Essay PreviewMore ↓
When most people think of drill bits they think of drill bits they think of the simple tool that can be found in any house or machine shop. The drill bits are relatively simple in design and are typically used for drilling through wood and metals. Most people don’t realize that when companies drill in the earth for oil they also use drill bits. However, the drill bits used in this process are very complicated in nature, not to mention costly. These drill bitts cost on average between $30,000 and $50,000 dollars, but can cost as in the 150,000+ range. Due to the high cost of these bits, it is important for any supply manager working in this industry to have an understanding of how they work and their intended uses. To completely understand the engineering that goes into these bits would probably require someone to have a degree in mechanical or petroleum engineering. However, with some basic understanding of the different kinds of bits and the manufacturing process behind them, it is possible for a supply manager to properly identify and purchase the proper bit for the project he/she is working on.
The intended use of the drill bits is quite easy to understand. Like the drill bits in found in a simple hand drill, all drill bits are intended to make a hole. The major difference being that you are drilling in rock formations and the hole is 5-30 inches in diameter. These are the two main factors in determining which type of drill bit that should be selected. There are many categories and sub categories of drill bits that drill into rock formations. However, in the modern oilfield the most commonly used type of bit is the rotary drill bit. There are two main types or rotary drill bits, drag bits, and rolling cutter bits.
Drag bits are a type of drill bit that uses a fixed cutter blade to drill into a rock formation. Drag bits physically plow or machine cuttings from the bottom of the hole. Unlike rolling cutter bits, drag bits have no moving parts, which decreases the likelihood that unwanted material could be left in the hole. Drag bits can be further broken down into three categories base on the design and the material they are comprised of.
How to Cite this Page
"Drill Bits." 123HelpMe.com. 19 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Today many types of drill accessories and tools are used for domestic and commercial tasks. The use of cordless drill accessories prove effective for doing a hole in roofs or walls. In this regard, drill is an ideal item used in many types of applications. Drill accessory set is an essential item for metal and wood working and various other construction projects. According to the experts, drill accessory is designed to make a hole in hard walls. It is developed with rotating cutting method that can works effectively even in the concrete walls.... [tags: Tools]
567 words (1.6 pages)
- The use of drill accessories are increasing for commercial as well as domestic projects. The reason is that these cordless drill accessories can perform multiple tasks in a short time. Whether you are making a hole in a wall or mixing liquid for painting, it is essential to include drill accessories with other equipment. While purchasing for drill tools, you can get all essential drill parts in form of drill accessory set. This set is considered an essential item for wood and metal applications and also used for other construction tasks.... [tags: Informative Essay]
647 words (1.8 pages)
- Welcome to Magnum Drill Bits in Canoga Park, CA, where you can be assured of finding a great selection of quality drills for affordable prices. When you are in need of a magnum drill bit, Magnum Drill Bits is the right online store for you. Boring a hole is much easier when you have the right tools to get the job done. We carry various types of drill bits that are suitable for the job. Some of these are the magnum drill bit 29 piece set, magnum silver and demming ½” shanked drill bits, and a magnum tap and drill set.... [tags: Drill, Drill bit, Drilling, Reamer]
1516 words (4.3 pages)
- VI. Turning on and Setting up the Mill If the mill is not already on, press the green “Start” button D on the right side of the control panel located on the mill. Once started up, there are a few operating parameters to check before proceeding with the mill. Find the button with the words “Manual” and “Auto” and click it towards “Auto”. Find the button labeled “Coolant” and click the button to the Auto position, which will give you control of the coolant system (using the Ctrl+C command on the keyboard).... [tags: Drill, Drill bit, Drilling, Drill bit sizes]
2122 words (6.1 pages)
- Impact Drivers-A Complete Guide When you think of iconic, must have tools that you will find in every garage, what do you usually think of. Most people will probably say cordless drills, circular saws, hammers, etc., tools like that. What people most people probably would not name, are impact drivers. Although they are not a well-known tool, at least when compared with cordless drills and saws, they are a very useful tool to have around. Impact drivers are small, cordless drill like tools, that are used to either loosen screws and nuts that are unable to be taken out by a traditional screwdriver; on the other hand, they are also used to tighten screws and nuts that need to be tightened with... [tags: Drill, Drill bit, Screw, Want]
1071 words (3.1 pages)
