles companies all over the world who construct and sell all kinds of electric vehicles.... [tags: Electric Cars Essays]
1925 words (5.5 pages)
- The Physics of an Electric Motor An electric motor is a device used to convert electric energy into rotational kinetic energy. There are two different types of electric motors, and each has there own use. The different types are direct current and alternating current motors. Each of these motors will be analyzed in the following. To understand how this motor works, we must understand the relationship between electricity, and magnetism or simply put electromagnetism. Direct electric current in a simple description: There are two requirements for current flow.... [tags: Motor Motors Electric Essays]
1615 words (4.6 pages)
- Introduction More than any other instrument, the electric guitar has shaped and redefined music in the last century. Although popular culture did not pay much attention to it when it was first introduced in the 1930s, it has since become equated with the very essence of rock and roll music. On an international level, the electric guitar is by far "the most famous instrument to come out of the United States" (howstuffworks.com). Background Inventors have been playing with the idea of electrically powered musical instruments since the 1800s, but "the first attempts at an amplified instrument did not come until the development of electrical amplification by the radio industry in the 1... [tags: physics electric guitar]
1313 words (3.8 pages)
- Toothbrushes and Tofu "Yay hyperchocolate hazelnut cake Yay apricot baklava Yay carrot cake and apple crisp Yay periwinkle dining room trim Yay co-ops" - Watermyn house journal, 1986 The co-op is on the corner of Waterman and Governor streets, hunkered there like an old man, into a dilapidated permanence. Two enormous cherry trees occupy the front yard; in the fall their golden leaves are left in peace to coat the lawn until they rot or blow away. A tangled cluster of bicycles clings to a metal sculpture that is perched like an insect under the largest tree.... [tags: Short Story Papers]
3835 words (11 pages)