In one section on Dr. Phil 's website, he gives advice on parenting. One article found in the parenting section entitled, Advice for Getting Your Child to do Anything which talks about enforcing discipline to improve behavior. What one must do is to “remove your child 's currency”. This includes toys and privileges. He calls this “Commando Parenting.” While this technique does enforce punishment, it won 't teach the child what he or she did wrong. This especially goes for a younger child who may not know why their toys are getting taken away. In this article, Dr. Phil doesn 't talk about how this discipline method would get a “child to do anything.” This article 's headline effect draws readers in, but doesn 't explain how this kind of punishment will do as the title had said. The two concepts don 't quite seem to go together which also causes the Barnum Effect. The majority Dr. Phil 's advice is very well-thought out and psychologically, physiologically, and biologically. His experience and schooling makes his source reliable. In his episodes, Dr. Phil accurately depicts the science/biology of the way in whi...
... middle of paper ...
...ple on his show. I like the way he makes others take responsibility for their actions. He doesn 't make the matter seem worse than it should be, but he also lets people know that they need to get their act together and stop blaming each other for their problems. He 's a credible source in many topics, but child development doesn 't seem like his strongest area of expertise. A few points (specifically in his article about getting children to do whatever you want) could have been more accurate. He just talks about punishment and negative reinforcement in this article. He doesn 't really illustrate how or why this technique is the best way to help children. Although he doesn 't prove this throughout his article, reading through the abstracts I researched helped me understand how important positive reinforcement and rewards are to helping shape a child 's behavior.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the past fifty years media has played a major role in the development of the American society. Due to our modern era, video games of all types are played on a daily basis by a large amount of children. However, some of these games, especially the extremely violent ones, can be detrimental to a child’s thought processes and behavior. In my investigation of whether or not violent video games negatively affect children, I read two articles about the effects of violent video games on the youth. The first text was an article entitled, “Children and Violent Video Games”, which was found on the Dr.... [tags: bullying, dr. phil, advice]
1318 words (3.8 pages)
- Phil Jackson is a well-known man in the basketball world, as a championship coach and leader. Not only for his knowledge of basketball was he considered great, it was also for his use of alternative spiritual methods to assist his coaching. Through his Naturalist and Pantheist worldview he left a legacy of a role model. Phil Jackson’s views about the nature of God, career, and family are ultimately shaped by his worldview of Naturalism and Pantheism. Comparing my worldview of Christianity to Phil Jackson’s nature of God, career, and family, we will determine whether the role model status is relevant to how I perceived a role model.... [tags: Phil Jackson, Coach]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- Blogger vs. WordPress the Winner Revealed There are so many website hosting platforms and websites available on the internet for blogging purposes and many others. Two very eminent names which come to mind when it comes to blog hosting is Blogger and WordPress. Since newbies find it very difficult as to which of these two to choose, it is very imperative for everybody who would love to own a blog get know the differences in features that they both share and have. They both have some features which clearly differentiate them and clearly make one win when it comes to which of them is the best.... [tags: Blog, Blogger, Website, Pyra Labs]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- We are a website development company that is focused solely on the quality of our work and the efficiency of our website design and development operations performed by our experienced design teams. We offer a wide variety of website development options guaranteed to be effective in making your website stunning and captivating to any customers or visitors that you may receive. Professional Web Design Company Web applications are continuing to expand and have become more complicated than they once were.... [tags: Website, Web design, World Wide Web, Design]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- “If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday,” quoted Pearl Buck. Most everyone has a time in their life where history becomes important to them. Whether that be tracing back family heritage, writing a research essay, or just out of curiosity. All and all, history is very influential to people’s lives and what better way to learn about history then to visit the website “Image Archive on the American Eugenics Movement.” This credible website offers an opportunity for the public to learn more about our American history in an interactive and creative way.... [tags: Website Review, Reliable Sources]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- A Critique of “OPEC” – The Website OPEC stands for “Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries” and is comprised of the largest oil-producing nations of the world. Through OPEC, these Member Countries work together to control the price and availability of oil--one of the most significant commodities in today’s worldwide economy. Founded in September of 1960 with headquarters in Vienna, the OPEC organization is currently comprised of twelve member countries (History of OPEC, 1). OPEC’s mission is defined in a formal organizational statute that identifies their role “to coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order t... [tags: Website Review]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- In England in 2009 smoking attributed to over 81,000 deaths in those over 35 years old, 18 per cent of all deaths in this age group (The Information Centre NHS, 2011). Over sixty years ago the causal link between smoking and lung cancer was recognized (Doll, R. and Hill, A., 1950). Since that time smoking has been linked to numerous types of cancer (IARC, 2002) and other diseases (NHS Choices, 2009). As a consequence the nurses' role in promoting smoking cessation is vital. Effectiveness in this role depends upon understanding the evidence in order to overcome any misunderstandings that patients may have.... [tags: Website Review]
2227 words (6.4 pages)
- A website is a source where people can find information about a company or entrepreneurship. A website will also help expand a business by being able to communicate with customers and employees in an effective manner. The cost of a website is inexpensive in which there is only a one-time fee. Competition exists in every business that will lead to innovation that will introduce new products and methods in which all businesses need. This website will make it convenient to make any changes or new advertisements for a business.... [tags: Web hosting service, Website, Web server]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Medium of production, textual form, perspective and choice of language are all core factors in influencing the meaning of a text. Choice of language can play a pivotal role in providing an insight into the author of a texts' perspective, which is vital when determining the intended meaning of a text. Textual form and the medium of production of a text are also important, as these help to convey the author's perspective, and results in a better understanding of the meaning of the text. The impacts of these factors will be evaluated in the following examples, which illustrates how they can influence meaning in texts, in regards to the relationships between individual memory and documented... [tags: Website Analysis]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- Critique of a Website Web sites are just like magazines, newspapers, brochures, menus, or even directions on how to make nitroglycerin from house-hold goods, in that they all have to be put together in such a manner that whoever is reading or browsing over it will be able to clearly distinguish this from that. In this sense, a critique of any particular web site will have justification, while carefully considering also that this is an altogether new medium of information exchange. Now, all of this talk of togetherness is actually a general reference to basic design principles, such as color coordination, if color is used, text size, font choice/ style, art integration, accessibility, and j... [tags: Website Design Analysis Essays Papers]
1625 words (4.6 pages)
- A Midsummer Night 's Dream By William Shakespeare
- Biography Of Landa Daren 's Parents Were Both Wonderful Adults
- Eve 's Choice : No Freedom
- How Alzheimer 's Really Have That Much Of An Impact On Your Daily Routine?
- The Physics Of Quantum Mechanics
- Marx And Freud 's Theory Of Alienation And Discontent