My feet pounded the ground. Hard. Over and over again. Every impact sent a jolt of pain up my legs. My breathing came in rapid, wheezing gasps. I wanted to barf. My stomach felt as if it had been cut open. My throat burned as if a thousand white-hot needles had been stabbed into it and left there. My right arm hung uselessly at my side. The moonless night sky was sprinkled with stars which disappeared as I entered the thick forest. Blood pouring from my shoulder painted a trail behind me, marking every step I took. Three times I stumbled, fell, and almost lost consciousness. Three times I fought the eternal sleep threatening to overtake me, coughed up blood, and used my left arm to push myself up. And still I ran. If they caught me, if I couldn't get the dagger hidden in my belt to the secret sanctuary hidden in the forest, all would be lost.
Just when I was about to give up, to collapse and let the Angel of Death take me away, I caught a glimpse of hope, a deep purple flame, the sign of the Secret Draconic Society. It was metaphysical, invisible to anyone without third-eye sight. As I got closer to the flame, I noticed it was held by a man in a black robe with red trim and a hood covering his face. A raspy voice emitted from beneath the hood.
“So, you've finally shown up.” As he spoke, the flame flickered and went out. After a moment of darkness, the area was illuminated by an eerie black flame which gave off just as much light as the purple one had.
“What's the matter, Morotio?” The raspy voice taunted. “You used to be so talkative. Well, maybe I can fix that. Kilgorin!”
At the sound of its name, the Shadow detached itself from the ground, rising to about 9 feet, the average height of a full-grown Shadow. ...
... middle of paper ...
...er of the room, next to a girl with long blond hair. She wore a black tank top and mini-skirt. She looked bored. Jared walked over to the computer and sat, feeling nervous. His whole life, he had been alone. Nobody had ever bothered to reach out to him, and if he tried himself to make friends, he would always be treated with scorn and disrespect. Surely this girl, beautiful as she was, would be the same.
“Hi. I'm Courtney. What's you're name?”
Jared looked at the girl in shock. Could she really be talking to me!? “Um, I'm Jared.”
“Nice to meet you, Jared. Where are you from?”
“Well, I just moved from Idaho.”
“The home of the potato?”
Jared had to roll his eyes at that. “Yeah. Best potatoes in the world.”
Courtney laughed. “Eh, I don't like potatoes much... But that's just me.”
“Yeah, neither do I. It's kinda why my family moved. We've always hated em.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Red Dragon by Thomas Harris The novel Red Dragon by author Thomas Harris has 454 pages and I have divided them into 4 sections. The first section of this book will be 113 pages long and consist of exactly 10 chapters.... [tags: Harris Red Dragon]
1713 words (4.9 pages)
- Dragon-Chinese culture Name Date According to the Chinese culture, the drugs are considered to be legends, which helped the society during the hard times, for example times of war against enemies. According to the Chinese mythology, dragons were creatures with four legs, whose bodies were covered with scales. According to the beliefs of the Chinese people, dragons had power over nature, and as a result controlled natural phenomena such rainfall, floods and even the occurrence of hurricanes.... [tags: dog, dragon, symbol]
534 words (1.5 pages)
- Empress Dowager Tzu His Exposed in Sterling Seagrave's Dragon Lady China’s great ancient empire has been the source of stories, fables, and fascination throughout the world for generations. The Asian culture has a long history of powerful leaders and ruthless battles making it one of the longest standing powers that the world has ever known. Yet, what took centuries to create was destroyed during the reign of a single ruler, plunging the country into chaos and confusion. The one who often is believed to have generated this collapse is the Empress Dowager Tzu His, the last Empress of China.... [tags: Sterling Seagrave Dragon Lady]
592 words (1.7 pages)
- The Reluctant Dragon GRADE LEVEL: This is a relatively short book and would be good for third or forth graders or for someone at an intermediate reading level. This packet will be designed for third graders. SYNOPSIS: The setting of this book takes place in medieval times in a small English village. It's about a boy, his mother and father, a dragon, a dragon slayer, and the people of the village. It all begins when the father of the boy discovers a dragon in a cave in the countryside. The father tells the boy and the boy proceeds to go and find the dragon.... [tags: Book Report Dragon Essays Children's Books]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Fantastic Elements of Saint George and The Dragon Margaret Hodges adapted "Saint George and The Dragon" from its original work that was written by Edmund Spencer. "Saint George and The Dragon" is a short story that was published in 1984. Margaret Hodges, who adapted this fantastic literature, is from North America. " Saint George and The Dragon" shows many characteristic of Magical Realism; however, it is Fantastic Literature. "Saint George and The Dragon" is similar to Magical Realism because the characters within the story treat the events as a normal occurrence.... [tags: Saint George and The Dragon]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- Saint George and the Dragon as Fantastic Literature Set "in the days when monsters and giants and fairy folk lived," Margaret Hodges' tale Saint George and the Dragon brings to the world of children Edmund Spenser's classic Faerie Queene. Retold in children's format in 1984, Saint George and the Dragon is based upon Spenser's English legend of the sixteenth century. Through examination of the characteristics that describe fantastic and magical realist literature, a more concise understanding of magical realism can be obtained.... [tags: Saint George and the Dragon Essays]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- The Genus Varanus komodoensis, or more commonly known as the Komodo dragon is the largest living lizard on Earth. The Komodo dragon belongs to the class reptilian and the phylum Chordata. They are a species of Monitor Lizard that have been isolated for millions of years on the islands in Indonesian Archipelago and were not discovered until the First World War (Diamond, 1994). The Komodo dragon is an immense reptile that can grow up to an average of three meters long and weigh 150kg. They have a complete digestive system and an internal skeletal system composed of both bone and cartilage.... [tags: national park, amphibians]
916 words (2.6 pages)
- Prologue My feet pounded the ground. Hard. Over and over again. Every impact sent a jolt of pain up my legs. My breathing came in rapid, wheezing gasps. I wanted to barf. My stomach felt as if it had been cut open. My throat burned as if a thousand white-hot needles had been stabbed into it and left there. My right arm hung uselessly at my side. The moonless night sky was sprinkled with stars which disappeared as I entered the thick forest. Blood pouring from my shoulder painted a trail behind me, marking every step I took.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
785 words (2.2 pages)
- Beowulf and the Dragon Beowulf is a poem about strength and courage. This is illustrated in the eighth section of the story called “Beowulf and the Dragon.” A slave, a hero and a dragon play a big role in this section. The characters are well developed, as is the setup for the conclusion of the poem. In the scene, “Beowulf and the Dragon,” a slave guilty of wrongdoing has to steal to earn his freedom and be forgiven for what he has done wrong. The slave decides to steal a beautiful cup to pay off his mistake, which was probably murder.... [tags: Anglo Saxon Strength Poems Essays]
551 words (1.6 pages)
- Dragon Slayer The musty odor lingered across his nose. "This was it, this was the cave" he whispered under his breath. He knew this would be a challenge. The entrance of the cave was scattered with the bones of many who dared entered. He knew he had to do this even if this was the last thing he ever did. The young knight entered the musty cave with all the silence of a stalking leopard. The cave was a gloomy sight, even in the interior of the cave there were bones of many past knights.... [tags: essays research papers]
906 words (2.6 pages)