- Drill-Bit Manufacturing company, Inc. wants to license its product out to Mexico. Dill-Bit should take certain steps to protect its IPR. Within the Mexico licensing agreement, Drill- Bit manufacturing should lay out what its expectations are and how they should be met. Drill-Bits success largely depends on the quality of its products. This has been apparent in both the home market and over seas. Its German manufacturer has kept the same standards as in the U.S. which has lead to a licensing agreement that has been completely satisfactory.... [tags: Case Study Solution]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- The evolution of the strike causes an evolution in the self-perceptions of the Africans themselves, one that is most noticeable in the women of Bamako, Thies, and Dakar. These women go from seemingly standing behind the men in their lives, to walking alongside them and eventually marching ahead of them. When the men are able to work the jobs that the train factory provides them, the women are responsible for running the markets, preparing the food, and rearing the children. But the onset of the strike gives the role of bread-winner-or perhaps more precisely bread scavenger-to the women.... [tags: essays research papers]
1047 words (3 pages)
- On a bright sunny, but breezy afternoon my fiancé Adam and I made our way out towards Cade 21, an oil rig that he works on. On this day its location is close to the town of Eaton, near the intersection of county roads 74 and 29. You can see the derrick of the rig in the middle of a field, standing tall and white, like the Eiffel Tower, surrounded by large blue, yellow, or white containers. You turn onto a dirt path, where there is a small sign, letting you know that this is the entrance of Cade 21.... [tags: environmentalism, economics]
2553 words (7.3 pages)
- God's Bits of Wood by Sembene Ousmane The novel God's Bits of Wood by Sembene Ousmane is an account of the strike Senegalese trainworkers underwent in pursuit of equal benefits and compensation from their French employers. In an effort to coerce the workers into returning to their jobs, the French cut off the water and food supply to the three villages wherein these events transpire: Thies, Dakar, and Bamako. Ousmane's novel explores the way in which these hardships evolve the worker's and their families till the strike is ultimately resolved.... [tags: Ousmane Bits Wood Analysis]
1029 words (2.9 pages)
- Analysis of Sembene Ousmane's God's Bits of Wood Sembene Ousmane's third novel, God's Bits of Wood, was originally written and published in French as Les Bouts de bois de Dieu. The novel is set in pre-independence Senegal and follows the struggles of the African trainworkers in three cities as they go on strike against their French employers in an effort for equal benefits and compensation. The chapters of the book shift between the cities of Bamako, Thies, and Dakar and track the actions and growth of the men and women whose lives are transformed by the strike.... [tags: God's Bits of Wood Sembene Ousmane Essays]
707 words (2 pages)
The second type pf bit used is known as a Rolling Cutter bit. The bits use rotating cones, usually three, to break up the formation. They are much more cost effective that PDC bits, but because of their moving parts, there is a greater chance that one of the cones could break off in the hole resulting in a costly “trip” to remove it. There are basically two types of Rolling Cutter bits, one made with steel teeth and the other made with tungsten carbide teeth. The steel toothed bits are typically used in soft rocks because of their high drilling rate in these formations. However, they can be made with shorter teeth, which are more effective in harder rock formations. One advantage of the steel toothed type is that they have self sharpening teeth because they have a hard facing on one side of the tooth. Tungsten carbide bits are the most effective type of bit if you are drilling in a hard or very hard rock formation because tungsten carbide is very hard but brittle material. Most of the time these bit will fail due to breakage rather than wear because of this brittleness. The major advantage that these bits have over most other types of bits is their ability to handle a high bit weight at a high rpm. This leads to their effectiveness in hard rock formations. Supply managers should only consider Rolling Cutter bits when the hole is shallow because of their tendency to wear out faster than Drag bits. Basically, Rolling Cutter bits are much more cost effective but far less reliable than their counterparts.
All types of drill bits eventually wear out and become ineffective. When this happens most companies either dispose of the bit, or sell it to a company that remanufactures bits. Remanufactured bits are always are risky proposition but can pay off in the end. Because bits are so expensive to manufacture or buy, a lot of companies will turn to remanufactured bits to cut costs on a job. This would probably sound good to any supply manger but there are a few things that he must consider before purchasing a remanufactured bit. The first thing he must consider is the reputation of the company that is selling the bit. If they have a good reputation then buying from them may be a good idea. However, most of the time you will be buying these bit from smaller companies in countries that do not have quality standards to follow. If this is the case then you should probably consider buying a new bit or shipping a bit over from a company that you trust. Another major factor is the depth of the hole being drilled and the formation that you are drilling in. As I said before, making a trip to change a bit is always costly. So, if you are drilling a deep hole or if the formation is one that tends to wear bits out, this may be a good time to go with a new bit. In the case of Rolling Cutter bits, this especially risky because of the chance of one of the cones breaking off in the hole. Retrieving it from the hole can require several trips and can take days, costing the company serious money.