Domestic Violence is the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault and abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control by one partner against another. (NCADV) There are many kinds of domestic violence that can leave major emotional and physical scars for long periods of time. Domestic violence affects the elderly, same sex relationships, married or dating couples. There are ways to get help and get out of the situation safely.
Types of domestic violence include physical, emotional, financial, sexual, and spiritual abuse. Same sex, married and dating couples fall under same romantic category of domestic violence, usually described as IVP. IVP stands for intimate partner violence. The violence usually begins with what is known as a cycle of violence, an incident, tension building phase, making up phase, and the calming phase. As the violence continues for long periods of time often the making up and calm stages disappear. (http://www.domesticviolence.org/cycle-of-violence/)
Abuse is defined as the misuse of power and control. “Physical Abuse is the use of physical force against another person in a way that ends up injuring the person or puts the person at risk of being injured” (http://www.weaveinc.org/types-domestic-violence). Emotional abuse can be verbal or nonverbal. Characterized mainly by derogatory name calling. Financial abuse may include withholding resources, stealing from the victim, or using the victims name to incur a debt. Sexual abuse is often connected with physical abuse, unwanted sexual advances upon the victim. Spiritual abuse includes having to give things up important to you or forbidden to practice your moral or religious beliefs.
The cycle of ...
... middle of paper ...
...National Coalition Against Domestic Violence states that in the United States alone a woman is assaulted or beaten every 9 seconds. Physical violence is not limited to just a females, on average twenty people per minute are physically abused by a close partner in United States. In other words in a year this equals to 10 million women and men. (ncadv.org) The statistic show that domestic violence amounts to approximately 34 billion a year in law enforcement, legal activity, medical and mental resources, and company loss due absenteeism.(Dosomething.org) The Domestic Violence Act protects the elderly, same sex relationships and heterosexual married or dating couples. The best weapon against domestic violence is knowledge.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Domestic violence is the willful intimidation of power and control by an intimate partner against another. It doesn’t always look the same because every relationship is different. It can happen to any sex, age, race, gender, or religion group. Abusive relationships come in different forms including physical abuse, sexual abuse and even emotional abuses, but in all cases you find one partner controlling another. It can result in physical injuries, emotional trauma and sometimes death. All of these can affect a victim’s life for a long period of time.... [tags: Abuse, Child abuse, Domestic violence]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- We always hear the term of domestic violence, but we really know what domestic violence is. Is domestic violence just means a husband hits his wife. Of course not. First of all, the domestic violence not just happen to women, but also can happen to men. Secondly, physical abuse just a type of the domestic violence. We seems familiar with the term of domestic violence and far away from it, but actually, we are not. As the Huffingtone Post shown that the number of women who will experience partner violence worldwide is 1 in 3, which means that 18 of us sitting in this classroom, 6 of us may face domestic violence in the future.... [tags: Abuse, Child abuse, Domestic violence]
888 words (2.5 pages)
- The topic that I have chosen is one that has been a problem for years and has been discussed in several situations, locations, as well as programs. The topic is domestic violence and it is happening all around us on a daily basis to men as well as females. There is no gender that is safe from this topic, regardless of what some people may think. "Relationships can be an emotional roller coaster. Throughout the ride, men and women can be everything from loving and nurturing, to sometimes verbally and even physically abusive during fights.... [tags: Abuse, Domestic violence, Child abuse]
1492 words (4.3 pages)
- Domestic Violence: What Kids See The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence defines domestic violence as "the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another. It includes physical violence, sexual violence, psychological violence, and emotional abuse. The frequency and severity of domestic violence can vary dramatically; however, the one constant component of domestic violence is one partner’s consistent efforts to maintain power and control over the other." When it comes to domestic violence, there are many definitions from a vari... [tags: Domestic violence, Abuse, Psychological abuse]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- Dave Pelzer an American author, best known for his 1995 memoir of childhood abuse, A Child Called "It", once said “Childhood should be carefree, playing in the sun; not living a nightmare in the darkness of the soul.” Unfortunately, our children living in America are witnessing this horrendous experience each day. The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence defines domestic violence as “the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another” (2016).... [tags: Domestic violence, Violence, Child abuse, Abuse]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- Domestic Violence Victims Second Draft “The number of American troops killed in Afghanistan and Iraq between 2001 and 2012 was 6,488. The number of American women who were murdered by current or ex male partners during that time was 11,766” (Vagianos, 2014). Do you find these facts shocking. So do I. According to the Domestic Violence Statistics website, a woman is assaulted or beaten every 9 seconds in the US. It is reported domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women. Doing this research, I am also finding there are a large group of men who are also domestic violence victims.... [tags: Domestic violence, Child abuse, Abuse]
2835 words (8.1 pages)
- Domestic violence is comprised of willful intimidation, assault, battery, sexual assault or other abusive behavior committed by an intimate partner against another. According to The National Center for Victims of Crime (2011), aggressors of domestic violence persistently disparage, degrade or humiliate their partners. Unfortunately, domestic violence victims are known to habitually blame their own actions, rather than the violent behavior of the abuser. Conversely, violence perpetrated by abusers is repetitively self-driven and depends little on the victims' behavior.... [tags: Violence Against Children]
2112 words (6 pages)
- Understanding and Reforming Domestic abuse is a significant and threatening issue in the United States. Sadly, the rates of this shameful violence are increasing. This violence is not limited to the privacy of relationships and homes, it occurs everywhere and in all relationships. Football player, Ray Rice portrayed an act of domestic violence when he punched his wife and knocked her unconscious on February 15 of 2014. Women are heavily affected by this abuse and it’s the leading cause of injuries on women.... [tags: Domestic violence, Abuse, Psychological abuse]
1494 words (4.3 pages)
- Have you ever met someone who was in an abusive relationship. Have you ever been in one yourself. Well, many people in the United States and around the world are in relationships that involve violence and abuse. Domestic abuse is a serious issue that seems to be taboo in a sense to some. There needs to be change, because it is critical. Many women suffer, and in some cases, men suffer too. To begin with, the definition of domestic violence is “the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another” (“What Is Domestic Violence”).... [tags: Abuse, Child abuse, Psychological abuse]
1403 words (4 pages)
- Did you know that every 9 seconds a women is being beaten or assaulted. It is known that around the world, at least one and every three women has been beaten into having sex or some rudely thing in her entire lifetime. There are many cases where the abuser is a family member. Domestic violence is that the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sex crime, and different abusive behavior perpetrated by an intimate partner against another. It is a virulent disease touching people in each community, notwithstanding age, economic standing, race, religion, status or academic background.... [tags: assault, abuse, crime, behavior, WHO, children]
1010 words (2.9 pages)