Preventive care is not a new concept and dates back to the Carter administration when health care cost containment was first part of federal legislation. Its important to understand how preventive care is defined today. According to Mosby’s Medical Dictionary 8th edition (2009) preventive care is defined as,
a pattern of nursing and medical care that focuses on disease prevention and health maintenance. It includes early diagnosis of disease, discovery and identification of people at risk of development of specific problems, counseling, and other necessary intervention to avert a he...
... middle of paper ...
Johnson, P. A., & Fitzgerald, T. (2014). The affordable care act and opportunity to improve prevention in women: how to make the most of the law. Clinical Chemistry 101, 60(1), 138-140. doi:10.1373clinchem.2013.203703
Maciosek MV, Coffield AB, Edwards NM, Flottemesch TJ, Goodman MJ, Solberg LI. Priorities among effective clinical preventive services: results of a systematic review and analysis. Am J Prev Med 2006;31:52-61
Mokdad AH, Marks JS, Stroup DF, Gerberding JL. Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. JAMA 2004;291:1238-1245[Erratum, JAMA 2005;293:293-4, 298.]
Mosby, Inc (2009). Preventive care. In Mosby's medical dictionary (8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
National Commission on Prevention Priorities. Preventive care: A national profile on use, disparities, and health benefits. Washington, DC: Partnership for Prevention; Aug 2007.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This report analyzes a need for an inclusive monthly preventive maintenance program at State University’s Alumni House (SUAH). The purpose of this report is to provide Mr. Rob Geis, Alumni House Manager, with the information necessary to begin an inclusive monthly preventive maintenance program and to help process and solve unanticipated problems, while reducing high maintenance costs. The purpose of the preventive maintenance program (PMP) is to reduce structural damages, reduce monthly utility costs, and reduce potential problems, while educating employees about potential hazards, providing employees with a sense of environmental security, and increasing the physical appearance of the SUAH... [tags: Preventive Maintenance Program]
1301 words (3.7 pages)
- Around 200 years back the pace of mechanical change in the cutting edge period started to stimulate. Wind, water, and creature power, with their confinements of spot and limit, were supplemented and after that supplanted by the steam motor, which went ahead to power the processing plants of the mechanical upheaval. The railroad made it conceivable to move things and individuals rapidly over awesome separations. The broadcast and, later, the phone conveyed interchanges over the field. Electric lighting supplanted the faint gleam of candles, lamp oil, and gas lights.... [tags: Innovation, Research]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- Advances in medicine and preventative care measures have extended the life span of the aging population in the United States. This expansion has resulted in a growing need for more individuals needing long- term care. Long- term care is a broad range of supportive and health services for individuals with a broad range of chronic illnesses and disabilities for ninety days or more. Although this expands an age range from infancy to the elderly, for the purposes of this paper, I am focusing on the aging population.... [tags: medicare, medicaid, preventive care]
961 words (2.7 pages)
- The US dollar is the safest and most recognizable currency in the world. It is not based on anything other than the full faith and credit of the US government. Because the US is viewed as one of the most stable countries in the world this full faith and credit means that the currency is among the most used in the world as well. Many business exchanges done around the globe use the US dollar is the medium of exchange. Because of its widespread use and ability to be recognized the US dollar is the most influential currency in the world.... [tags: Currency, United States dollar, Dollar]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- Health promotion is a topic that is often discussed, but more often is rushed thru during a clinical appointment. Why. Shouldn’t medical professionals focus more of proactive care instead of reactive. Time is often to blame due to the limited number of medical providers that are required to cover a community. Time allotted to medical providers per appointment might only be 15 to 20 minutes. That doesn’t allow enough time for questions or guidance to be given to the patient to help improve their overall health.... [tags: Health care, Health, Medicine, Health science]
1288 words (3.7 pages)
- ... Based on different studies by WHO and Ministry of Health of Nepal there are many plans and policies to be executed in the next three years to bring dramatic change between the figures of Health Indicator targets. New initiative includes prevention and control of venereal diseases, introduction of vaccines, healthcare awareness program and different camps to be established in rural areas for free health service (http://www.nep.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Health_Information_HSC.pdf) Despite decades of foreign assistance Nepal still has a lot of room for improvement in the health sector.... [tags: rehabilitation, curative, preventive care]
2013 words (5.8 pages)
- Introduction: Birth control is an affordable basic preventive health care measure that is critical to achieving equality and economic justice for women and their families. Different types of birth control methods have large differences in effectiveness, actions required of users, and side effects for both men and women.(“Birth Control Access”). Birth control is made affordable and helps get justice for women and their. This shows that birth control is helpful towards preventing pregnancies.... [tags: Birth control, Pregnancy, Abortion]
1590 words (4.5 pages)
- Recently, the U.S. Dollar and British Pound are two strongest currencies in the world, and both currencies are freely floating currencies. The indirect exchange rate for USD to GBP as of May 3, 2016 is 1 USD = 0.67824 GBP, and the direct exchange rate is 1 GPB = 1.4744 USD. It looks like that currently British Pound is stronger than the U.S. Dollar. However, even 1 GBP is worth more than 1 USD, it does not necessarily mean that British economy is stronger than US economy. The best way to judge a currency’s worth is to watch it in relation to other currencies over time.... [tags: Inflation, United States dollar, Currency]
1973 words (5.6 pages)
- The United States Dollar Index, otherwise known as the DXY, is a general measurement of the value of the United States dollar bill (Marotta, 2015). The DXY calculated by averaging the exchange rates between the United States currency and the six major world currencies (Marotta, 2015). These currencies are the Canadian dollar, Pound, Krona, Euro, and Franc (Marotta, 2015). The DXY is an indicator rather than a true value, the numerical value is only relevant to its relation to the other currency values (Marotta, 2015).... [tags: United States dollar, Currency, Euro]
878 words (2.5 pages)
- A Phoney in The Fifty Dollar Bill In "The Fifty Dollar Bill" written by Donald Hall, the narrator of the story seems to be an honest man, but is he really. I believe for the most part he is very honest—except for when he did not want to be drafted so he bribed his congressman. He had several reasons for wanting to be exempt from the draft. He was always honest, until he realized he had something important that could be lost. The very beginning of the story starts with the narrator talking to us (the readers) about how honest he is.... [tags: The Fifty Dollar Bill]
1108 words (3.2 pages)
- Drones: Peace Keeper or Terrorist Teacher
- Texting and Social Media: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Title IX’s Lasting Effects on Gender Equality in Federally Funded Sports Activities
- Investigating Systematic and Idiosyncratic Risks in Money, Banking and Financial Markets
- The Great GMOs Debate
- Exploring Marriage in Regards to Social Class