This paper will highlight successes and failures of each strategy, then use case studies to show how they have been applied in American cities. Case studies will include; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon, and Phoenix Arizona, all that have made extensive efforts over the last 40 years to revitalize their downtowns.
The Emergence and Decline of American Downtowns
In order to provide a perspective on American downtown development I have identified stages and eras through history that have had major impacts on their development. There has been extensive literature on development ...
... middle of paper ...
...ions for America. 2003. “ Viable Economics”. Solutions for America University of
revitalization.html accessed October 3, 2011.
Robertson, Kent A. 1995. “Downtown redevelopment strategies in the United States an
end-of-the- century assessment”. Journal of the American Planning Association
61:4 1995. pp. 429–437.
Robertson, Kent A. 1997. “Downtown Retail Revitalization: A Review of American
Development Stratigies”. Planning Perspectives 12 1997. pp 383-401.
Ward, David. 1971. Cities and Immigrants: A Geography of Change in Nineteenth
Century America. New York: Oxford University Press.
West, Darrell M. Orr, Marion. 2003. “Downtown Malls as Engines of Economic
Development, Community Spirit, and Political Capital”. Economic Development
Quarterly 17:2 2003. pp. 193-204.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- SYMPTOMS Symptoms that show downtown London is in need of revitalization include; <ul> <li> A general migration out of the downtown core to the suburbs. <li> Large companies moved out of London to larger urban centres that could provide.... <li> The publics view of downtown was dirty, their philosophy was downtown was "dirty with nothing going on. </ul> PROBLEM Creation of highway networks outside the city and subsequent growth of suburban communities transformed the way citizens worked lived and spent their leisure time.... [tags: Business Case Studies]
505 words (1.4 pages)
- Cleveland was founded the City of Cleveland in 1796. Originally a frontier village, Cleveland grew into a manufacturing and business center for northern Ohio. Today, the city is headquarters for manufacturing and service industries, as well as a growing tourism and convention destination. The Cleveland Plus region extends 100 miles along the Lake Erie shoreline. Cleveland Plus Region is separated into five distinct districts; Historic Warehouse District, Playhouse Square District, Civic Center District, North Coast Harbor District, Flats District, and Historic Gateway District (Cleveland Plus History).I lived in Cleveland for 16 years and Cleveland will always remain my one true home.... [tags: Cleveland, Ohio, History, Downtown]
1043 words (3 pages)
- KFC and Burberry brand revitalization. It is often said that the business will have to develop its marketing strategy whether small, medium or large business because of the growing marketing and competitive business increased rapidly. Therefore, don’t be surprised if the business has failed and successful. The successful business around the worlds which are KFC and Burberry. Those are interesting marketing strategy because of the challenged of the marketing with a long time, experiencing the issue failed and band revitalization of marketing strategy.... [tags: Advertising, Brand, Marketing, Brand equity]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- The current wave of economic revitalization resonates as a wake-up call for governments to come up with appropriate policies and apply them in both private and public administration to be at par with global competition from countries that they have historically shared favorable trade relations. As a result of this awareness, public sectors in these nations have continued to experience periodic policy reforms all aimed at increasing efficiency in the use of public resources as well as reducing prodigality.... [tags: Management, Strategic management]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- In the University of Houston-Downtown, there are a plethora of individuals attending. From 18 year olds to 60 year olds, the university assists everyone who is serious about bettering their lives with education. With “Major Opportunities” as their slogan, there are no let down of chances given to students. The three people I’ve interviewed: a fellow peer, my mother, and a UHD faculty member, all had an assortment of reasons of how the university affects them. The purpose of the interviews was to find out the purpose of the university to people associated with the college.... [tags: University, High school, Student, College]
1583 words (4.5 pages)
- Downton Abbey shows the need to leave the Victorian era behind to usher in twentieth century values because women wanted to choose their own life paths rather than following tradition. However, numerous people associated with Downton believed that maintaining tradition had more of an importance than moving on with the twentieth century. During the first season of Downton Abbey, there were many instances where the viewer could see the conflict between characters who wanted the Victorian period values to be cherished and maintained, while others wanted change.... [tags: victorian era, England, twentieth century]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- What a whirlwind this semester has been. It seemed like 15 weeks would be such a long time, but in actuality it was done in a blink of the eye. I have learned so much during this internship at the Renaissance Denver Downtown, and it has truly shaped the direction of my career path. I started this internship with the thought that I was going to learn everything I could about the sales department, so that I could successfully work with hotel sales departments when I was a corporate meeting planning.... [tags: Hotel, Management, Sales management]
1499 words (4.3 pages)
- Mythical Pasts: Ethiopianism as a Revitalization Movement Throughout history, identification with Ethiopian heritage has been a familiar concept to the Jamaicans who have suffered under slavery, colonialism and social oppression. This concept of "Ethiopianism" includes the appreciation of Ethiopia’s ancient civilization as well as its profound role in the Bible and world history. It has long been manifested in Jamaican culture as a means to identify with a glorious, righteous, and perhaps the earliest of all human civilization.... [tags: essays papers]
4884 words (14 pages)
- Downtown is the commercial center of city or town. Downtown is a main target for employment and a great place to live in most cities. It should be the biggest attraction and most beautiful place of the city. Los Angles downtown is voted to be one of the dirtiest downtowns and Los Angles is a big attraction to tourist. Cleaning up downtown would leave better impressions on tourist and also residents. The crime rate would get lower and their wont be any homeless people around. One of the most beautiful music centers is the Disney Hall.... [tags: Argumentative, Persuasive]
1397 words (4 pages)
- When the Heer’s Tower closed down in the 1960's, the downtown area of Springfield, MO. lost a major economic and entertaining element. Since then, Springfield has been planning and working to get back a lot of the status that it once had. The city government had to bring attractions and business in the form of new business’s to spur development to accommodate the 151,580 citizens that reside in the small city. Mayor Tom Carlson and City Manager Tom Finnie have been heading the projects with the help of large developing firms such as the UDA or Urban District Alliance, and hope that projects such as the redevelopment of Heer’s Tower, SMSU’s Innovation center, and College Stati... [tags: essays research papers fc]
2047 words (5.8 pages)