Even though the basic structure of the ancient Mesopotamian religion was vastly different from early monotheistic thought and belief they shared several ancient social and religious practices that were the products of Abraham’s Mesopotamian foundation, and the location of his people. The first of these can be found when comparing the creation stories of each religion. The biblical story tells of the earth being a “formless void” covered in water, while the “Mesopotamian Creation Epic” explains the creation of the world in terms of a battle between a primordial god, and her children (Genesis 1, The New Oxford Annotated Bible; Pritchard, 1973). The victory over the primordial god is followed by her destruction through which the world is born. This may seem by no means close to the biblical rendering of creation, but their relationship is made more clearly with an understanding of wh...
... middle of paper ...
...search, 23(4), 184-196.
Burnight, J. (2013, August 26-December 12). Religions of the world. Addressed at Lang Hall, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA.
Coogan, M.D. (Ed.). (2010). The new oxford annotated Bible (4th ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Coote, R. B. (1998). The book of Joshua: Introduction, commentary, and reflections. In L. E. Keck, T. G. Long, B. C. Birch, K. P. Darr, W. L. Lane, G. R. O’Day, D. L. Petersen, J. J. Collins, J. A. Keller Jr., J. E. Massey, & M. L. Soards. (Eds.), The new interpreter’s bible: a commentary in twelve volumes (pp. 553-719). Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press.
Stepaniants, M. (2002). The encounter of Zoroastrianism with Islam. Philosophy of East and West, 52, 159-172.
Pritchard, J. B. (Ed.). (1973). The ancient near east: An anthology of texts and pictures (Vol. 1). Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Colombia Colombia emerged from the collapse of the Gran Colombia in 1830. Since then the country has struggled with internal threats, illicit drug production, and estranged relations with neighboring nations. In a country slightly less than twice the size of Texas and claiming over 46,000,000 citizens, Colombia faces many challenges in its efforts to resolve internal conflict, reduce narcotics operations, improve the environment, and repair relationships in the region. Threats The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) is the largest, oldest, and most influential threat group operating in Colombia.... [tags: illicit drug production, FARC, civil unrest]
1668 words (4.8 pages)
- As one of the most controversial figures in the Civil War, General Jubal Early led the Confederacy in its most threatening attack against the Union capital. He was not a typical Confederate general since he displayed no religious faith, had few friends, and lacked manners (Axelrod 125). He was not likable as a person, yet seemed to demand respect as a general. He refused to admit defeat, often “rising from the ashes of his own failures” (Swisher). Early’s most admirable quality was his intense loyalty.... [tags: confederacy, civil war, hostilities]
1420 words (4.1 pages)
- Influential Hispanics of Early Texas May 30, 2010 Influential Hispanics of early Texas Many people that were indigenous to New Spain and latter, Mexico had settled in Texas when it was a northern State of Mexico. Many contributed in an effort to tame the wild paradise and bring civilization to the region beyond what the Spanish missionaries had begun a century before. In 1821, Mexico gained independence from Spain, and began to actively recruit people to populate the land north of the Rio Grande with far more urgency that did Spain.... [tags: Texas History]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- Police Officers. Today, police forces screen candidates who want to be police officers based on their level of education (Goff, 2014, p. 204). Police forces also often more training on the job and greater specialized training on the job (Council of Canadian Academies, 2014, p. 50). By raising the education standards of officers, as well as offering more on job training, police agencies aim to employ more efficient officers with increased knowledge on the use of technology (p. 191). Studies have shown that law enforcement officers with more education are better at dealing with stress from the job, take more initiative on the job, are more professional on the job, and generate less public comp... [tags: Police, Constable, Law enforcement agency]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- The Play “Macbeth” by William Shakespeare is shaped by supernatural forces with the use of the weird witches, the apparition of the ghost, and the floating dagger. These forces lead Macbeth to act in the way he did and add suspense to the play. The play opens with the three witches, and later on Macbeth and Banquo encounter them. They prophesized that Macbeth will be promoted to Thane of Cawdor, and then become King of Scotland. In addition to that, Banquo was told that his sons shall be kings, but never himself.... [tags: Shakespearean Literature ]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- Michael Porter created the five competitive forces model in 1979. It is a tool used by strategist to manage the competition in the industry. It helps to identify the most competitive forces and formulate the appropriate strategy for the company. Company that intend to enter the particular industry may use this model as guidance to evaluation of the potential risks, opportunities, constraints and the roots of profitability. 1. Buyer Power There are two buyer categories in the automobile industry: final customer, the actual users of the end product and industry’s customer, manufacture company buying the necessary items from the supplier.... [tags: ]
1521 words (4.3 pages)
- It is strange to consider Thomas Jefferson’s writings when speaking on traits of the American. Jefferson never wrote directly on the topic of the general character of the American. It was he, who was more responsible for setting the parameters of a society which would fulfill the ideals of what would become a part of the American character. He knew that liberty and equality could not exist in a hierarchical society. He also was aware that a society which was primarily production oriented, bound together by interdependence on those who controlled the the financial resources would put to much power in the hands of a few.... [tags: essays research papers]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- Opposing Forces in Heart of Darkness In Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad sets up the opposing forces of black and white in order to convey the theme that every man has his own heart of darkness that is simply masked by the superficial light of civilization. The novella focuses primarily on Charlie Marlow's journey into the African Congo, but simultaneously deals with many underlying themes. Marlow understood the basic premises of imperialism, but was unprepared for the world he encountered while in the wilderness.... [tags: Heart Darkness essays]
1617 words (4.6 pages)
- The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia, or FARC, have been waging a guerilla war against the Columbian government for thirty-eight years. The organization has a Marxist-Socialist ideological base and has been terrorizing Columbia for some time now. The most recent development is Senator Martha Catalina Daniels was shot twice in the head and killed on March 3. Her body and two others were found at the bottom of a ravine about twenty-five miles west of the Columbia’s capital, Bogotá.... [tags: Politics Government Columbia Essays]
1383 words (4 pages)
- Aerodynamic Forces The use of aerodynamic forces by the expert golfer was demonstrated to me once by a drive off the tee by a well-known professional, Arnold Palmer. I stood directly behind him so that I could have the best view of the flight of the ball. Instead of the ball going on the path I had expected, it climbed in a nearly straight line for about 3 s and only then began to fall. Recall that Newton's First Law states that a body continues in a straight line at constant speed unless a force acts on it.... [tags: Papers]
3440 words (9.8 pages)