Why a website? By 2012 most homes in the historic "North End" of Champaign and Urbana will have access to low-cost high-speed broadband Internet connectivity through the Urbana-Champaign Big Broadband (UC2B) initiative, http://uc2b.net. At the eBlackCU project we want to create the digital infrastructure to enable all past, present and future residents of Champaign-Urbana to become inspired by the rich heritage of the local African-American community and its struggles for equality in housing, education, employment, financing, as well as for an end to discrimination and racism. Through this project and others we hope to involve and engage everyone in the use of digital technology for life-long learning. The technology enables us to share this history across Champaign-Urbana, and across the globe, but everyone has to be an active participant in the technology for the project to matter.
The eBlackCU project is experimenting with the best ways to animate this archive of local history. Projects so far have included creating bibliographies/webliographies of local African-American history; creating research guides to primary so...
... middle of paper ...
...CU team. Front row (l to r): Rachel Harmon, Dominique Johnson, Deidre Murphy. Bak row: Project Director Noah Lenstra, Jaime Carpenter, Reginald Carr, Supervising Investigator Abdul Alkalimat and Jelani Saadiq.
Photo2 - Tinsley's Cleaners - located on North First Street in the 1950s and 1960s, one of many African-American owned businesses over the years in Champaign-Urbana.
Photo3 - The eBlackChampaign-Urbana logo.
Did you know...
...that Champaign county has continuously had an African-American population since the late 1840s?
...that there were over ten African-American newspapers and newsletters in Champaign-Urbana throughout the Twentieth Century?
...that there have been African-American communities not only in Champaign-Urbana, but also in places such as Sydney, Homer, Broadlands, Rantoul and other places throughout Champaign County?
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Blogger vs. WordPress the Winner Revealed There are so many website hosting platforms and websites available on the internet for blogging purposes and many others. Two very eminent names which come to mind when it comes to blog hosting is Blogger and WordPress. Since newbies find it very difficult as to which of these two to choose, it is very imperative for everybody who would love to own a blog get know the differences in features that they both share and have. They both have some features which clearly differentiate them and clearly make one win when it comes to which of them is the best.... [tags: Blog, Blogger, Website, Pyra Labs]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- We are a website development company that is focused solely on the quality of our work and the efficiency of our website design and development operations performed by our experienced design teams. We offer a wide variety of website development options guaranteed to be effective in making your website stunning and captivating to any customers or visitors that you may receive. Professional Web Design Company Web applications are continuing to expand and have become more complicated than they once were.... [tags: Website, Web design, World Wide Web, Design]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- “If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday,” quoted Pearl Buck. Most everyone has a time in their life where history becomes important to them. Whether that be tracing back family heritage, writing a research essay, or just out of curiosity. All and all, history is very influential to people’s lives and what better way to learn about history then to visit the website “Image Archive on the American Eugenics Movement.” This credible website offers an opportunity for the public to learn more about our American history in an interactive and creative way.... [tags: Website Review, Reliable Sources]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- A Critique of “OPEC” – The Website OPEC stands for “Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries” and is comprised of the largest oil-producing nations of the world. Through OPEC, these Member Countries work together to control the price and availability of oil--one of the most significant commodities in today’s worldwide economy. Founded in September of 1960 with headquarters in Vienna, the OPEC organization is currently comprised of twelve member countries (History of OPEC, 1). OPEC’s mission is defined in a formal organizational statute that identifies their role “to coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order t... [tags: Website Review]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- In England in 2009 smoking attributed to over 81,000 deaths in those over 35 years old, 18 per cent of all deaths in this age group (The Information Centre NHS, 2011). Over sixty years ago the causal link between smoking and lung cancer was recognized (Doll, R. and Hill, A., 1950). Since that time smoking has been linked to numerous types of cancer (IARC, 2002) and other diseases (NHS Choices, 2009). As a consequence the nurses' role in promoting smoking cessation is vital. Effectiveness in this role depends upon understanding the evidence in order to overcome any misunderstandings that patients may have.... [tags: Website Review]
2227 words (6.4 pages)
- A website is a source where people can find information about a company or entrepreneurship. A website will also help expand a business by being able to communicate with customers and employees in an effective manner. The cost of a website is inexpensive in which there is only a one-time fee. Competition exists in every business that will lead to innovation that will introduce new products and methods in which all businesses need. This website will make it convenient to make any changes or new advertisements for a business.... [tags: Web hosting service, Website, Web server]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Medium of production, textual form, perspective and choice of language are all core factors in influencing the meaning of a text. Choice of language can play a pivotal role in providing an insight into the author of a texts' perspective, which is vital when determining the intended meaning of a text. Textual form and the medium of production of a text are also important, as these help to convey the author's perspective, and results in a better understanding of the meaning of the text. The impacts of these factors will be evaluated in the following examples, which illustrates how they can influence meaning in texts, in regards to the relationships between individual memory and documented... [tags: Website Analysis]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- Selling a Website - The Process Initial Seller meetings are conducted by the Seller's Broker (a professionally trained Business Broker, holding a Real Estate Agent license where necessary), and the Seller is educated on the process of selling a business. A Representation Agreement is filled out by the Seller's Broker & signed by the Seller. Immediately after signing the representation Agreement, the Seller provides the Broker the following: Complete lists of all equipment and other assets to be included or excluded in the sale; Profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and tax returns of the Business covering the last three years; The most recent interim profit and loss statement, bala... [tags: Sell Website]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- Critique of a Website Web sites are just like magazines, newspapers, brochures, menus, or even directions on how to make nitroglycerin from house-hold goods, in that they all have to be put together in such a manner that whoever is reading or browsing over it will be able to clearly distinguish this from that. In this sense, a critique of any particular web site will have justification, while carefully considering also that this is an altogether new medium of information exchange. Now, all of this talk of togetherness is actually a general reference to basic design principles, such as color coordination, if color is used, text size, font choice/ style, art integration, accessibility, and j... [tags: Website Design Analysis Essays Papers]
1625 words (4.6 pages)
- Buying an Existing Website Have you considered being your own boss, creating your own financial independence and making your own dreams a reality. You're not alone, owning your own business is the "American dream". But the reality is that buying a business is a serious financial and personal commitment that requires an understanding of what makes a business successful. All too often, new owners jump blindly into a business venture, overwhelmed by the tremendous workload of starting a business from the ground up.... [tags: Sell Website]
539 words (1.5 pages)