Most diagnoses for students involve a specific learning disability; these are commonly comorbidly diagnosed with various mental health disorders. When working with students, it is often necessary to address their mental health issues first before the learning disabilities can be effectively supported. One of the most increasingly commonly seen mental health disorders among students on her caseload is Autism Spectrum Disorder. One way students are supported is through daily sessions with their case managers in study halls. Something that is vitally important that happens far more often than one would believe is teachers not updati...
... middle of paper ...
In order to better serve students who have various reasons for being on an individualized education plan, teachers need to find a way to keep that information organized so that it is readily available when it is needed. Finding and sharing a way to make that happen in a classroom setting is the next step in providing the best possible education to students with special needs. Additionally, the communication between the special education departments and the general educator needs to be clear, particularly when outlining expectations for all parties involved.
Each member of an educational team is vital to the continued success of student learning. Students need to know they have an advocate on their side, but they also need to see that team working together to provide them with the best education possible, whatever that may take for each individual.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Best Practices “Knowing the right thing to do is the central problem of school improvement.” (Elmore, 2003, p. 9) When beginning to improve the Deer Valley High School’s special education students, it was very important to search through many, data-based interventions to find three that would work for this unique campus. There are only a couple of interventions that the school is using now; the campus is using aides to help in every classroom with notes and instruction clarification and study periods put into the schedule to assist in homework for the special education students.... [tags: Education, Special education, Teacher, School]
1037 words (3 pages)
- As a future high school special education teacher I will not be working on phonemic and phonological awareness with early elementary readers. However, I will be working with students who are still learning these skills at the high school level. As an educator, I need to have a thorough understanding of phonological and phonemic awareness in order to implement creative ways to assist my students in learning and strengthening these skills within my classroom. In a perfect world I would not need to work on these strategies at the high school level, however, everyone learns at their own pace and I intent create a “linguistically rich environments in which written and spoken language are used to... [tags: High school, Education, Phonological awareness]
1190 words (3.4 pages)
- In order to gain more information on the ways in which student who are suffering from mental health issues, it is essential to know what services are in place for these students in our school. One resource at Sheyenne High School is built into the special education department in the form of building level special education representatives or SEBLRs. These educators are responsible for ensuring each special education teacher has the resources he or she needs to support the students on their caseload.... [tags: Special education, Education]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- “Students placed in special education are at greater risk for high school dropout, fewer years of postsecondary education, unemployment, and lower earnings in comparison with students who are not placed in special education” (Chesmore, Ou and Reynolds, 2016, p. 109). Depending on the circumstances, it can be argued that in some cases a SPED program might benefit a student academically, while in other cases a SPED program may result in no change at all, or even go as far to have negative effects on the student.... [tags: Education, Special education, High school]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- As a Special Education minor, I support any student that has special educational needs. When it comes to the story of Luke, a young boy with autism, I agree with the parents and the right their child has. I stand by my decision to support the Perkins family because they have every right to make sure their child is well cared for. I believe that the Perkins family has every right to be suing the school district because it is the best option for their son Luke. Last year I was an intern at Mercer County Special Services School and I learned things at that school that have changed my perspective on special education.... [tags: Education, High school, Special education, School]
804 words (2.3 pages)
- When first thinking about my personal special education history, I had a hard time thinking of specific examples. In school, I felt I was isolated from students with exceptionalities. I was unaware difference in instruction in elementary school and my role as a student. In elementary school, I do remember several instances where I became confused by different types of behavior. I was unaware of the types of diagnosis for students; I saw students as those who acted out, problem children, and the “normal” students.... [tags: Education, Special education, High school, College]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- Unique. Unique is the best word that can describe Eastampton Community School. Located in Burlington County, New Jersey, Eastampton is a small town with a population of about 6,000 residences. What makes Eastampton such a desirable place to reside is its location to the military base. Home prices in conjunction with the property taxes are reasonable. In 2015, the general tax rate was 3.005. The average home assessed value averaged $220,000 with a school tax rate of 1.224. This small town contains a one building school that serves over 600 students in grades kindergarten through 8th grade.... [tags: Education, High school, Special education]
2574 words (7.4 pages)
- The impact of including students with disabilities into the general education classroom has been extensively documented. Research has demonstrated a positive correlation between including students with disabilities and their academic progress (Daniel & King, 1997; Luster & Durrett, 2003; Peetsma et al., 2001). Including students with disabilities also appears to have a positive effect on their non disabled peers (Huber, Rosenfeld, & Fiorello, 2001; Sharpe, 1994) indicating that inclusion practices benefit all students, especially low achieving students.... [tags: Special education, Education, High school]
1037 words (3 pages)
- One of the legal implications in the case of Wartenberg v. Capistrano Unified School District (1995) was that the Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) federal law was being violated (west Law, 1995). Since the court found the district in violation of FAPE, it also meant that the services being provided in the IEP were not appropriate. Jeremy continued to struggle in school, and despite initial modifications being made, the last addendum to the IEP stated fewer services and no supplemental hours, in a structured educational setting.... [tags: Special education, Education, High school]
704 words (2 pages)
- My observation took place in John Bowne High School in flushing main st. Queens. It is right across from a cemetery and next to Queens College. It is a big High School with a huge population of students. Total enrolled is 3,694 students. The school is in a great location besides the cemetery right across the street. There’s a college campus right behind the John Bowne for students to get a feeling of college and the next step in life. There are couples of other schools around the neighborhood. Students from all over come to John Bowne and the transportation is very convenient since there’s many bus run through the neighborhood.... [tags: Education, High school, Special education]
1087 words (3.1 pages)