Since it was invented, duct tape has been used for many other purposes. In fact, it has so many now that it has become an icon. Its versatility became popular with the help of a television celebrity Red Green. Red Green showed us that there is hardly anything in your house, or garage for that matter, which cannot be fixed with a little duct tape. Duct tape can fix the body of your car, the hole in your boat, and the tear in your lazy boy. Red Green’s motto is “if they don’t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy” and his handy man’s tool was duct tape.
It has now become popular amongst crafty preteens and teenagers who appear limitless in their imagination on what they can make with duct tape. They have made everything from shoes, boots, hats and purses. Incredibly, there is also an annual contest for the best prom dress made strictly from duct tape, with the winners receiving tuition money.
There is even a book on alternative uses and objects that can be made from duct tape. A quick search on YouTube about duct tape will bring up hundreds of tutorials on instructions for Duct tape wallets, flowers, woven beach bags, bows, and cell phone cases. It can even be used for First Aid; if you put Duct tape on a wart for a week, it will make it disappear.
Myth buster’s has gotten into testing duct tape ...
... middle of paper ...
...ussed the many uses of duct tape, who creates and supplies duct tape, what duct tape does, why we think duct tape is useful and how we think duct tape will be around and useful in five years.
Tropes Foundation. (n.d.). troperville. RSS. Retrieved March 25, 2014, from http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quotes/DuctTapeForEverything
3M. (2014, January 1). Duct Tape. Â Â . Retrieved March 23, 2014, from http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/3M-Tape-and-3M-Adhesives/Masking-and-Duct-Tapes/Duct-Tape?N=5472497&rt=c3
Ament, P. (2006, April 5). Duct Tape History - Invention of Duct Tape. Duct Tape History - Invention of Duct Tape. Retrieved March 23, 2014, from http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/ducttape.htm
Wikipedia. (n.d.). Duct tape. Wikipedia. Retrieved March 24, 2014, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Bam erectly elevated himself with the tech nine in his hand, “Block them niggas in Bruh. That’s yo’ shit.” Quay dashed out with the headlights on wanting to get a clear look at them. The roof dropped back on the convertible, simultaneously. Never seeing it coming, the thieves were frozen. Quay then realized that three of the thieves had confronted him at the Dome. The dude that had mumbled under his breath had driven the Hurst. The fourth dude, lo and behold, was Kane. He had gotten out on the passenger side.... [tags: Fuck, Profanity, Kane Waselenchuk, Duct tape]
1672 words (4.8 pages)
- “April Fools, I’m not really sick.” These were the last words ever spoken to me, the last thing I ever heard besides the quiet groans and indistinguishable gibberish coming from the lips of a man who had once been so lively and strong. We thought it was seasonal depression and that it would go away once winter turned to spring. However, what we didn’t know was that we were horribly wrong. As winter turned to spring, things began to grow worse, the once mental symptoms, soon spread to physical symptoms and he grew weak.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, Grandfather clause]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- Technology and Beckett’s Play, Krapp’s Last Tape “bois seul bouffe brûle crêve seul comme devant les absents sont morts les présents puent sors tes yeux détourne-les sur les roseaux se taquinent-ils ou les aïs pas la peine il y a le vent et l’état de veille” -Samuel Beckett, Untitled As an avant-garde writer and a trend starter, Beckett was intensely in touch with his own time and its most significant realities, one of which being technological progress.... [tags: Krapp’s Last Tape Essays]
1174 words (3.4 pages)
- Introduction One of the philosophical decisions made by novice athletic trainers is determining which is better: taping or bracing the ankle joint. There are several factors to consider including efficiency, stability, injury prevention and cost effectiveness. Ankle sprains are one of the most common athletic injuries with most occurring to the lateral ligaments of the ankle.1, 2,3,4,5 In American Football ankle sprains comprise approximately 10-15% of all injuries whereas 70% of college basketball players have had at least one ankle sprain.... [tags: sports medicine, traumatology]
1303 words (3.7 pages)
- “Tape” is a short ten minute play by Jose Rivera. It’s a play that only has two characters, a Person and an Attendant. It takes place in a small dark room with no windows and only one door. Inside the room are a chair and a table with a reel-to-reel tape recorder and a glass and pitcher of water. This play is about a Person who is brought to the small room by the Attendant to listen to every lie the Person has told in life. Every single lie was recorded and now it’s time that the Person gets to listen to all of them.... [tags: person, an attendant]
855 words (2.4 pages)
- ... Richard Drew’s breakthrough invention of transparent tape was a big hit with American families. The Great Depression hit the United States in the 1930s, but soon after Drew’s invention, many people began to buy and appreciate his marvelous invention. Americans found that transparent tape could be used to fix various household items, from taping torn pages of a book, to mending broken toys. The transparent tape was incredibly versatile. Since Americans had less available income to spend, they turned to scotch tape to mend mundane items but also to make objects last for longer periods of time.... [tags: Repair, Transparent]
612 words (1.7 pages)
- Samuel Beckett's "Krapp's Last Tape" is about a man, Krapp, who through his spools of tape, looks back on his life whilst alone in his den. He is at present sixty-nine years of age and has retrieved a spool, which dates back thirty years, age thirty-nine. My opinion is that he is an alcoholic and that he has let himself go, so much so, that he wears ragged clothes, his appearance is of a scraggy, unshaven old man. His mind works in the same manner as his body: slow and labored. He refers to his alcoholism by saying "a man in my condition" and his resolutions, in which he promised to drink less.... [tags: European Literature]
494 words (1.4 pages)
- Krapp's Last Tape: Imagery in Color During the 20th century, there was an evident disillusion and disintegration in religious views and human nature due to the horrific and appalling events and improvements in technology of this time, such as the Holocaust and the creation of the atom bomb. This has left people with little, if any, faith in powers above or in their own kind, leaving them to linger in feelings of despair and that life is an absurd joke. From these times grew the Theater of Absurd.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- Investigating the Best Type of 19mm Sticky Tape For the major Science Investigation this year I have decided to test a very commonly used household and office tool. The sticky tape or pressure-sensitive tape. In this specific investigation the different types of sticky tape being tested and investigated are all 18-19mm in length. There is the Scotch 600 clear and transparent tape which is expensive, then an 18mm wide, black electrical tape. A yellowish coloured masking tape, a brown cellophane tape which is 19mm wide and then cheap Officeworks sticky tape which was only 78c which 18mm wide.... [tags: Papers]
1649 words (4.7 pages)
- Mix-tape Phenomenon "This rap game, this rap game / I ain't sellin' my soul for this rap game..." - 50 Cent Just 20 years ago, hip-hop music was thought to be just a simple fad, passing its way through the mainstream of pop music leaving classic dance hall anthems like Kurtis Blow's "Basketball" and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five's "White Lines (Don't Do It)" in its wake. But today, hip-hop is a worldwide phenomenon, marking its influence in the world of fashion design (Jay-Z's Roca-Wear and OutKast clothing lines), product marketing (McDonald's and Sprite), and even television shows and movies (Eminem's "8-Mile" and most recently, "Honey," starring Jessica Alba).... [tags: Music Arts Rap Papers]
2431 words (6.9 pages)