Beetle’s morphological traits
We found 708 Bruchinae beetles associated with S. tenuifolia seeds. Of which, 631 were M. terani species in all sampled sites and 77 were S. maculatopygus species, which was present in six sites. For beetle traits assessment, we measured a total of 384 beetles, wherein 346 were M. terani individuals and 38 were S. maculatopygus species, representing respectively 90.11% and 9.89 % of the total sampled beetles in 2011. From the S. maculatopygus individuals we assessed four female and 30 male beetles (four individuals were unidentifiable by sex) while for M. terani we had 164 females and 179 male individuals (three individuals were not identified by sex). As we observed in this study, the M. terani is the most abundant species present in S. tenuifolia plant when compared to S. maculatopygus and also comparing to other insects associated to this plant (Tuller et al. 2015).
Table 1 resumes morphological traits data in respect to species, sex and sampling events. Analysing the species separately and assuming sex as explicative variable, we observed no dif...
... middle of paper ...
...iomass (F= 0.36, p= 0.861 – Fig. 5D) and the consumed biomass did not vary between sexes (F= 0.34, p= 0.560). On the other hand, we observed that estimated heavier seeds were more consumed by the beetles, independently of sex (female: F= 83.84, p< 0.001; male: F= 109.09, p< 0.001 - Fig. 5B). In addition, we found heavier adults inside heavier seeds, with females showing a stronger response than males (female: F= 8.75, p= 0.004; male: F= 30.38, p< 0.001 - Fig. 5C). Finally, despite those influences and differences ascribed above, the covariance analyses showed that beetle individual longevities were not influenced by sex (F= 0.47, p= 0.496) and beetle biomass (F= 0.04, p= 0.834). Other relationships were established considering seed biomass (F= 1.80, p= 0.181) and consumed seed biomass (F= 1.77, p= 0.185) and their influence on longevity and non-relation were observed.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Optimal pH Levels for Radish Seed Germination Question Do radish seeds germinate best in neutral, acidic or alkaline solutions. Introduction Germination is the reestablishment of metabolic processes in a seed after a period of dormancy. The germination process varies for different seed varieties. Generally, germination begins when water causes the outer covering of the seed to loosen. The uptake of water by the seed triggers the release of hormones needed for respiration, protein synthesis, and the activation and production of the digestive enzymes needed to hydrolyze the nutrients stored in the seed (Lockwood & Hartman, 2009).... [tags: Germination, Seed, PH, Seed dormancy]
1302 words (3.7 pages)
- Biomass is a biological material derived from living, or recently living organisms. In the context of biomass for energy this is often used to mean plant based materials, but biomass can equally apply to both animal and vegetable derived material. Biomass is considered to be one of the key renewable resources of the future at both small and large scale levels. It already supplies fourteen percent of the world’s primary energy consumption. Growing Biomass is a rural, labor-intensive activity, and can, therefore, create jobs in rural areas and help stem rural to urban migration.... [tags: biomass, renewable resource, organic]
634 words (1.8 pages)
- OQT Task 2 Observation: Phosphates have been banned in cleaning products in several states because of their known adverse effects on the environment; their biodegradable replacements however, although safer in preventing eutrophication still have an adverse impact on the growth of vegetation within the ecosystem. Question: What effect do biodegradable phosphate-free detergents have on seed germination. Proposed hypothesis: Seedlings treated with phosphate-free biodegradable detergent water will show a lower rate of germination and frond growth when compared to a control.... [tags: Germination, Seed, Seedling, Water]
1993 words (5.7 pages)
- ... A number of milling processes (ball milling, two-roll milling, hammer milling, colloid milling and vibro energy milling) can be used to enhance the enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocelullosic materials (Taherzadehand Karimi, 2008). The power necessity of this pretreatment is comparitively high. Considering, the high-energy requirements and the soaring energy prices, this process is not economically feasible (Hendriksand Zeeman, 2009). Extrusion Extrusion process is aninnovative and assuring technique for ethanol production.... [tags: lignocellulosic biomass, pretreatment]
1330 words (3.8 pages)
- Intertextuality in Robert Kroetsch's Seed Catalogue The late poet John Donne said, "No man is an island." Donne passed away in the earliest part of the seventeenth century, and yet he recognized an idea upon which much of modern philosophy and literary criticism is built. Donne said, in effect, that any individual man is nothing outside the body of mankind; Donne thereby supports a theory of cultural subjectivism. In the field of literary criticism, particularly modern and postmodern criticism, the term intertextuality refers to the phenomenon of interconnectedness that exists specifically within literature.... [tags: Kroetsch Seed Catalogue Essays]
1871 words (5.3 pages)
- Effect of Intraspecific Competition on the Biomass and Height of Helianthus Annuus Abstract: The purpose of this experiment was to study the biomass and stem length of Helianthus plants growing in an intraspecific competitive environment compared to Helianthus growing in an isolated environment. I hypothesized that increased competition would limit the amount of nutrition available to each plant and thus effect the growth potential. A total of 24 plants, 6 to each pot were grown for ten weeks under the same environmental conditions.... [tags: essays research papers]
1250 words (3.6 pages)
- TurnItIn Statement: The similarity percentage gained from TurnItIn was 11%. 6% of this was apparently from another student’s work. The matched phrase was “The aim of this experiment was to investigate the if the mounting behaviour of Callosobruchus maculatus change depending on the ratio of male to female Callosobruchus maculatus.”. This phrase is quite generic and was not copied from another student, so it was not changed. The remaining 6% was partial sentences from a variety of sources from the internet.... [tags: Gender, Sex, Male, Female]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- Nature is a balancing act. When a certain balance of a simple, natural ecosystem is disrupted, it becomes dangerously unstable. This is exactly what happened, and is currently happening, to the island of Guam. This two hundred and nine square mile island has a very simple ecosystem. The only native mammal here is the Mariana fruit bat (Miller). Consequently, when human development started on Guam its animal kingdom started to become quite unstable. For example, the brown tree snake has wiped out half of the bird population and is currently downsizing the population of rats.... [tags: nature, ecosystem, Palau, palm tree]
1405 words (4 pages)
Categorization of Biomass Material, Pollution Forming mechanism and Health Impacts in Developing Countries.
- Introduction Biomass energy is important renewable source of energy that is derived from either living or organisms that were in existence recently. This energy source is used in dual purposes; to be used directly with the process of combustion to produce heat or through indirect means after its conversion into different forms of biofuels. The focus of our project would be usage of Biomass energy through mainly combustion process in the developing world. In this region biomass is the primary source of domestic energy supplying approximately over 70% of the energy consumed (Ndiema, Mpendazoe and Williams, 1997).... [tags: Biomass Energy, Renewable Source of Energy]
2493 words (7.1 pages)
- Introduction: Seed germination is a process where the quiescence seed imbibed with water, the seed radical elongates and breaks through the seed coat surrounding the embryo. However, most of the plant seeds do not germinate immediately and they under goes period of dormancy. These dormant seeds are normally dehydrated, containing inactive enzymes and resistant to unfavorable condition. These characteristic allowed the seed to be dispersed before germination occur and survive adverse environmental condition such as drought.... [tags: plant species, light, ]
2362 words (6.7 pages)
- Voting Is The Most Important Things That People Should Do
- Important Qualities That A Therapist Should Have Are Empathic And Great Listening Skills
- Functionalist Theory Of Social Institution
- The Faux Moon Landing Theory
- Positive And Negative History Of Columbus ' Journeys
- The Hobbit Laughed And Patted Her Arm