Many people in the business world tend to shy away from using Microsoft Excel. One of the main reasons that they do this is because they are intimidated by excel formulas. These are definitely areas within the program that are difficult, especially when you are first starting out. However, with a few tricks and tips, you can easily find that it is much simpler than perceived to create effective and powerful excel formulas.
Here are some ways for you to do just that:
Keep it Simple
The first thing you need to remember when you are working with Excel formulas is to keep them as simple as you possible can. Try not to overcomplicate your formulas. Instead, think of the most basic way to come up with the answer you are seeking.
Not only can large formulas make it harder for you to get the right answers, but it can actually slow down your entire spreadsheet. To help with this problem, consider breaking down your formulas into smaller, more manageable ones. This will help you to spot errors and speed up the spreadsheet at the same time.
Use Short Cuts
When you are pouring through an endless amount of data, adjusting formulas and adding new ones can take some time. Luckily, there are many shortcuts and tricks to help with this process. Here are some of the best ones to use to help save you time:
• To quickly switch between different reference types, Press F4.
• Select a range of cells, type a formula into the first cell and press Ctrl + Enter to copy the formula into all the cells in that range.
• Make sure you always use always include closing parenthesis to each set of open parenthesis to cut down on the number of errors you receive.
• Make your calculations manual, which can help cut down on the...
... middle of paper ...
From this location, you can see which formulas you have used most recently as well as the different types of formulas that the program offers. You can choose from formulas in the financial, logical, text or a few other categories. Understanding how the formulas are classified can help you to determine which one is the best option for you to choose.
Getting to know the different formulas in Excel is one of the best ways to become more skilled with the program as a whole. While you are going through this process, you should also take time to test and experiment with each of the formulas you feel you will be learning. This will help you to know the best way to implement them in a real-world setting. Also, always be on the lookout for new formulas that are being released by newer versions of Excel. These tend to prove very beneficial to users of the program.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Microsoft Excel 2013 (Ms Excel 2013) is a spreadsheet application advanced by Microsoft as part of Ms Office suit software whose stable system release was on September 8th, 2015. The application incorporates numerous new features ranging from calculation tools, graphing tools, pivot tables among other productive, collaborative and security features all for performance improvements. Basically, the Excel 2013 has its improvements from previous versions due to its ability of highlighting the expedient and relevant features for the common users.... [tags: Spreadsheet, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- At some point in your life you’re going to have to use Word, Excel and PowerPoint whether it’s in your personal life or your professional one. I must say though my favorite and most productive of the three would have to be Excel. Excel is a spreadsheet design by Microsoft that can be ran on numerous operating systems. From Windows servers 2008 to windows 8.1 with a memory of 1or 2 gm rams. Although if you want to access the graphic features on excel it is best to use a 2 GB ram which is (64- bit).... [tags: Spreadsheet, Microsoft Office, Microsoft]
853 words (2.4 pages)
- Advanced Features of Microsoft Office Features of Microsoft Office allow the user to control and fine tune their works with the aim of increasing efficiency. The following important options are found in most of the application among many others: a) Paste option b) Recent option c) Templates The old versions of Microsoft office that had paste options that were limited. However, the latest versions have several options other than simply pasting. These options are available through the Paste option found in the Home tab under the Clipboard group.... [tags: Microsoft Office, Microsoft]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- 1 System Software: The system software is installed on your device when you installed your current operating system. You can update the software by running programs such as "Windows Update" for Windows or "Software Update" for Mac OS X. Unlike application programs, however, system software is not meant to be run by the end user. For example, while you might use your Web browser every day, you probably have nothing to make much use of an assembler program (unless, of course, you are a computer programmer).... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- Microsoft Excel Coursework Sensei Lee Griffin and sensei Mark Seat are the owners of the North London jikishin jiu jitsu association. They train some of the best jiu jitsu fighters in Britain and both Lee and Mark regularly enter competitions. They begin to teach the Japanese martial art to many young children and also to adults. Their training area is state of the art and the facilities are wonderful, one of questions that their students ask them is "where am I in the club rankings?" Currently sensei Lee and sensei Mark are not able to answers these questions, they simply do not have anyway of showing their fighters who is the best in the... [tags: Papers]
1207 words (3.4 pages)
- Using Macros to Get the Most Out of Excel As accounting professionals, accuracy in financial calculations and the integrity of the raw data are vital to producing useful information. Our clients prevail upon us to be more accurate and more thorough in less time. The tremendous advances in information technology are apparent across most industries. Accountants can gain much from this revolution through advances in spreadsheeting. Microsoft Excel is an application that can produce an almost infinite number of financial calculations.... [tags: Papers]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- M3 - Compare different automation methods In MOD’s excel workbook I have used many macros to create shortcuts to different sheets and also macros to perform various tasks. Overall using macros will speed up how fast the end user can use and navigate the sheet and also make it easier to use. I have also used auto-sum, this automatically entered in a certain formula that I had chosen. By using auto-sum I saved time by not having to enter in long formulas. I have also used an automated filter tool, this tool filters out any data that the user decides is unneeded, which will help the user as it does not show data that useless to them or is unneeded.... [tags: Spreadsheet, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office]
709 words (2 pages)
- Time is an issue for so many of us that we need to utilize every viable timesaver available to us. Computers have become as common as a stove or television in most households. Many of us have not had the opportunity to truly learn our software; and without that training, we may be unaware that we are wasting valuable time. AutoCorrect is feature in Microsoft Word where you can store and automatically insert frequently used text and graphics. A few simple steps will have you getting your routine tasks completed in less time than ever.... [tags: Information Technology ]
511 words (1.5 pages)
- Microsoft and Apple are the two leading corporations in the rapidly growing electronic business. Apple Inc. was incorporated January 3, 1977, ('Apple Investor Relations Investor FAQ') one year after Microsoft was funded. In August 1981, Microsoft launched its first version of Windows version 1.0 sparking the competition between Microsoft and Apple. ('Introduction to Microsoft Windows') Microsoft is better than Apple because, people are more familiar with Microsoft Windows rather than Mac OS (Operating System) X.... [tags: Technology]
760 words (2.2 pages)
- There is a requirement for a Vehicle Data Management System (VDMS) by the United States. The military currently has numerous tracked and wheeled vehicles in its inventory, with technical data on their operation and performance available in manuals and reports. Alternatively, there are various vehicle performance computer models and applications, which manipulate characteristics of these vehicles for analytical purposes, but no standard data depot currently exists for collection and storage of this information.... [tags: essays research papers]
767 words (2.2 pages)