4. DESIGN APPROACH TO MAKE BUILDINGS SUSTAINABLE.
The conclusion that we can derive after understanding the importance of solar energy with the built environment (i.e. Section 3 of the report) when compared to any other alternative energy sources is that, Solar energy technologies are a potent solution to reduce the environmental damage caused by our dependence on fossil fuels . This technology which works on three basic principles of energy consumption namely; collection, storage and distribution of the sun’s energy, can radically reduce our use of fossil fuels and our emissions of global warming pollutants such as greenhouse gasses. Hence, the integration of this technology with the built environment at various levels of the project makes it successful.
There are many types of solar technologies that can be adapted in our energy systems namely, Passive solar technique, Active solar technique and Hybrid technique.
I. Passive Solar Technique: This technique includes integration of all the professionals who are responsible for the b...
... middle of paper ...
... if frequent overheating—temperatures in excess of 70ºC (158ºF) is prevented.” (Robertson and Athienitis, 27) (Canada: CMHC, 1998) Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
Fig 7: Working of a PV Cell
5.1.1 Types of Photovoltaic (PV) solar cells:
PV cells are much in commercial use because of the availability of the various types based on the material used in their manufacture as well as based on their working pattern. Based on their working pattern there are two types of PV cells, namely; Autonomous PV cells and Hybrid PV cells which work in combination with any other energy sources to produce electricity. The other types of PV cells are based on their material usage during their manufacture. These are of four types, namely; Single‐crystalline or mono‐crystalline cells, Multi‐crystalline or polycrystalline cell, amorphous silicon cells and other thin films.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Solar energy is one of the useful resources, which do not impact on the environment. Today, some consumers use fossil fuel, which is nonrenewable and cause pollution, rather than other sources. Fossil fuel can make the air unhealthy by releasing carbon dioxide; therefore, solar energy is great because it is renewable energy and it is replaced. Solar energy as the same other sources has many uses, some of them can be dangerous especially if consumers use it in a wrong way and some of them can be useful and helpful for the environment; therefore, there are environmental advantages of solar energy.... [tags: Photovoltaics, Solar cell, Fossil fuel]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- According to the website www.merriam-webster.com, energy is the ability to do work; scientifically, it is the power derived from the utilization of physical or chemical resources, especially to provide light and heat or to work machines. For many people, one of the best discoveries which triggered the world to a rapidly evolution was energy. Indeed, energy is among the most helpful and versatile resources, which man have ever discovered because of its several varieties. Even though there are many kinds of energies, there is a strong discussion about using solar or nuclear energy to provide electricity without damaging the environment in a large scale nowadays.... [tags: Nuclear power, Nuclear fission, Solar energy]
1041 words (3 pages)
- World is moving fast towards rapid use of renewable energy source that will generate scarcity one day. On the other hand, solar energy is considered to be highly dependent renewable energy source which is not yet tapped very effectively. Solar energy can be utilized in multiple ways through either creating thermal energy or converting it into electrical energy. The solar power growth has witnessed significant presence since 2007 while moved from 3.1 (gigawatts PV manufacturing) in 2007 to 50 (gigawatts PV manufacturing) in 2014 (Chu, 2011).... [tags: Photovoltaics, Solar cell, Solar power]
1788 words (5.1 pages)
- What are the Environmental Advantages of Solar Energy. Solar energy is one of the useful resources, which do not impact on the environment. Today, most people use fossil fuel, which is nonrenewable and cause pollution, rather than other sources. Also, fossil fuel can make the air unhealthy by releasing carbon dioxide; therefore, solar energy is great because it is renewable energy and it is replaced. Solar energy has many uses some of them can be dangerous and some of them can be useful and helpful for the environment; therefore, there are environmental advantages of solar energy.... [tags: Photovoltaics, Solar cell, Fossil fuel]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- Solar Energy Energy is an important part of life producing power of movement, heat, and production of electricity in many ways. Renewable energy producing electricity never runs out causing lower environmental impact. Solar energy should be used globally expanding living future to improve architectural design in residential and commercial buildings. With 7 billion people across the world, living future might be one of the solutions to global warming saving energy, water, electricity, and nature.... [tags: Photovoltaics, Solar cell, Solar energy]
911 words (2.6 pages)
- Solar energy is more environment friendly. This alternative source does not rely on the incineration of carbon substances to produce energy in contrast to the commonly used fossil fuels and therefore, does not aggravate the air and water pollution issues that the world is currently facing. Solar energy also has only a few detrimental effects to society and these can be easily eradicated by modern technology and strict regulation. During the energy production process, solar factories release toxic chemicals; however, these chemicals do not pose a threat because there are already solutions that can remedy this situation.... [tags: alternative sources of energy]
647 words (1.8 pages)
- This is NOT a paper. It is an Annotated Bibliography Plan: I want to look into solar energy and assess how likely it is to change American energy usage through the 21st century. This type of energy has worked well in Germany and should be greatly considered in the US. I think widespread usage of solar energy can prove a large step in solving our current energy crisis and assist in the current climate crisis at the same time. Outline I. Introduction A. The current energy system needs a new solution B.... [tags: Solar Energy is the Future]
4421 words (12.6 pages)
- Solar and wind energies are under the category of renewable energy, in which energy comes from an inexhaustible source when used. Solar energy is produced using solar panels that capture the rays of the sun and convert them, through photovoltaic generation, into electrical energy (Hinrichs, 377-378). To make things short, the photovoltaic generations happens with the help the photoelectric effect, in which electrons and holes are produced when light shines on the negative plate of a solar panel (Hinrichs, 378).... [tags: Wind power, Renewable energy, Fossil fuel]
1026 words (2.9 pages)
- Energy Sources Energy is a source that everybody needs. Energy is necessary for movement, light, growth, to provide heat and power. Energy is classified by the different sources of energy that exist. Those sources of energy are either renewable energy or non-renewable energy. Each type of energy has different benefits and disadvantages. According with James Bratley said, “Renewable energy is a natural energy that does not have a limited supply… can be used again and again and never run out” (Bratley).... [tags: Fossil fuel, Wind power, Renewable energy]
882 words (2.5 pages)
- One experimentally, observed that the PV cell present the great oscillations of output electrical power according to the solar radiation intensity and to the meteorological conditions. In addition, when they debited on the electrical charge one can observe certain problems, and power transferred to the charge, rarely correspond to the maximum power transferred by PV panel. This method is called Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) and it forces the PV system operates in the maximum power point. When a power source is connected to a charge, the work point is found to the intersection between (I-V) characteristics.... [tags: Photovoltaics, Solar cell, Photovoltaic module]
1332 words (3.8 pages)